Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: To Akela or not?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    What printer do you have?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
    I found a cheapish second hand Anycubic Photon. So it’s an SLA printer but I use the eco resin, made out of soya oil so it’s not plastic and technically compostable (though I don’t know how long over) which is important as my Cubs have asked us to use less plastic.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeKGS View Post
    I found a cheapish second hand Anycubic Photon. So itís an SLA printer but I use the eco resin, made out of soya oil so itís not plastic and technically compostable (though I donít know how long over) which is important as my Cubs have asked us to use less plastic.
    Thank you. How much does a woggle cost? Ish.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    Thank you. How much does a woggle cost? Ish.

I’m still working that out but I’m guessing it’s up to a couple of £’s

I’ll know more after this weekend as I’m printing loads of the batman woggle so I can work it out better from there.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeKGS For This Useful Post:

big chris (15-02-2020)

Thanks
    Back to the original question, in Scouts we have always used first names - the only alternative being Skip which none of the leaders felt that comfortable with (don't know why).

We now have the challenge that two of the leaders in the Scout section are called John - makes for a little confusion!
    John Alexander,
    ASL and Assistant Webmaster
    1st Weald Brook
    http://www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk
    ESL(YL) Brentwood District

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wealdbrook View Post
    Back to the original question, in Scouts we have always used first names - the only alternative being Skip which none of the leaders felt that comfortable with (don't know why).

We now have the challenge that two of the leaders in the Scout section are called John - makes for a little confusion!
    ouch. I must admit I’ve not had much to do with our Scouts section other than sending a few kids there. If the Cub leaders are named after Jungle Book names, perhaps the scout ones are named after the Penguins of Madagascar :-D

i do know our other night Scout section the leader calls himself Baloo so maybe it’s handy for that sort of thing.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wealdbrook View Post

Heh, I remember when I was in the Troop there were two boys in the Cubs who were both Tom. To avoid confusion, one of them chose to go by Tommy instead. Worked fine, until they both went up to Scouts around the same time...and one of the ASLs was also Tommy...! xD
    1988 - 1990: 4th Streatham Sea Scouts (PMLO), Beaver
    1990 - 1998: 1st Streatham Common, Cub & Scout
    2004 - 2011: 1st Streatham Common, OH
    2011 - 2012: 1st Streatham Common, CSSA
    2012 - 2019: 1st Streatham Common, ACSL
    2019 on: 1st Streatham Common, GSL

Lambeth - The best Scout District in England!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KoopaCooper View Post
    Heh, I remember when I was in the Troop there were two boys in the Cubs who were both Tom. To avoid confusion, one of them chose to go by Tommy instead. Worked fine, until they both went up to Scouts around the same time...and one of the ASLs was also Tommy...! xD
    Back in the old days this problem would have been solved by use of a nickname. However, in these politically correct times, chances are someone would end up being offended.

(example: Years ago I remember hearing a teacher at school rollocking two kids for calling a kid "Sooty". The teacher had assumed it was a racist slur based on the colour of the child's skin... in fact his name was Sutanye and "Sutty" was how he chose to shorten his own name and what all his friends called him)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,187 Times in 1,725 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by campwarden View Post
    Back in the old days this problem would have been solved by use of a nickname. However, in these politically correct times, chances are someone would end up being offended.

(example: Years ago I remember hearing a teacher at school rollocking two kids for calling a kid "Sooty". The teacher had assumed it was a racist slur based on the colour of the child's skin... in fact his name was Sutanye and "Sutty" was how he chose to shorten his own name and what all his friends called him)

I must admit that it is rare to hear kids being called by their nickname nowadays. In a way, it is a little sad.

I can remember a few folk from schooldays who had nicknames - they were all characters and the only one who ever objected, and it is understandable why, was a lass with naturally afro hair - as far as anyone knew she was as white as everyone else but she did get called Sambo. When she objected with considerable prejudice when one lad called her that, she lost her nickname.

I recall teachers that had nicknames that went back to my father's generation, where it was the norm.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    I must admit that it is rare to hear kids being called by their nickname nowadays. In a way, it is a little sad.

