Thread: SATC - Scout Association Trust Corporation

Thanks

SATC - Scout Association Trust Corporation

Has anyone had dealings with the SATC? We are 6 months down the line trying to get them to re-endorse a licence for property we sublet and they are very slow to respond, have been making errors and are sloppy in aspects of our interaction with them. We are also paying through the nose for them to do it! It doesn't help that each email we receive from them is sent by a different paralegal so there is no continuity and it is open to errors. We have no choice to use them, however I would not recommend them. Has anyone else been faced with such issues? Are the SA aware of the poor service they are imposing on Groups?
    Last edited by Paul o; 31-08-2019 at 10:54 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,014 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Can't say that I had issues with them. When we had to apply for planning permission for an extension to our hall, we needed the agreement of the "owner" in order for the planning to go forward. They wrote back to us telling us that the day to day management of the site was a matter for the Group Trustees and nothing to do with them. They only held the title in trust, they had no management/ operational role. If I were still at the Group I could have dug up their letter for you as a reference.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    Can't say that I had issues with them. When we had to apply for planning permission for an extension to our hall, we needed the agreement of the "owner" in order for the planning to go forward. They wrote back to us telling us that the day to day management of the site was a matter for the Group Trustees and nothing to do with them. They only held the title in trust, they had no management/ operational role. If I were still at the Group I could have dug up their letter for you as a reference.
    We too found they were really slow at answering mail and again were only really interested in the title with local trustees being responsible. We were also informed that they didnít deal with the legalities if needed and we needed our own solicitors etc. They would then take on the new part for an additional fee.

Not certain who has that paperwork now though as currently we were unable to move with our plans as we could not get the land. We are going to try again in due course though.

Thanks
    During our dealing with the SATC they consisted of just one admin person and one Lawyer who may or may not have been full time, so I guess it's understandable that they are both slow and also reluctant to get too hands on. They wont/cant actually act as your lawyers themselves, so you need to sort everything out yourself and their role is more to approve what you've done to protect the SA's interest.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,364 Times in 1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Pepper View Post
    During our dealing with the SATC they consisted of just one admin person and one Lawyer who may or may not have been full time, so I guess it's understandable that they are both slow and also reluctant to get too hands on. They wont/cant actually act as your lawyers themselves, so you need to sort everything out yourself and their role is more to approve what you've done to protect the SA's interest.
    their role is to hold the title of the land - it is the job of the trustees of the group/unit/ whatever to act in the interests of the charity which should be the interests of the SA.

or have i misunderstood?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (04-09-2019)

Thanks
    No, We're saying the same thing.... or have I misunderstood? You have to do the work yourself but they will review it

Thanks
    No, We're saying the same thing.... or have I misunderstood? You have to do the work yourself but they will review it
    Not even that. They had absolutely no interest in what we did. They are a holding trust and they take the ownership of property out of the hands of the group/ campsite etc., and their only interest arises should we wish to sell the property.

Sub let, plan for a new build, they are not interested... though, I'll grant you,if we had lease out the land to a developer they might well have had an interest
    Ewan Scott

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

big chris (04-09-2019),shiftypete (04-09-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,364 Times in 1,454 Posts
    they don't review anything... let's take a few steps back.

Typical problem: scout group buys/leases land, GSL, Chairman and Skip are trustees of the land. Their name on the deeds/lease.

40 years later and the group wants to do something that requires the trustees. Two are dead, one has moved away and long been forgotten.

Solution: SATC. They are the name on the deeds/lease. That is all. If something needs doing that requires the name on the deeds to be involved, it's them.

For anything else, the group/district/campsite exec have absolute free reign. my old group had some property, we used the SATC for the name on the deeds. It is quite possible that they never ever contact the SATC again.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (04-09-2019)

Thanks
    Rubbish they will certainly take an interest and review things very carefully and slowly if you try to sell the land. Quite rightly. I know this from considerable personal experience.

Thanks
    Rubbish they will certainly take an interest and review things very carefully and slowly if you try to sell the land. Quite rightly. I know this from considerable personal experience.
    Not sure what post you are referring to. No-one has suggested they would not take an interest in the sale of the property. In fact, that is what Big Chris and I have both said.

I have been party to three situations where Trustees were involved with Scout Property.

Case 1/ Our Group bought the property and arranged for it to be held in trust by SATC. When we made planning applications they told us it was none of their business and that we should act as we saw fit. We needed proof of that for the planning application and they sent us a letter to that effect.

Case 2/ two out of three Trustees of a property were deceased, leaving it in the hands of a single individual. SATC took on the Trustee role, but the single trustee took some persuading to let go. It worried us that the property ownership was exposed. (There was an incident in Nottingham where a single trustee locked Scouts out of their own hall and took ownership - or tried to). This particular property was subject to the attention of at least one local landowner and approaches had been made to purchase). The placing of the property in the hands of the SATC put it beynd the capability of local trustees to usurp the Scouts and sell the property from under them.

Case 3/ A Scout property became unsafe. The group was moved out of the property and when repairs were uneconomical the property was sold, very easily, by the District. Had it been in the hands of SATC I doubt the sale would have gone through quite as quickly.

The SATC is the safest way to hold Scout property. Absolutely.
    Ewan Scott

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

johnL (07-09-2019),richardnhunt (05-09-2019)

Thanks
    I agree with you, but Chris said they dont review anything, which is untrue.

Thanks
    As trustees we have handled all the legal negotiations with our licensee and we have our own solicitors that have drafted all the legal documents. Obviously that has a cost to us. The SATC has merely to read the licence and need to sign the authority. That has not been done and they have delayed and confused for months and months. They have many paid Paralegals - this is not a question of compromising because they are "just volunteers". SATC have only one job - but they are incompetent at that.