Thread: "Scout like" activities at school

Thanks

"Scout like" activities at school

Is it just me or do others feel that the proliferation of scout like activities e.g. camping, den building, firelighting is becoming prevalent in schools and is detrimental to scouting in general. Our local schools not only offer these activities but provide them at local scout camp sites!! To me, whilst I understand that many scout camp sites have to be self funding, offering their facilities to schools is a step too far. Scout camping has always been a special event where a youngster does things he/she does not do in their normal day to day life. I have just discovered that our local first school is now offering said activities as part of their programme in a forest school built on their campus assisted by substantial grants from both local funders and TESCO. If youngsters are doing these activities as part of the school curiculum what do we do? Or is copying what we do some sort of recognition of our expertise?

Thanks
    if concerned then turn it into an opportunity...hey kids, you've had a taste of all these great activities at school, come along to beavers/cubs where you can do even more exciting activities...

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 863 Posts
    The whole forest school thing is right trendy just now.

I doubt the schools will be doing it in quite the same way we do. It's nippy, but I don't think it's a threat as such. I just can't imagine they'll allow the kids the same kind of latitude at school with this, as we do at Scouts.

Thanks
    I can't see many schools letting the kids do firelighting, axe work, knife work, survival camps etc, Rest easy they will only do the low hanging fruit of activities that 'real' Scouts do.

Thanks
    It's interesting that the word "threat" was used... presumably if we believe in Scouting and it's activities we would welcome a much wider participation (especially as over 90% of young people aren't in Scouting)...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RisingStar For This Useful Post:

richardnhunt (01-09-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,970 Times in 1,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RisingStar View Post
    It's interesting that the word "threat" was used... presumably if we believe in Scouting and it's activities we would welcome a much wider participation (especially as over 90% of young people aren't in Scouting)...
    I understand the use of the term "threat" - in that we live in a "got the teeshirt"society. Once they have the teeshirt it is difficult to persuade them to do more.

I doubt to will kill off scouting in any form.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    I don't see school based groups as any real competition. Fact is that schools are so risk averse it's untrue. Which means the really good stuff, the axes, the knives, the nights away passport stuff won't be happening. Throw in that you've got to pay for staff making it massively more expensive and I don't see any threat at all.

Thanks
    It was ever thus, getting our best ideas nicked. However, as others have said, our approach is different.
    SL, 11th Hitchin

Thanks
    Take it as a compliment ��
    Chris

Akela - 8th Mirfield
    Heavy Woollen District

Thanks
    I dont object to them doing scout skills, Den building, axe throwing, whatever they want to do. What does wind me up a bit is the plethora of non-educational trips which parents cant realistically opt out of paying for, yet are cost 5 times what we charge at scouts and get organised at different dates every year. Whereas our main camp has been the same half term week for 40+ years, the various local schools like to choose at the last minute variously the week before, after, or occasionally during for their expensive trips meaning some cant afford or cant attend scout camps.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dr_Pepper For This Useful Post:

boballan (05-09-2019),PaulArthurs (09-09-2019),pa_broon74 (05-09-2019),shiftypete (10-09-2019)

Thanks
    Some of our Scout Leaders help a local school run their "in the woods" days. It is great to see kids who never venture off the pavement see what they are missing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DKRSL View Post
    It was ever thus, getting our best ideas nicked.
    Oh that explains why our school has spent £9m on a new database that doesn't work.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul o For This Useful Post:

ianw (05-09-2019),RisingStar (05-09-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul o View Post
    Some of our Scout Leaders help a local school run their "in the woods" days. It is great to see kids who never venture off the pavement see what they are missing.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh that explains why our school has spent £9m on a new database that doesn't work.
    Ha, ha ha ha ha ha ha....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Pepper View Post
    I dont object to them doing scout skills, Den building, axe throwing, whatever they want to do. ...........
    Big of you !

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Pepper View Post
    What does wind me up a bit is the plethora of non-educational trips which parents cant realistically opt out of paying for, yet are cost 5 times what we charge at scouts and get organised at different dates every year. Whereas our main camp has been the same half term week for 40+ years, the various local schools like to choose at the last minute variously the week before, after, or occasionally during for their expensive trips meaning some cant afford or cant attend scout camps.
    Generally most children will only attend one such trip in primary level, and after that seem to be more educational. There really is no comparison between a volutarily organised trip and one undertaken by a school professionally which has to meet standards way higher than Scouts (the variance in what is needed for a NAP between assessors is significant).

In addition the social benefits of the school trip mean, as you say, that it would be very bad news for a young person to miss it.

I dont' suppose it's occurred that if it is genuinely 5 times the price, then the extra 20% to do Scouts as well probably doesn't kill it for most parents.

Thanks
    Slightly rude, I was only voicing an opinion, and one less controversial than others at that.

It's not a case of it 'occurring' to me it's a case of parents repeatedly having told me that the kid cant come to camp because they've just shelled out for the school trip. Which given that I then do everything within my power to make sure they can come by reducing our price after the school have taken full price, can be frustrating.

Thanks
    We did a week long camp at a local site for £80, the local school did a weekend camp at the same site for £285 - enough said.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bernwood View Post
    We did a week long camp at a local site for £80, the local school did a weekend camp at the same site for £285 - enough said.
    Just curious - were the camps comparable? Or was the Scout camp under canvas while the school camp was in a hut with all mod cons and laying on lavish spreads every day?

It's not that we cut corners in Scouting, but school versions of activities in Scouting do tend to go for the most extravagant optional extras like on-site catering or what-have-you...
    1988 - 1990: 4th Streatham Sea Scouts (PMLO), Beaver
    1990 - 1998: 1st Streatham Common, Cub & Scout
    2004 - 2011: 1st Streatham Common, OH
    2011 - 2012: 1st Streatham Common, CSSA
    2012 - 2019: 1st Streatham Common, ACSL
    2019 on: 1st Streatham Common, GSL

Lambeth - The best District in England!