Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: HQ Job Cuts

Thanks
    Thanked 3,461 Times in 1,509 Posts

HQ Job Cuts

Scout Association plans job cuts due to ‘very challenging financial climate’

- See more at: https://www.civilsociety.co.uk/news/....2eWJYysD.dpuf

Thanks
    Thanked 2,398 Times in 1,387 Posts
    Staff costs in the annual report:

2019: £11,966,000
    2018: £9,600,000

Average staff numbers:

2019: 337
    2018: 324

Difficult times for HQ staff.

"litigation for local breaches of the equal opportunities policy"? What does that mean? Presumably there are lots more of these that we're not hearing about?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43519296
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Thanked 3,461 Times in 1,509 Posts
    a bit of this https://news.sky.com/story/ex-scout-...-quip-11493890

but mostly this, i'dguess https://www.thirdsector.co.uk/interv...rticle/1376817

"When Hyde eventually took the helm at the Scout Association from his long-serving predecessor, Derek Twine, he inherited a charity in a stable position. But the past two years have brought challenges: a year ago it admitted it had paid out about £500,000 in the previous two years to victims of historical abuse by scout leaders. Hyde says that victims continue to come forward, but he is unable to give the exact number or the amount of further payouts it is likely to have to make in the near future."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,352 Times in 969 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post

Average staff numbers:

"litigation for local breaches of the equal opportunities policy"? What does that mean? Presumably there are lots more of these that we're not hearing about?
    Possibly a good example of where being too risk averse costs TSA cash...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post

Average staff numbers:

Possibly a good example of where being too risk averse costs TSA cash...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    Scout Association plans job cuts due to ‘very challenging financial climate’

- See more at: https://www.civilsociety.co.uk/news/....2eWJYysD.dpuf
    Increased regulation costs are presumably related to additional labour required to address them. Which ought to increase staff numbers? I wonder how other charities are doing?

Litigation is clearly very bad news, and I wonder what the true numbers are in practice.

Numbers dropped last year - but you'll never hear TSA admit it, I suppose the relentless drive for numbers is, at least, sensible in a strapped financial climate.
    Last edited by RisingStar; 05-02-2020 at 04:36 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,411 Posts
    How about they look at which HQ services could be removed, and which should be beefed up?

Here's an idea - bin off the RDS in its present form. It's a waste of money, it doesn't do anything the CCs and other volunteers can't achieve.

Ramp back HQ to being a business support function, i.e. doing the stuff volunteers can't do. Beef up voluntary teams to be the primary driver of policy. Potentially even change CEO to one who will follow that approach (the UKCC should be "in charge" alongside the CofC).

End Bear Grylls' contract with thanks, we don't get enough benefit from him now.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    How about they look at which HQ services could be removed, and which should be beefed up?

Here's an idea - bin off the RDS in its present form. It's a waste of money, it doesn't do anything the CCs and other volunteers can't achieve.

Ramp back HQ to being a business support function, i.e. doing the stuff volunteers can't do. Beef up voluntary teams to be the primary driver of policy. Potentially even change CEO to one who will follow that approach (the UKCC should be "in charge" alongside the CofC).

End Bear Grylls' contract with thanks, we don't get enough benefit from him now.
    BG costs us nothing I believe (other than expenses) - and I'm reasonably sure he has attracted more members than any other single individual.

What's the RDS?!

I do agree however that cutting back on the teams which look at changing programme, training, PoR, badges etc, slow down the rate of change and reduce those team sizes.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RisingStar For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (05-02-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RisingStar View Post
    BG costs us nothing I believe (other than expenses) - and I'm reasonably sure he has attracted more members than any other single individual.
    He has done in the past but I'm not convinced it's really working any more.

What's the RDS?!
    The Regional Development Service, though it might well be called something else now. Regional Commissioners in my view bring basically no benefit. Even if they are volunteers (I forget if they are or not) my view is that their expenses are a waste of money.

I do agree however that cutting back on the teams which look at changing programme, training, PoR, badges etc, slow down the rate of change and reduce those team sizes.
    All of those need to be 100% volunteer roles, to be honest, other than secretarial type functions (again aligning with my view that HQ should be a business services organisation) - if any given member of staff in HQ does not bring direct benefit to the membership, they should go, and potentially be replaced with something useful if there is something, e.g. a larger Safeguarding Team to allow for quicker handling of suspensions. And any given role should only be paid if it is not possible to get a volunteer to do it.

HQ of late seems to have followed other large charities in being a job-creation exercise and that needs to stop.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Neil Williams For This Useful Post:

itchen (05-02-2020),pa_broon74 (05-02-2020),RisingStar (05-02-2020),shiftypete (05-02-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,352 Times in 969 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    HQ of late seems to have followed other large charities in being a job-creation exercise and that needs to stop.
    There will be some hugely complicated algorithm to work this out. Don't know about anyone else, but we've had a bit of an influx in paid regional development officers. If a role might have an affect on any sort of revenue streams, then having a paid person that you can boss about is far better than having a volunteer you can't. I think, TSA thinks, the badge program (for example) is an arm of it's own marketing policy, so needs paid people they can boss about to endlessly develop it.

I don't know if it's possible to have a disciplined team of volunteers in place of a salaried workforce.

Or maybe we need to accept changing times and up subs to pay for salaried CC's or something (they'd be area managers in any other business). Half the problem with many of the currently volunteer-led responsibilities is that they're led by volunteers who may have no experience in the are they're responsible for.

Thanks
    I wonder if it's due to all the out of court settlements!!! I hear they maybe a big capitation rise on the way to help pay them all....

Sent from my K10000 Pro using Tapatalk
    Paul Austin
    Kent Scouts SASU Water team
    G0AXQ, intrests in Scouting, Cycling, Hiking, anything on the water. seeing the young people achive.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I wonder if it's due to all the out of court settlements!!! I hear they maybe a big capitation rise on the way to help pay them all....

Sent from my K10000 Pro using Tapatalk
    What is the point of having liability insurance if TSA is paying settlements themselves?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by campwarden View Post
    What is the point of having liability insurance if TSA is paying settlements themselves?
    Because it won't pay out if TSA were negligent, or didn't follow their defined processes, or in many other cases.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by campwarden View Post
    TSA self-insures below a certain figure, and it's quite large. Unity has a large deposit in a Guernsey bank account for this purpose I believe. Even so I doubt you can insure against historic Safeguarding cases.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RisingStar View Post
    Because it won't pay out if TSA were negligent, or didn't follow their defined processes, or in many other cases.
    It may well be the case that those who didn't follow the processes were local volunteers, perhaps even known for their general disdain for the rules.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 848 Posts
    I believe the rises in the HQ membership fee for the last couple of years have mainly been to try to help plug a hole in TSA's pension fund (to the tune of millions of pounds a year) which has occurred largely due to actuarial changes i.e. the way the total pension liability and the value of the pension fund is assessed. The latest accounts show, from my reading, a pension liability of over £10m

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with