Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Navigation Exercises.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 863 Posts
    Yup.

I took a screenshot of a Google Maps image of the area around our hall and overlayed a grid - it works well.

I think I'm going to have a bash at the jousting, but with Nerf guns instead of broom handles. The weather is looking a wee bit autumnal, so we might be indoors.

We'll see how it goes.

Thanks
    Tried the bucket on the head/jousting game. Got to say, sometimes I think there's something wrong with the kids we get coming down.

One of those activities I thought would work really well, but they just couldn't get it.

Thanks
    Did pacing and blindfold/low visibility/walk-in-a-straight-line thingy. Worked really well.

I bought a cheap trundle wheel of Amazon. Asked the young folk to pace out what they thought was 100m. Scout closest wins a dollar. (I had one in my wallet from holidays.) Some stopped way short, others disappeared into the distance. Once they were all stopped, we deployed the trundle wheel - the fun bit was the anticipation as it passed more and more scouts and got closer to those in the distance.

One of the quiet kids (always there though) got closest, which was good. Must admit, I would have stopped way short of the true 100m mark.

We then paired them up and asked them to pick a landmark in the distance. Blindfolds were adorned. Their partner was there for reassurance and to be steered. Two young leaders went first - 50 paces - they ended up walking at 90 degrees to the direction they started.

I only had a $20 bill left, so no prizes for that one.

Both exercises worked really well, and in a stubble field since it's that time of year. The only counted when their right foot went down. One of my new leaders knows more about it than I do.

I'm now trying to get in touch with our tame farmer to ask if he'd plough a word in to one of his fields if the kids did bearings and paced it out. We can take pictures with drones... The nights are drawing in, it's now dark by 8:30pm, so we'll need to be quick.

It all worked a hell of a lot better than the bucket jousting did.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,970 Times in 1,616 Posts
    I find that kids are a tad lazy with compass bearings - probably because that's just kids, but also because they only get to walk on paths and don't really need a compass.

So, I marked up some sheets with hazards and a fixed start and destination point. I checked the actual bearing, several times, with multiple compasses to make sure they were all reading true ( not all of the cheap compasses read true).

Then they each had to establish the bearing between the start and destination, and walk on the bearing they set - stopping when they came to a marked sheet ( placed upside down). When they were all in place, they had to turn over the sheet they were at. out of 40 Scouts, only three made it to their destination, even though I had checked the compasses, checked the bearing and destination and had given them the bearing they were to walk on.

When we looked at the compasses, most were off bearing by at least a degree, one was out by five degrees. On a flat piece of ground, being one degree out over even a shortish distance, put them off track and over the edge of a cliff...

Don't know if that makes any sense, or if it is of any use.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Well, we've clearly got this navigation lark sorted, as only one group managed to get lost on a coast path at summer camp.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Navigation is a tough sell, especially to kids that are quite urban in their outlook, as ours tend to be.

I'm always banging on about how handy it is to know random things, how advantageous it can be in all sorts of unintended ways, and how impressed people can be if you demonstrate that knowledge.

They just looked at me as if I was from another planet obvs.

They were quite shocked at far off-course they went while walking blind though.

Thanks
    Treasure hunt using places in the town, or geo caching goes down well with our group.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bernwood For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (09-09-2019)

Thanks
    Ummm, is there no navigation/map reading activity badge?

Can't find one, and can't see it any where else.

I would have thought it was a core skill...

Thanks
    It's a staged activity badge these days

https://members.scouts.org.uk/suppor...80&moduleID=10
    Euan Rose
    GSL - 51st Dennyloanhead Scouts

www.dlhscouts.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EuanR View Post
    It's a staged activity badge these days

https://members.scouts.org.uk/suppor...80&moduleID=10
    Hmmm...

My lot are well into stage three... Need to buy some badges...

Thanks.