Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: boys and girl guides

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RisingStar View Post
    Really? With more girls in Guides than Boys AND Girls in Scouts I hardly think that change is necessary, imminent, or likely to be welcomed. That's it really, Guiding is for girls not boys, sorry mate.
    Agree, can't see this happening, at least not for many many years. It was just idle speculation, especially wondering about how the GG would react if a more active group got on this and got vocal against the GG's position and how the whole Scouting landscape would change if they did change. It made my head hurt after a bit so wandered off to find something else more constructive to do.

Interestingly my phone just downloaded the latest Freakonomics podcast with the description:

What Do Nancy Pelosi, Taylor Swift, and Serena Williams Have in Common?: They — along with a great many other high-achieving women — were all once Girl Scouts. So was Sylvia Acevedo. Raised in a poor, immigrant family, she was told that “girls like her” didn’t go to college. But she did, and then became a rocket scientist and tech executive. Now she’s C.E.O. of the very organization she credits with shaping her life. Acevedo tells us how the Girl Scouts are trying to stay relevant, why they’re suing the Boy Scouts, and how they sell so many cookies.
    http://freakonomics.com/podcast/girl-scouts/

May make some interesting listening on the train home later.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Girl Guiding rules i.e. he isn't a girl, nor does he identify as a girl, bars him from joining - that's the rules they've made. I can totally see why they don't want to allow boys in, their ethos is different and it's very rare that boys would want to join. They have their own programme which is tailored to their membership.

Being girly doesn't make you identify as a girl, just like being a tom boy doesn't make you identify as being a boy - there is a gender fluidity there and at such a young age you can't expect every child to know or understand whether they identify as a boy or a girl if it might be different to the body they were born in.

Maybe Girl Guiding should open up to allow boys that would be interested in doing their programme, which is aimed at their membership (girls), or maybe not - that's a decision for them as an organisation.

In Scouting we've been a mixed sex organisation for years, but fundamentally the programme hasn't made a shift to be "girly" as that wouldn't be what our members would want - they join us because they like our programme.

And we should remember that Girls have always wanted to join Scouts, but weren't allowed to, which was why BP founded Guiding.
    Actually, they were allowed to join. The 1909 handbook even included details of Girl Scout uniform. It was only because so many did join, that B-P felt he had to do something about a separate organisation, and quick, for a number of reasons.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    I don’t think guiding would open it’s doors to boys, as they would then need to open the door to male leaders.
    There is a deeply entrenched anti-male sentiment in how they as an organisation treat males.
    Male adult helpers aren’t allowed to sleep in the same building as the girls.
    You still see questions asked about having to keep the girls inside if they are on a site that has scouts camping, in case they bump in to each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They are allowed to sleep in the same building. The only thing which has to be separate is bathroom facilities (which have to be separate from those used by the girls, but could be used by all adults attending.)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to fenris For This Useful Post:

Epona (18-07-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    There were loads of Girl Guides on the Strategy camp (which is open to Scouts and Guides), to the point where there were grumblings that by getting their bookings in early the Guides had limited the places for Scouts.
    Obviously those guide units have leaders who know the rules.
    It seems to be leaders who are new to their permit, which could imply the training/guidance isn’t clear.

Sent using Tapatalk
    Shaun

SL
    Hanging Heaton Scout Group

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fenris View Post
    Actually, they were allowed to join. The 1909 handbook even included details of Girl Scout uniform. It was only because so many did join, that B-P felt he had to do something about a separate organisation, and quick, for a number of reasons.

- - - Updated - - -

They are allowed to sleep in the same building. The only thing which has to be separate is bathroom facilities (which have to be separate from those used by the girls, but could be used by all adults attending.)
    Interesting, a parent who helps at Brownie had to sleep in an iso container as he wasn’t allowed to be in the building at night.

Sent using Tapatalk
    Shaun

SL
    Hanging Heaton Scout Group

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Interesting, a parent who helps at Brownie had to sleep in an iso container as he wasn’t allowed to be in the building at night.

Sent using Tapatalk
    If Scouting has 'local' rules then i'm sure the same is true of Guides.

As for the boy/girl/gender Identity/biological sex issue, at heart GGUK discriminates and if they are to continue to discriminate they either need to draw the line at Gender identity, or biological sex. Either which way it will cause upset somewhere , as their own membership rules will back them into one comer or the other, unless they go Co-ed

Thanks
    [QUOTE=Richard T;464735]If Scouting has 'local' rules then i'm sure the same is true of Guides.

Local rules are banned in Guiding (not that that prevents the national rules being interpreted in any way. Only reason for insisting on separate accommodation that I can see is that either there wasn't space for separate bathroom and bedroom - or that he didn't have Guiding PVG (in which case should not have been at Guiding residential event at all).