Thread: Recruiting issue...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,182 Times in 1,722 Posts

Recruiting issue...

Over the years I have done a bit of recruiting for Scouts, at my own group and at District level for other Groups. I have been doing a bit of recruiting for adults in Navs as well. It has always been a long haul, a difficult sell. I have seen Regional development managers stunned by the lack of support at recruiting events.

So, when circumstances locally suggested support for the recreation of a youth club, I asked people to step up instead of moaning. Meeting One - I had two volunteers. Meeting two, on Wednesday this week, I had another five. This morning I have a total of 19 volunteers prepared to come in and work with what could be "difficult" young people.

I have never experienced this level of interest or support. Most of these volunteers have not been involved with Scouting. Most have never responded to appeals to help with Scouting. I'm not sure what that tells me about how people see scouting compared to youth work.

I suspect that interest may drop off when reality strikes, but nonetheless, we see that is Scouting volunteers as well.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    I think the downside to a big "brand" like Scouting is that its very easy to feel that if you don't do it "head office" will ensure someone steps up - whether that be manpower or provide finance. In your situation there is more of an immediate gratitude curve - you've identified a problem, you've sat down together as a community recognising no-one else is going to help you, so people are willing to help themselves. Maybe its the brand thing, maybe its the perceived need that isn't there amongst the good kids that go to Scouts etc.
    Does anyone know what's going on?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mang21 For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (14-02-2020),shiftypete (14-02-2020)

Thanks
    How did you advertise your meeting/recruiting?
    To get more kids we need more adults - are we getting the message yet?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 961 Posts
    There's still a lot of stigma attached to the Scouting brand, and I would say, sometimes we don't do ourselves any favours when it comes to dispelling them.

I don't think it's what Scouting actually is, it's what kind of people, other people think Scouting attracts. They most certainly do not think of themselves as being close to, never mind matching that criteria.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,182 Times in 1,722 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kastor View Post
    How did you advertise your meeting/recruiting?
    Simply through local social media - mostly Facebook. We have six Groups/ pages covering the villages that we serve and I always promote Navs in all of them, so I did the same for the Youth Cafe. If I am honest, almost all the respondents come from one village - the one with the highest profile youth issues.

I used to do the same with Scouts but we never had that sort of response when looking for adults.

I have also been inundated with support structures - social services, youth support, family welfare, mental health support etc., etc.. None of whom rushed forward to help with Navigators or Scouts - in fact, some ignored requests for help at one point!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    There's still a lot of stigma attached to the Scouting brand, and I would say, sometimes we don't do ourselves any favours when it comes to dispelling them.

I don't think it's what Scouting actually is, it's what kind of people, other people think Scouting attracts. They most certainly do not think of themselves as being close to, never mind matching that criteria.

This, I think, is very true.

I hope they have visions of Spike Milligan or Russ Abbott rather than some of the less amusing images we see in the press.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,271 Times in 844 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post

This is one of the reasons I try to include photos of Leaders doing things in publicity and our facebook group etc as it hopefully helps to show we are normal people (and in our Group mostly under 40 and about 50% female as well) not wierd knotting geeks or whatever people have in their minds when they think of a Scout leader

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

8. The Following User Says Thank You to shiftypete For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (14-02-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    This is one of the reasons I try to include photos of Leaders doing things in publicity and our facebook group etc as it hopefully helps to show we are normal people (and in our Group mostly under 40 and about 50% female as well) not wierd knotting geeks or whatever people have in their minds when they think of a Scout leader
    A couple of group websites i've seen have "Profiles" of the leaders, which show what they do in their day jobs. Makes it clear that the leaders a) have day jobs and b) are normal people doing normal jobs such as accountants, teachers, plumbers, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    We (and many other groups around us) used to go for a pint after Scouts. We made a point of always wearing uniform (which used to upset the DC). It showed the local community that we were normal people, who went for a pint after volunteering and were friendly and sociable. On more than one occasion a former scout (our leader team were all too young to have actually been their leader) would stop for a chat. On one occaision a chap in his 40s insisted on buying us a round of drinks - apparently he would have loved to buy his old scout leaders the drinks but this was the next best thing!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to campwarden For This Useful Post:

ntahall (14-02-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by campwarden View Post
    A couple of group websites i've seen have "Profiles" of the leaders, which show what they do in their day jobs. Makes it clear that the leaders a) have day jobs and b) are normal people doing normal jobs such as accountants, teachers, plumbers, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

We (and many other groups around us) used to go for a pint after Scouts. We made a point of always wearing uniform (which used to upset the DC). It showed the local community that we were normal people, who went for a pint after volunteering and were friendly and sociable. On more than one occasion a former scout (our leader team were all too young to have actually been their leader) would stop for a chat. On one occaision a chap in his 40s insisted on buying us a round of drinks - apparently he would have loved to buy his old scout leaders the drinks but this was the next best thing!
    We used to go for a pint. That is how we ended up recruiting the barmaid into Scouting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk