Thread: Is it just my scouts....

Thanks

Is it just my scouts....

So back from summer camp and there was a fascinating moment.

Sat round the fire during some downtime and one of the scouts produces some speakers and starts streaming some music from his phone. Here we go I think, a 14 year old's taste in music, I won't recognise any of this.... how wrong was I? He started taking requests from round the troop and we had some Neil Diamond, Chuck Berry, Elvis, David Bowie, Guns n Roses, Stone Roses, Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin.... the list of oldies went on and on!

Now my scouts are quite unashamedly for the most part a white, middle class group, so maybe that has some effect but I really wasn't expecting that mix of music.

Anyone else seeing this among teengagers?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CambridgeSkip For This Useful Post:

ASLChris (05-08-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,008 Times in 1,643 Posts
    It varies - At one point my lot went through a Rock n Roll period - Turned out the school was doing a production of Grease and that set them off. Another time, there was a flurry of interest in Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin etc.. Again, it was linked to a project at school that got them into different sounds. At the time we had about 75% of the Scouts wo were also going to music school.

Today, very few go to music school and, my judgemental view is that they have no musical taste at all.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,235 Times in 1,303 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CambridgeSkip View Post
    Anyone else seeing this among teengagers?
    Lots of mine like my indie tunes, handy really. My theory is that it's all available to them, so they just pick and choose what they like, that and movie/TV soundtracks are always pretty eclectic. That and they aren't really rebelling against anything, or their parents are into dad rock, so listening to Aretha Franklin is a form of rebellion. We did have one one minibus journey that was songs from bands playing at Reading that one kid put on...I'm glad I'm not going to Reading!
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    There's always a certain amount of that. Partly it will be ebcause that's what their parents listen/have listened to so they are aware of it. Good music is good music, regardless of when it was recorded!
    Chris Hawes, District Media Manager, Watford North Scout District and Watford Scouts; Group Treasurer and Webmaster, 9th North Watford Scout Group.
    Web designer of free Scouting templates, Scouting Themes 4 WordPress.

Social media
    Twitter: @WNScouts / @9NWScouts
    Facebook: /WNScouts
    Instagram: @WNScouts

Thanks
    Thanked 3,360 Times in 1,452 Posts
    scout age often don't have their own tastes in music yet.

they will listen to what their parents play in the car. That will be heart, capital etc or old albums.

Thanks
    Had a similar experience earlier in the year on a journey up to Snowdonia.

Having picked up the minibus a few days before I had been grumbling on a leaders group chat that stereo in the bus wasn't working. Cue leaders child turning up on the day with there impressive battery powered sound system!

Whilst initially very pleased to see the problem solved it occurred to me a few minutes after leaving that with this arrangement I no longer the have control I am used... this could be an awful 6 hour drive.

But to my surprise, not. A very varied and civilised playlist of what I, and both other leaders all considered "good" music! Seem to go down well with all.
    --
    Dan Sheehan
    Group Scout Leader
    9th Muswell Hill Scout Group

District Training Adviser
    District Executive Member
    District Appointment Advisory Comittee
    North London District Scouts

web: www.9thmuswellhill.org.uk
    twitter: @9thMuswellHill
    facebook: /9thmuswellhill

Thanks
    Thanked 3,008 Times in 1,643 Posts
    Here - driver chooses the playlist - if we were doing a trip this year it would be built around Runrig, Skippinish, Skerryvore, The Vatersay Boys, Tide Lines, and Manran, maybe a few others... That'll get some of you googling.

Odd thing is, I've been a long time fan of Status Quo, and they are of course on my player, but they come on alphabetically after Skippinish, and I tend to flip back to Skippinish nowadays. Maybe it is the sentimentality in me coming out, harking back to lost summers in the Highlands - but the music, the lyrics just seem to ring bells for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNn2UdI-kvA

Though... In 1975... the song of the summer that got worn out on the tape player was Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show - I Got Stoned and I Missed It... Played it on the bus not so long ago and the kids were absolutely horrified... But then again, they have no idea what the lyrics are in some of the stuff they listen to today.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    I think this is perhaps where technology has been beneficial.

In my day as a teenager your exposure to new forms of music was pretty limited to what was playing on the radio and what your mates were playing. If you stuck with Radio 1 you'd be dragged along with the trends of the day whether it was actually good listening or not.

Now they tend to pick from Spotify etc which allows them to explore different genres. We were away with Scouts last week - I wasn't in the minibus but apparently the leader in there was happy for my aux lead to stay in because the choices being fed off someone's phone were fairly good. My 14 year old currently claims to have a 200 track play list on the Sonos speaker he has in his room (feeds from Spotify) - some of which is awful but there's also some fairly decent stuff on there. Having said that he got talking to one of the instructors while we were away on holiday a couple of years back and for a while we had a spell of thrash metal going on. Fortunately that passed fairly quickly!
    Does anyone know what's going on?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mang21 For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (05-08-2019)