Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: OSM, district want read/write to events+badge records etc etc

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul o View Post
    District comms is another matter. They don't need access to our parents email addresses. Parents are members of our Group not District and certainly not TSA. This is similar to TSA's approach - I was unhappy about Compass (4 years ago) that you could not provide any YP data unless you provided email addresses of parents and that notifications from TSA were locked ON by default.

Internal District comms is still in disarray in our District. For years we had a paper directory which was thrown out as a knee jerk to GDPR - yet we are still using the 2017 edition as that is the only reference we have. Meanwhile district comms consists of a small group of die hards that receive emails and the rest just get it round robin forwarded if we are lucky. At last we have a digital directory but that is not accessible until all have signed up to it... and not everyone has because they didn't get an email invite!

So you can imagine why our Group is not enthusiastic in allowing District access to our data.
    We have the same half-baked approach to a District Directory round here - it used to be kept updated about every 6 months, but was abandoned due to a combination of:

A) GDPR slowly coming in, and
    B) The attitude that everybody's info was going online (particularly Compass) and we could all find each other on there...except you can't, because you can only see people in your section/group/district depending on your role. The average section leader can only see the members of their section team, not find people from a whole nother group!

As such, I still rely on a copy of the last hardcopy District Directory that was produced in 2012. It's surprisingly still accurate for the most part...
    1988 - 1990: 4th Streatham Sea Scouts (PMLO), Beaver
    1990 - 1998: 1st Streatham Common, Cub & Scout
    2004 - 2011: 1st Streatham Common, OH
    2011 - 2012: 1st Streatham Common, CSSA
    2012 - 2019: 1st Streatham Common, ACSL
    2019 on: 1st Streatham Common, GSL

Lambeth - The best District in England!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,023 Times in 1,279 Posts
    Of course a District Directory could still be published post GDPR. People would however have to consent to being included and to how it was going to be distributed.

You can consent to anything under GDPR.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    Of course a District Directory could still be published post GDPR. People would however have to consent to being included and to how it was going to be distributed.

You can consent to anything under GDPR.
    I know, but so many bureaucratic-type people see those four little letters and just run away in the opposite direction. It's not saying you can't do stuff - just that you need permission (which should be fairly commonsense for a lot of things really).

After all, GDPR didn't put a stop to the phone book being printed... (although people storing contact numbers in their mobiles and being able to easily and quickly search online for numbers has nearly killed it off)...
    1988 - 1990: 4th Streatham Sea Scouts (PMLO), Beaver
    1990 - 1998: 1st Streatham Common, Cub & Scout
    2004 - 2011: 1st Streatham Common, OH
    2011 - 2012: 1st Streatham Common, CSSA
    2012 - 2019: 1st Streatham Common, ACSL
    2019 on: 1st Streatham Common, GSL

Lambeth - The best District in England!

Thanks
    Still yet to hear anything, the only odd thing about the request is that it was made via/using an old out of date email address, which was changed ( in compass) sometime ago.

As for GDPR, district directory's and so on, anyone remember SID?

Thanks
    There are four things wrong with this G D P & R. End of story. Another example of a half cocked idea not thought through.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,215 Times in 881 Posts
    Just got an email from district with all the addresses in the 'to' field.

It's very difficult for district to regard itself and indeed - be regarded as - the final word on POR, and insisting on standards higher than is required by said book of rules when they can't get that sort of thing right.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post

It's very difficult for district to regard itself and indeed - be regarded as - the final word on POR, and insisting on standards higher than is required by said book of rules when they can't get that sort of thing right.
    This is a good reason to have a Google Apps/365 deployment even if hyou use forwarding, then it's fine to do that as they are "work" email addresses.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,231 Times in 816 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post

Happens to the best of us sometimes. I did that the other week despite being the person resonsible for GDPR compliance in our Group and knowing full well not to do it. I was just copying email addresses from OSM (there was a reason I couldn't send the email I wanted from within OSM) and simply pasted them in the wrong box and clicked send (I had already written the email) as soon as I sent it I realsied what I had done.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Thanked 1,215 Times in 881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    Happens to the best of us sometimes. I did that the other week despite being the person resonsible for GDPR compliance in our Group and knowing full well not to do it. I was just copying email addresses from OSM (there was a reason I couldn't send the email I wanted from within OSM) and simply pasted them in the wrong box and clicked send (I had already written the email) as soon as I sent it I realsied what I had done.
    Is there a bit of a grey area? I know if I'm communicating with the management committee/leaders (mostly the same people anyway), since we all know each others details, there's not much point in Bcc'ing people.

Maybe that's what happened.

CSL (In training)
    Thanks
    This is a good reason to have a Google Apps/365 deployment even if hyou use forwarding, then it's fine to do that as they are "work" email addresses.
    Although at that point setting up distribution groups is trivial, and easier to use, and more compliant....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nevynxxx View Post
    Although at that point setting up distribution groups is trivial, and easier to use, and more compliant....
    1 and 2 yes, 3 no. Work email addresses are perfectly valid to be given out for work purposes in the same organisation and there is absolutely no valid GDPR case against so doing.

Thanks
    Arguably though the production of Group or District directories are not covered by GDPR.

From the Information Commisioner's Office's own website - https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations...s/directories/

"In our view, this does not cover types of directory that are not solely or mainly to provide a comprehensive list of subscribers’ contact details, even if they include some contact details of a particular group of people. For example, trade directories whose main purpose is to provide detailed information about certain types of businesses would not be covered, nor would church or club membership contact lists."
    To get more kids we need more adults - are we getting the message yet?

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kastor For This Useful Post:

dragonhhjh (29-10-2019),Neil Williams (29-10-2019),pa_broon74 (29-10-2019)

CSL (In training)
    Thanks
    1 and 2 yes, 3 no. Work email addresses are perfectly valid to be given out for work purposes in the same organisation and there is absolutely no valid GDPR case against so doing.
    Sorry, yeah, I was casting a slightly wider net with the last bit than GDPR. Having a distro list means that *all* of the people who *should* get the mail do, and none of the ones who shouldn't. You aren't relying on people getting it right. You are correct with regards to GDPR.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to nevynxxx For This Useful Post:

Neil Williams (30-10-2019)