Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Snowflake parents

Thanks

Snowflake parents

Ok, so it was a bit windy last night, with some high gusts, and rain was forecast (but exactly how much and when was open to interpretation as none of the forecasts agreed) but... a couple of hours before our meeting (a "night hike" in local country park) I get 3 emails:Pls accept apologies for ******* tonight ( if you are going ahead) the weather is so very wild would be concerned.

Apologises, but due to the weather conditions tonight and hiking through the woods, we feel it’s a bit unsafe for ******* to attend tonight if it was to go ahead. Sorry.

Unfortunately ****** won’t be at Cubs tonight. I’m not sure I would be happy for him to do a night hike in this weather anyway!

So I'm getting rather exasperated and the term "snowflakes" is firmly in my head when when this exchange occurs

parent: Just wondering, given the weather, if tonight's walk is still going ahead?
    me: yes
    parent: Brilliant! They'll love be out in this. Blow the cobwebs away for sure!! Have fun! 😉

My mood improved no end!

The walk went ahead, 18 Cubs turmed up and had a whale of a time - the rain held off, the winds were nowhere near as strong as predicted and the mud was muddy!
    (and yes, we did have back up plans...)
    Kate, CSL (and GDB(S))
    1st Weald Brook Scout Group
    Brentwood, Essex
    www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yellow Beaver For This Useful Post:

BigBadBaloo (15-01-2020),Gammon Baby (15-01-2020),richardnhunt (15-01-2020)

Thanks
    I realise the parents probably don't intend for it to come across this way... but... this kind of thing really annoys me.

Obviously I'm not annoyed that they're thinking of their child's safety, I'm annoyed that they think that we wouldn't (ie having a back up plan if needed) and yet still feel free to let their precious darlings be a member of a group which apparently isn't capable of making these decisions.
    James

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dragonhhjh For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (18-01-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,246 Times in 1,406 Posts
    It's a valid point for hiking through woods. The chance of a branch on your head is not insignificant in high winds. I'd be considering moving the hike out of the woods into more open ground.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Neil Williams For This Useful Post:

big chris (15-01-2020),RisingStar (15-01-2020),shiftypete (18-01-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,350 Times in 967 Posts
    I would have thought, if it was windy enough to snap anything of trees that could cause injury, then it would be even worse walking out in the open.

This happens, sometimes it's the parents, sometimes it's the kids. You get an idea after a while who's making the decisions. Which ever, it's their loss.

We've never had a parent say they thought anything we did was risky or dangerous. We've had a few giving positive comments when we're doing things that are though - lighting fires, using sharp pointy stuff etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,391 Times in 1,385 Posts
    a) They told you.
    b) You got 18 turn up!

Stay positive!
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

derekchambers (27-01-2020),Ker-stee (16-01-2020),richardnhunt (15-01-2020),shiftypete (18-01-2020)

Thanks
    Ach tell me about it. Had something comparable recently. Explorer parents and other leaders on exec firmly refused for the group to stock a few mora knives in the kit, because “it isn’t appropriate for scouts or explorers to use knives”. Perhaps I tried to sell it too strong - I had sent a pic of beavers using knives to learn bushcraft skills. And no we aren’t in an area known for rampant knife crime. I was dismayed.
    AESL

Thanks
    We had the older Cubs out on Dartmoor a few weeks back, overnight in a cottage then out for a hike. It was blowing a hooley. On top of the tor it was difficult to stand. Then we heard a rumble, surely just the wind over the rocks, there was nothing on the forecast? Then a distinct thunder rumble so an immediate change of plan to the quickest way down to lower ground. On the way down we saw the lightning (about 6 or 7 miles away) and got battered first by rain then by a torrential and painful hail storm. There was not a single murmur of discontent from any of the kids.
    John Russell
    ex-CSL now ACSL 1st Pinhoe Exeter Devon
    Cubs don't care how much you know, but they need to know how much you care.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JohnR For This Useful Post:

ianw (15-01-2020),johnL (15-01-2020),Neil Williams (15-01-2020),sjl14 (19-01-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,391 Times in 1,385 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atb View Post
    Ach tell me about it. Had something comparable recently. Explorer parents and other leaders on exec firmly refused for the group to stock a few mora knives in the kit, because “it isn’t appropriate for scouts or explorers to use knives”. Perhaps I tried to sell it too strong - I had sent a pic of beavers using knives to learn bushcraft skills. And no we aren’t in an area known for rampant knife crime. I was dismayed.
    Well that's bullshirt! I'd be absolutely fuming!

