Page 33 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: Planning against the threat of a pandemic

Thanks
    Thanked 2,246 Times in 1,406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Our borough council has made their car parks free.
    Closing them would make more sense, unless adjacent to a food shop, a pharmacy or another NHS facility.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,190 Times in 1,726 Posts
    So, we didn't stockpile.

If No2 Son didn't work for Aldi we would be stuffed. Long queues, no stock at the local shops, and half my meds are unavailable...
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    Closing them would make more sense, unless adjacent to a food shop, a pharmacy or another NHS facility.
    The car park in our town is the only sensible parking for 2 pharmacies, 3 banks, a post office, butcher, baker, greengrocer and 2 small supermarkets. All of them considered essential businesses.

Thanks
    We live in a old town where many homes do not have their own parking. The car park is free overnight and has the cars of many locals parked there. They move them in the morning when the charges start. Usually many of them would be going to work but clearly many are not now. Removing the charge reduces the chances of them moving the car and making an unnecessary journey or parking in a stupid place.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kev For This Useful Post:

campwarden (25-03-2020),dralphs (26-03-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ASLChris View Post

I disagree. Some people live in areas where it is busy right outside their home - getting in the car and driving somewhere where they can socially distance themselves is safer. It just requires people to have common sense and if somehwere is busy when they arrive, to go on somewhere else!

Your criteria is foine for those who don't live in busy areas or have their own garden etc where outside space is easy to come by. Lots of people don't. I think that anyone with a garden should be prohibited from leaving their property to exercise - use your personal space and let the people who have no choice use everywhere else.
    See here:
    https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/new...arning-3981426
    Derbyshire police have warned people that traveling to the Peak District for their daily dose of exercise is not allowed during the Covid-19 crisis.

They say that exercise should be done close to home as all travel is limited to essential travel only.

This ensures that the emergency services are not stretched even further.

Sarcastically, the first of a number of Derbyshire police tweets reads: "What a lovely day! The perfect day to drive up into the Peak District for a walk, bike ride, climb or horse ride, isnít it?

"No, actually it isnít."

The thread continues: "Weíre seeing a lot of confusion over whether people are allowed to travel to the Peaks to undertake daily exercise while the government are asking us to stay at home.

"While we have this fantastic space in our county, right now is not the time to be using it.

"Daily exercise should be taken locally to your home. Under government guidance all travel is limited to essential travel only.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    We live in a old town where many homes do not have their own parking. The car park is free overnight and has the cars of many locals parked there. They move them in the morning when the charges start. Usually many of them would be going to work but clearly many are not now. Removing the charge reduces the chances of them moving the car and making an unnecessary journey or parking in a stupid place.
    Good point. I imagine the same is true in our town centre given the number of cars usually there at 7am on a Sunday morning!

Thanks
    Just been out for our weekly shop, supermarkets very empty - bit short of some things but enough to keep us going for the next week. Overflowing with Easter eggs which don't appear to be in short supply so daughter now happy!

Thanks
    Popped to the shop today for a neighbour... definitely well stocked and No queues.

Thanks
    Yup, the busy times seem to be the NHS hour and the first hour afterwards, then it calms down they restock and all is normal(ish)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RisingStar View Post
    Yup, the busy times seem to be the NHS hour and the first hour afterwards, then it calms down they restock and all is normal(ish)
    Well, my lad has just come in from a late shift and that is not what he is seeing. Still pretty mad. Customers being abusive. No social distancing. Paying cash - one woman took money out of her bra to pay. Everything but normal.

But then they do say, "from Hell, Halifax and Hull Protect us".
    Ewan Scott

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    Well, my lad has just come in from a late shift and that is not what he is seeing. Still pretty mad. Customers being abusive. No social distancing. Paying cash - one woman took money out of her bra to pay. Everything but normal.

But then they do say, "from Hell, Halifax and Hull Protect us".
    The more you tell me about your part of the world, the more I know I would never, ever want to live there

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard T View Post
    "Local" does not mean you have to start and end at your door. In any case, if those with gardens stayed in them, there would be no traffic and all would be fine for everyone else regardless.

Thanks
    The more you tell me about your part of the world, the more I know I would never, ever want to live there

If we sat in our houses and did not get involved we would not be aware of much that goes on. If, in Scouts, I had toed the line and doffed my cap, everything would have been fine.

The store is in a, not particularly salubrious part of Halifax. And it gets a bit rough at the best of times.

Many members of staff - even at the best of times, have been abused and threatened by shoplifters trying to intimidate their way out of being detained. Some of the incidents have been quite amusing - like the druggie stealing a stack of stuff dropped a frozen leg of lamb. The store manager picked it up and threw it at him, knocking him over and then detaining him. The culprit looked astonished and when the Police arrived tried to claim assault " He hit me with an effing leg of lamb"!

More concerning have been the needles used as weapons - but apparently this is actually quite common across the chain's stores in the UK.

The store is on a retail park and the various budget stores' staff know the druggies and the shoplifters and they try to look out for each other. To the extent that knowing the young all female staff in another store were being visited by a gang of thugs. Staff from other stores stepped in to help and got them to close the shutters till the Police arrived.

It isn't all bad. I actually live in a quiet little village with a church, a dentist and a pub - oh, and lots of horses!

It is just like any other place if you scratch the surface. Lots of good people and unfortunately, a fair number of disproportionately active not so good people.
    Ewan Scott

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

Neil Williams (26-03-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ASLChris View Post
    "Local" does not mean you have to start and end at your door. In any case, if those with gardens stayed in them, there would be no traffic and all would be fine for everyone else regardless.
    People sat in cars dont spread the virus. There is a huge difference in the health benefits of pacing around a slabbed garden in town and going for a solitary walk in the countryside

Sat today wondering just how long it will take the goodsam team to sort through 400,000 volunteer applications!

Thanks
    Interestingly most Police forces are saying they will be considering driving for exercise to be "unnecessary travel". I sort of agree but am of the opinion that the Government should have said it (given the honeypotting going on), but that the Police shouldn't be making up things that the Government hasn't said until they do - indeed they *did* say you could drive somewhere quieter.

I think the way I'd have gone with it would be to state "no more than one hour out of the house for exercise" which keeps it sensible and local.