My nickname in primary school was Koopa Trooper (a riff on my surname that you can see I still choose to use now) - the Super Mario Bros movie came out when I was in about year 4. I actually liked that movie (still do, it was surprisingly good for its time).

My teacher thought I'd mind that, but honestly I didn't...especially when the alternative was being called Fatso. >_>

(Ironically, I was not the fattest kid in the class - but as she was also the class bully, she completely escaped that one! xD)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by campwarden View Post

Unbelievably now, when I was a Cub our 'Cubmaster' called 2 of the boys 'Rumbletummy' and 'Dumpling'!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by crisolin View Post
    Unbelievably now, when I was a Cub our 'Cubmaster' called 2 of the boys 'Rumbletummy' and 'Dumpling'!
    I had one teacher at school for A-Level Computing, everyone in the class called him Zippy (to each other and to him directly) - 'cos his initials were ZP. We'd sometimes ask him how Bungle and George were doing as we were just the right age for that reference...he was young enough that he got it too and didn't mind the nickname at all; we were a well-behaved class otherwise and did all our work, and the nickname was meant in an affectionate manner.

Then again, we had another A-Level Computing teacher who we called Mr Sheen, 'cos of his extremely shiny bald head. This was only ever used sarcastically and never to his face (none of the class liked him), although I think some of the other teachers knew to whom we were referring, and we did get in trouble for it.

So nicknames can definitely go both ways...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,346 Times in 964 Posts
    Yup.

Nicknames can be double-edged for sure. I've also noticed they're no longer as prevalent as they once were.

I don't actually know why kids don't use them. Maybe it is as result of these politically correct times, or maybe it's because kids are a lot less laddish (if you know what I mean) these days. (I suspect it's the latter).

May nickname at Scouts was for years the same as my screen name here, but it's since faded away - I think probably because where it came from originally has also faded. (The Broons comic strip and annual.)

That said, my nicknames at school were not nearly so harmless. I tend not to use them at all - you just never know - even if kids did have them - which they don't anyway, so it's moot. What isn't moot, is that unfortunately, sometimes they find other more inventive ways to be horrible to each other. Seeing a kid who is otherwise really quite nice being horrible in such an off-handed way, is always a wee bit depressing.

I wouldn't count the Cub names as nicknames though. They're more like a nom de guerre than anything else.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,187 Times in 1,725 Posts
    I had a Scout I called Bubblehead - it stuck and became widespread at school. Even his mum started calling him Bubblehead... I had another one we called Oddball because he looked a bit like Donald Sutherland and he was also also a little spaced out. Latterly, he was actually spaced out!

I have a Navigator whom I refer to a "smiler" because he never smiles. Except when he gets called "Smiler". And we have two little Junior Navs we call the Minions - they love it.

Other than those, nicknames are few and far between.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    In ten years of Scouting as an adult, I can think of maybe two kids that nick names. When I went to school in England, upon my arrival I was informed my nick name would be "Eddie". From Eddie Yeats; the dustman on Coranation Street. It actually stuck, and many people, including the parents of friends, thought it was my real name Heck, even the housemaster practically forgot I had any other name.

From a Cub perspective though, we always used jungle names for the leaders. A great part of the whole jungle book symbology.

Allan.

Thanks
    When I first started as a leader nicknames among kids were reasonably common. By the time I left we only really had one kid, a YL, who had a nickname - and that nickname came from his mum!

Nicknames can go both ways. Used among mates they can help forge a bond. But used by bullies they can be very harmful.

Funnily enough the one place they do seem to still be used (as I experienced with a previous job) is in the emergency services. Most emergency service personnel seem to have them.

Clearly Akela etc aren't nicknames (sorry - i suspect i was, at least in part, to blame for the thread drift here!), indeed perhaps the one advantage of them is it reduces the likelihood of kids creating nicknames for the leaders.

I think the only adults in our group that had regularly used nicknames were "Q" (unsurprisingly our quartermaster) and "G.T." (who went by his initials to differentiate him from the other George)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to campwarden For This Useful Post:

ASLChris (17-02-2020)