Why are other leaders and parents dictating the scouts and explorers programme?
    Why is funding something as small as this even being discussed at the exec?
    What do the scouts and explorers do when they do cooking and want to chop meat/vegetables?
    How do the young people complete their Outdoor Challenge Award or Survival Skills (sponsored by Victorinox, the knife maker) or Explorers Camper badges?
    Why is there an HQ factsheet on how to use a knife safely if it's not appropriate to use a knife?

It's not the exec's role to stymie the programme but to support it. The correct answer to getting some knives is "how many do you need?"
    Last edited by ianw; 15-01-2020 at 02:06 PM.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

big chris (15-01-2020),boballan (15-01-2020),Bushfella (15-01-2020),dragonhhjh (15-01-2020),fenris (16-01-2020),johnL (15-01-2020),Kastor (15-01-2020),richardnhunt (15-01-2020),shiftypete (18-01-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    Well that's bullshirt! I'd be absolutely fuming!
    Aye! Isn’t it just!
    AESL

Thanks
    Thanked 2,246 Times in 1,406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    I would have thought, if it was windy enough to snap anything of trees that could cause injury, then it would be even worse walking out in the open.
    In my view you'd have thought wrong, but if you did think that, cancellation would be appropriate. Walking in the woods in very high winds is not safe. As I said, branches fall all over the place and one on your head means serious injury or even death.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,350 Times in 967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    In my view you'd have thought wrong, but if you did think that, cancellation would be appropriate. Walking in the woods in very high winds is not safe. As I said, branches fall all over the place and one on your head means serious injury or even death.
    In all my years walking (and living) in or around woods, I've never had this happen. It also depends on what kind of wood you're walking in, but even then - not walking in woods because it's a bit windy (and it would need to be proper windy), is (in my view) over-cautious.

I don't know how windy it was for the OP, or what kind of woods it was. But it's a judgement call you'd have to make yourself.

- - - Updated - - -

Ach tell me about it. Had something comparable recently. Explorer parents and other leaders on exec firmly refused for the group to stock a few mora knives in the kit, because it isnt appropriate for scouts or explorers to use knives. Perhaps I tried to sell it too strong - I had sent a pic of beavers using knives to learn bushcraft skills. And no we arent in an area known for rampant knife crime. I was dismayed.
    This is just out-and-out bizarre.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,190 Times in 1,726 Posts
    Ach, I find that ongoing images on the FB group tends to lay out the stall for what we do. Snowflake parents are not an issue.

Keeping people informed is the way ahead. Tell them, educate them, let them see development.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

ESL
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=
    parent: Just wondering, given the weather, if tonight's walk is still going ahead?
    me: yes
    parent: Brilliant! They'll love be out in this. Blow the cobwebs away for sure!! Have fun! ��
    [/QUOTE]

That parent has just got to be potential leader material

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Davies For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (18-01-2020)

Thanks
    Ach tell me about it. Had something comparable recently. Explorer parents and other leaders on exec firmly refused for the group to stock a few mora knives in the kit, because it isnt appropriate for scouts or explorers to use knives. Perhaps I tried to sell it too strong - I had sent a pic of beavers using knives to learn bushcraft skills. And no we arent in an area known for rampant knife crime. I was dismayed.
    Quite aside from "why is explorer equipment being discussed by group exec in the first place"? (ok - i'll get back in my box!)

Knife skills are a key scouting skill. I must admit if that had been me, I would have gone out and bought the knives myself and used them for Explorers if I could afford to do so. But if your authorisation limits are so low that small purchases like a few knives need to be authorised by the exec it must be very difficult to run the group.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to campwarden For This Useful Post:

big chris (15-01-2020)

Thanks
    Sometimeswith the cub section we get a "to young to go on a camp/night away from home " from parents.
    and now for the first time, we've had a not going because he is to young to go on a day trip on a coach - coach to nearby campsite (kibblestone) for an activity day