Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: FAO any Sh***ers out there.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,269 Times in 921 Posts

FAO any Sh***ers out there.

I just got my Range Conducting Officers qualification. I'm now looking to offer sh****ng (air only) as an activity in our hall.

Has anyone set anything up in the past? We've bought pellet catchers and some other bits and bobs.

It sounds daft, but if you could refrain from using in obvious words (g*n, Sh***ing etc). The firewall at work auto-blocks pages with those references (and a raft of others too, I couldn't access the Youth Lead thread until it went over to a second page - our proxy said it was due to 'Gaming'. I have no idea why...)

I have r***es and p****ls. We're licensed up here now, so I have that too. Been a member of a small bore club for a while too.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,336 Times in 1,361 Posts
    I honestly thought it was correcting shi**ers for a minute. Anyhoo...

Our hut can set up as a range. Main thing is the net, they've got a couple of eyelets drilled into the wall, and the net pre-strung, it's like a giant curtain, fairly easy to put up and take down.
    They got some cheap stands that are designed to hold floodlights on from T**lstation or Scr*wfix, and use those with the target holders.
    And had some signs and hooks to hang them on on doors that say "Range in Operation DO NOT ENTER" or something. A Hi-vis with "Range Officer" on.
    I would further suggest a massive tarp to lay between the curtain and the tables you fire from, so it'd be much easier to collect up spent pellets at the end.
    And somewhere for those waiting to sit quietly, we've got some old school gym benches.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Hmmm....

The tarp is a good idea. I wondered about cheap tripods or old standard lamps modified to hold the pellet catchers - I'll check out Screwfix.. I also want to use BB guns, I know the BB's will go all over the place, I thought about getting a dustbuster for those.

What do you use the net as? And what are you using as a backboard? We have a table tennis table (old, it's championship days are long in the past). We thought about putting that on it's side and hanging something over it, carpet maybe or old lino (we have both handy)... That should limit ricochets.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    What do you use the net as? And what are you using as a backboard?
    No backboard. Or the net is the backboard. The net runs the whole width of the hall, and about 8' high maybe, and falls to the floor. Maybe curtain would be a better term. My google skills have deserted me to find an example. Wait, here's a pic from when we did it last...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3bYY8yJ..._web_copy_link
    Ian Wilkins

Thanks
    I understand.

What is the curtain material? The 'equipment' I have isn't full power, but the long g**s will go through tins easily enough. Looks like your using pneumatic equipment, with variable power?

Just bought a twin set of T bar disco light stands, the pellet catchers should attach to those well enough. And handy for all those discos we have too...

(Joking, we don't have discos.)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    I understand.

What is the curtain material? The 'equipment' I have isn't full power, but the long g**s will go through tins easily enough. Looks like your using pneumatic equipment, with variable power?

Just bought a twin set of T bar disco light stands, the pellet catchers should attach to those well enough. And handy for all those discos we have too...

(Joking, we don't have discos.)
    Best bet for the curtain material is to search for "Archery net"

The way they work is by absorbing the force of the bullet (so very important that the net is hung slackly)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to campwarden For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (11-12-2019)

Thanks
    Not sure of the details, we're only a tenant at the scout hut but it's definitely some sort of pukka meant for the job stuff, at least looks like it. I could ask where they got it from if you are really interested. Might be Kevlar. It's woven, and slippy and plasticky in feel.
    Ian Wilkins

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (11-12-2019)

Thanks
    I'll have a wee look about, see what's on offer. I haven't even tried to search for such a thing, I just assumed it would have to be some sort of backboard.

I'll check out the archery net idea too.

Thanks.

Thanks
    I have seen past reports of people using old heavy carpet as the backstop material. Have you tried searching the forum for past discussions on air gun ranges?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big George View Post
    I have seen past reports of people using old heavy carpet as the backstop material. Have you tried searching the forum for past discussions on air gun ranges?

Doh! Now youve done it! You were supposed to say g*n
    Chris

Akela - 8th Mirfield
    Heavy Woollen District

Thanks
    We use a solid backboard (18mm ply) with a 2-4mm thick honeycomb plastic sheet about 100mm in front of it. The pell*t goes through the plastic, deforms on the ply and any rebound is stopped by the plastic.

The plastic decays over time but we use the black 2mm thick stuff that is used as underlay for flooring so is cheaply available and easily replaced by putting another sheet on.

These are made up into 4' x4' boards (ply with plastic in front, 75mm air gap) and can be hung on the walls.
    To get more kids we need more adults - are we getting the message yet?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kastor For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (12-12-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Doh! Now youve done it! You were supposed to say g*n
    I can still get in...

I had a good look around for 'ballistic curtains' and 'ballistic nylon'. I'd need to test it to see if it'll contain a pellet fired from a 12ft/pd r**le. The archery nets are not suitable.

I think I'll just go for something a bit more sturdy based on the up-ended table tennis table we have with some sort of covering to protect it just in case anything gets through.

Judging by the chat on the internet, it's a hot topic though. You live and learn.

Thanks
    Our range backstop is a set of large boards, I would estimate 7' by 4' that hang from a wooden batten, covering the width of the end wall. They are faced with thick pile old carpet, and as the boards "hang" freely from the batten the energy from the pellets appears to be absorbed and they drop to the floor (or into the catchers under the targets, most of the time...) rather than ricochet anywhere. Old tarp on the floor under the boards and a few feet out catches everything.

Wouldn't know if it would work with BBs though - I would assume being harder material/spherical there could be a much higher ricochet risk whatever you try.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CliveS View Post
    Our range backstop is a set of large boards, I would estimate 7' by 4' that hang from a wooden batten, covering the width of the end wall. They are faced with thick pile old carpet, and as the boards "hang" freely from the batten the energy from the pellets appears to be absorbed and they drop to the floor (or into the catchers under the targets, most of the time...) rather than ricochet anywhere. Old tarp on the floor under the boards and a few feet out catches everything.

Wouldn't know if it would work with BBs though - I would assume being harder material/spherical there could be a much higher ricochet risk whatever you try.
    Yup.

The BB's are going to ricochet all over the place. Interestingly (or not), I bought a batch of kid's safety glasses for Nerf battles. Cubs used the gear and put the glasses back in a 'safe place'. I thought they'd binned them by mistake. That was about two years ago. However, I found them again last week.

So we'll be using those for the BB dueling tree/spinner phase of things.

A foldable, hanging backstop would be more practical for storage purposes. Some sort of thick carpet, backed with a ballistic material and maybe a rubber membrane...

Thanks
    Not a shooter, but you might find astro-turf/fake grass might be a suitable carper type thing for the backing (and probably able to get relatively cheaply)