Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25

Thread: Reselling Poppy badges

  1. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    448
    Thanks
    68
    Thanked 152 Times in 92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khoomei View Post
    I think all this merchandising has gone a bit distasteful.

    Just buy a paper poppy from the RBL, and pay whatever you think appropriate. Encourage young people to think about what they are doing and why they are doing it.

    You don't have to have a special badge, necker, woggle, etc.
    The Legion will probably end up with more actual money as well, which is what it's supposed to be about.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Rush For This Useful Post:

    boballan (15-10-2019),Dave1964 (01-12-2019)

  3. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,521
    Thanks
    1,646
    Thanked 1,217 Times in 883 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Rush View Post
    The Legion will probably end up with more actual money as well, which is what it's supposed to be about.
    I thought it was supposed to be about remembrance.

  4. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    448
    Thanks
    68
    Thanked 152 Times in 92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    I thought it was supposed to be about remembrance.
    Well yes, but the idea of selling stuff is to get cash for the RBL.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Rush For This Useful Post:

    shiftypete (06-10-2019),SteveF (06-10-2019)

  6. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    275
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 76 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Rush View Post
    Well yes, but the idea of selling stuff is to get cash for the RBL.
    Indeed, hence it being called the "Poppy Appeal" and their own website stating:
    The Poppy Appeal is the Royal British Legion’s biggest fundraising campaign held every year in November, the period of Remembrance.
    James

  7. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,521
    Thanks
    1,646
    Thanked 1,217 Times in 883 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Rush View Post
    Well yes, but the idea of selling stuff is to get cash for the RBL.
    Indeed. It's a personal view, but I don't think it's quite as straightforward anymore.

    Would that it was.

  8. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    117
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 73 Times in 38 Posts
    Would you buy in Marie Curie Ribbons and sell them at a profit, with the profit going to your own group?
    Would you buy Comic Relief red noses and sell them at a profit, with the profit going to your own group?
    Would you get your Scouts involved in an Alzheimer's "Memory Walk" and then keep half their sponsorship for group funds?

    By all means buy a stock and sell them on to the group. By all means add a small amount to cover the cost of doing so (e.g. if you're buying 30 badges and the postage is 1.50 then add 5p to each badge if you want). To me, any charity using another charity's brand for fundraising without the specific consent of that charity (e.g. a partnership or joint activity) doesnt feel right.

  9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to campwarden For This Useful Post:

    boballan (15-10-2019),Bushfella (14-10-2019),fenris (16-10-2019),Richard T (15-10-2019),richardnhunt (15-10-2019),shiftypete (14-10-2019)

  10. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    162
    Thanks
    470
    Thanked 68 Times in 36 Posts
    I find the whole RBL/Scouting link a little distasteful. Is it really necessary for Scout Shops to sell such a large range of items based on the poppy? They will be inevitably left with stocks of items that have not sold. Will these be stored until next year - OK for the non-dated stuff - but what about this short term uniform badge dated 2019? To me it's a step too far. I was and am quite happy to buy the poppy and encourage all our group to buy and wear one for Remembrance. We always buy a poppy wreath from our local RBL organiser but that is as far as it goes.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boballan For This Useful Post:

    Dave1964 (01-12-2019),pa_broon74 (16-10-2019)

  12. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    275
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 76 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by campwarden View Post
    By all means add a small amount to cover the cost of doing so (e.g. if you're buying 30 badges and the postage is 1.50 then add 5p to each badge if you want). To me, any charity using another charity's brand for fundraising without the specific consent of that charity (e.g. a partnership or joint activity) doesnt feel right.
    I see your point - but in this case it's quite clearly an established partnership going by the RBL website. A slightly different take, but I'm really perturbed by "poppy porn" but I guess that's another discussion altogether.
    James

  13. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    851
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 149 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by campwarden View Post
    Would you buy in Marie Curie Ribbons and sell them at a profit, with the profit going to your own group?
    Would you buy Comic Relief red noses and sell them at a profit, with the profit going to your own group?
    Would you get your Scouts involved in an Alzheimer's "Memory Walk" and then keep half their sponsorship for group funds?

    By all means buy a stock and sell them on to the group. By all means add a small amount to cover the cost of doing so (e.g. if you're buying 30 badges and the postage is 1.50 then add 5p to each badge if you want). To me, any charity using another charity's brand for fundraising without the specific consent of that charity (e.g. a partnership or joint activity) doesnt feel right.
    Pretty much agree with the above, plus depending upon the charity/publicity it may have some negative results.
    Why not get the Beavers/Cubs/Scouts to design a set of Christmas cards and see if a printer will print some to sell on for funds?

  14. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,521
    Thanks
    1,646
    Thanked 1,217 Times in 883 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boballan View Post
    I find the whole RBL/Scouting link a little distasteful. Is it really necessary for Scout Shops to sell such a large range of items based on the poppy? They will be inevitably left with stocks of items that have not sold. Will these be stored until next year - OK for the non-dated stuff - but what about this short term uniform badge dated 2019? To me it's a step too far. I was and am quite happy to buy the poppy and encourage all our group to buy and wear one for Remembrance. We always buy a poppy wreath from our local RBL organiser but that is as far as it goes.
    Agree with this.

    The poppy is as much a brand now as it is a symbol of remembrance. For me, the latter has been somewhat sullied because of the former.

    A lot of what happens on the day borders on - at best, the mawkish and at worst, the political. It pains me to say it, but I think it's been hijacked a bit by the same thing that has hijacked other notable charitable organisations.

    I no longer attend the march, I prefer to remember and reflect quietly on my own these days.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

    Dave1964 (01-12-2019)

Similar Threads

  1. Poppy Day
    By Tony Ransley in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 14-11-2016, 02:46 PM
  2. Poppy Selling
    By not-so in forum Scouting Talk
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 28-09-2016, 02:08 PM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 19-07-2013, 02:56 PM
  4. [Wanted] Scout county/district badges n group badges
    By karenseascouts in forum Items For Sale or Wanted (Scouting Related Only)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 29-01-2011, 01:37 AM
  5. Remembrance Poppy badges
    By bellshillscouts in forum Scouting Talk
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 13-11-2010, 07:28 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •