Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Navigation Exercises.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 863 Posts

Navigation Exercises.

Hi all.

Looking for ideas for navigation exercises.

Out of the hall, hour and half, plenty of space.

Map work tends not to go down very well on account of it being boring (and somewhat surplus to requirements, the apocalypse not-with-standing).

We've done games before, treasure hunt-type things with maps of the village. Really looking to simulate walking at night or on bearings, that sort of thing.

Ta.

Thanks
    Try and have them draw a picture using bearings, walking distances, pegs and rope - ie, take a bearing, walk x meters, put in a peg, and repeat until complete. You could either have them make their own drawing or prepare one for them.
    Chris Hawes, District Media Manager, Watford North Scout District and Watford Scouts; Group Treasurer and Webmaster, 9th North Watford Scout Group.
    Web designer of free Scouting templates, Scouting Themes 4 WordPress.

Social media
    Twitter: @WNScouts / @9NWScouts
    Facebook: /WNScouts
    Instagram: @WNScouts

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ASLChris For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (27-08-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ASLChris View Post
    Try and have them draw a picture using bearings, walking distances, pegs and rope - ie, take a bearing, walk x meters, put in a peg, and repeat until complete. You could either have them make their own drawing or prepare one for them.
    Or put a phone with something like Strava or Map my Hike running on it, in a sealed bag within their rucksack/pocket, and get them to draw a picture as per Chris, but instead of it being a physical one, it could be a bigger scale one. I have a feeling someone posted a while back about their remotely monitored Scouts or Explorers drawing an "interesting" image in a field on the tracking plot! (The idea being that they can't see the phone screen to check their drawing - they have to do that old school and see how well their intentions plot as reality)
    Does anyone know what's going on?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mang21 For This Useful Post:

ASLChris (27-08-2019),scoutgamer (08-09-2019)

Thanks
    Plane-table surveying.

Might even re-ignite interest in maps if they have to make their own.
    Last edited by JohnR; 27-08-2019 at 01:00 PM.
    John Russell
    ex-CSL now ACSL 1st Pinhoe Exeter Devon
    Cubs don't care how much you know, but they need to know how much you care.

Thanks
    Our crowd has a short attention span. I also promised we'd be outside doing it.

They're actually pretty good with figure references. Compass work - they have the basics, I was looking for new ideas in that direction.

I can imagine a (small) very specific group of scouts doing a plane table survey, but the full ~25 of them, even broken into smaller groups... Hmmm, I don't think it'll work. I might see if I can break off the specific group to do that. I'll try and think of something the rest can do that might fit in with it.

Thanks
    This takes a wee bit of planning, and assumes you have enough compasses to keep the groups small.
    Lay out a line of cones at 10m intervals, you’ll probably need around 10 of them, note the bearing the line is on.
    Using graph paper mark points on it (along the vertical centre of the paper) to represent the cones. This line is bearing “0”.
    Starting at one cone e.g. yellow 1 you can now create a shape using bearings and walking distance in metres. Add more lines and bearing so you end up at a different cone.
    Repeat this exercise for as many different start/end points as you want.
    Finally, if your real line of cones is not lying directly north you need to recalculate the “map” bearings by adding the real bearing to the planned ones.
    For each pattern write down the start point, the bearings and their distances. Do not give the end point just tell them to note which cone they end up at/near.
    To start get them to count their steps for a hundred metres (starts them on pacing if they haven’t done it before). They can use this to work out how many steps to take before the next bearing.
    When they tell you which cone they end up at you can tell them if they got it right or not.

Thanks
    I wouldn't dream of doing plane-table indoors! But I note "Compass work - I was looking for new ideas in that direction" (I see what you did there).

I don't like compass "work", but I do like compass "play" or "use". When I last had a Troop instead of a Pack we did compass jousting. One member of each Patrol had a compass, a bucket over his head so he could see nothing except the compass, and a broom handle. Start spread out around the field, the 'knight' can only move following directions shouted at him by his Patrol - something like "5 paces at 230 degrees", or "2 paces at 140 degrees and strike". When a knight is whacked on the bucket he's out. Last Patrol standing wins, then promote another knight from each Patrol and carry on.

Something like this:ghana003.jpg
    John Russell
    ex-CSL now ACSL 1st Pinhoe Exeter Devon
    Cubs don't care how much you know, but they need to know how much you care.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohnR For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (28-08-2019),shiftypete (27-08-2019),sjl14 (03-09-2019)

Thanks

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ayates For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (28-08-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 805 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    When I last had a Troop instead of a Pack we did compass jousting. One member of each Patrol had a compass, a bucket over his head so he could see nothing except the compass, and a broom handle. Start spread out around the field, the 'knight' can only move following directions shouted at him by his Patrol - something like "5 paces at 230 degrees", or "2 paces at 140 degrees and strike". When a knight is whacked on the bucket he's out. Last Patrol standing wins, then promote another knight from each Patrol and carry on.

I love that idea, thanks for that

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    I wouldn't dream of doing plane-table indoors! But I note "Compass work - I was looking for new ideas in that direction" (I see what you did there).

I don't like compass "work", but I do like compass "play" or "use". When I last had a Troop instead of a Pack we did compass jousting. One member of each Patrol had a compass, a bucket over his head so he could see nothing except the compass, and a broom handle. Start spread out around the field, the 'knight' can only move following directions shouted at him by his Patrol - something like "5 paces at 230 degrees", or "2 paces at 140 degrees and strike". When a knight is whacked on the bucket he's out. Last Patrol standing wins, then promote another knight from each Patrol and carry on.

Ha! Yup, this is more our speed.

Sure we have some buckets somewhere...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,353 Times in 1,447 Posts
    With reference to map reading being surplus to requirements, i'm friends with loads of my old scouts on social media. I take immense pleasure from seeing them up mountains and off hiking. Often I can clearly remember them moaning and complaining about map reading and hiking but now i can see them using those skills.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (28-08-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    With reference to map reading being surplus to requirements, i'm friends with loads of my old scouts on social media. I take immense pleasure from seeing them up mountains and off hiking. Often I can clearly remember them moaning and complaining about map reading and hiking but now i can see them using those skills.
    Tbh you need map reading skills to be able to use a GPS!
    Chris Hawes, District Media Manager, Watford North Scout District and Watford Scouts; Group Treasurer and Webmaster, 9th North Watford Scout Group.
    Web designer of free Scouting templates, Scouting Themes 4 WordPress.

Social media
    Twitter: @WNScouts / @9NWScouts
    Facebook: /WNScouts
    Instagram: @WNScouts

a quiver full of barbs merryweather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,751 Times in 1,055 Posts

Nav stuff

Hi friends. Still going strong. Taken a backseat a bit still hold on to same role but more because of my experience. Used to do lots of nav stuff including local district orienteering comp. Recommend doing orienteering where you can find in local parks as permanent courses or local O clubs comps which cost just a couple of quid per scout. Search British orienteering federation (BOF). I'm looking at trail O which is suitable for me but it's harder and demands higher nav skills. Or check out. Geocaching.
    HTH merryweather
    going...going...still here...just

19. The Following User Says Thank You to merryweather For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (28-08-2019)

Thanks
    We get pipped with orienteering. The cub leader is big into it - so our crowd have already done it extensively. I'm not sure we could make any advance on what they're already been doing.

Unless there is a form of extreme orienteering out there...

The whole biffing each other on the head with brooms handles... It's very 'us'...

Thanks
    I have my own town street plan which I've overlayed a grid so that I can give grid references, bearing etc for places they can easily walk to. Call it a treasure hunt and it works well