Page 32 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: Planning against the threat of a pandemic

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    If it's felt you won't get it twice, it's still useful even if it only "unlocks" a few thousand people.
    Also true.

As most people who are self isolating with the virus are receiving no form of testing at the moment, the most conservative estimates suggest that only 10% of cases have been tested.

The difficulty wouldbe proving that people with positive antibody tests have actually tested themselves and aren't using positive antibody tests from other people to get back "unlocked".

I think its fair to say "i hope i've had it".

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by campwarden View Post

How do you define "anyone with a garden"? Most modern houses are built with a postage stamp for a back garden.

It's a big country - and outside of the cities (which in themselves present more of a problem) there is plenty of space for everyone. Especially as at any given time some people will be too ill or frail to get out and about, many will still be at work, and around 1/4 of the population live in Greater London, Greater Birmingham or Greater Manchester

Due to the way our land use works, its people who have gardens who are also more likely to have access to other outdoor areas.

I know I can walk along the footpath from here to work, or from here towards our nearest town, and barely meet another soul - and I also have a 30ft rear garden (or maybe its a 30ft bramble patch!)
    A "postage stamp" is more than many have. If you have a garden, you should stay in it. Stay at home and save lives. Let those of us who have no choice but to go into public to exercise or even get fresh air do so in safety.

- - - Updated - - -

If it's felt you won't get it twice, it's still useful even if it only "unlocks" a few thousand people.
    Indeed, and those people can then support the country by doing things which could harm others or spread the disease. I think it's fair to hope that I've already had it and could (if this is true) help out the country!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ASLChris View Post
    A "postage stamp" is more than many have. If you have a garden, you should stay in it. Stay at home and save lives. Let those of us who have no choice but to go into public to exercise or even get fresh air do so in safety.

- - - Updated - - -

Indeed, and those people can then support the country by doing things which could harm others or spread the disease. I think it's fair to hope that I've already had it and could (if this is true) help out the country!
    I dont think people going out for walks round here are going to make any difference whatsoever to each other's safety. The whole village could fit on the village sports field whilst still observing social distancing!

Across the road from me is a row of cottages with elderly occupants... the occupants are sat in their front gardens, several meters away from each other, conversing rather loudly with each other. I guess its the rural british equivalent of the scenes in italy with people all standing at their windows talking across streets!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,352 Times in 969 Posts
    I also wonder, how many of the folks out gadding about, are only out gadding about because all of sudden they might not be allowed to gad about.

Are people panic exercising?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    I also wonder, how many of the folks out gadding about, are only out gadding about because all of sudden they might not be allowed to gad about.

Are people panic exercising?
    If, among other changes in life that come out of this, people learn to exercise regularly, its probably not a bad thing! But yes I suspect some of them are doing it because the restrictions make them value it.
    Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mang21 View Post
    If, among other changes in life that come out of this, people learn to exercise regularly, its probably not a bad thing! But yes I suspect some of them are doing it because the restrictions make them value it.
    Not even that. It's just that "exercise" is their sxcuse to flout the lockdown restrictions because they don't think it "really" applies to them.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ASLChris View Post
    Not even that. It's just that "exercise" is their sxcuse to flout the lockdown restrictions because they don't think it "really" applies to them.
    If they are running or walking on their own they are not flouting anything.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Neil Williams For This Useful Post:

BigBadBaloo (25-03-2020),RisingStar (25-03-2020),shiftypete (25-03-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,190 Times in 1,726 Posts
    If they are running or walking on their own they are not flouting anything.
    Seen quite a few in groups of four or five - patently not family members.

Sadly, too little has been done, too late. The economy came first. Now everyone is going to suffer and the economy is still going to tank.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    Seen quite a few in groups of four or five - patently not family members.

Sadly, too little has been done, too late. The economy came first. Now everyone is going to suffer and the economy is still going to tank.
    Round here its individuals, couples or small groups who definitely look like families (ie mum dad and a small number of children). I'm told the police are patrolling the riverside picnic sites to disperse groups)

I slightly disagree with your theory about the economy. The government chose for a while to follow one set of scientific modelling then switched to follow a model. No-one knows for sure what's going to happen - last time there was a large, non-vaccinated, virus outbreak of any significance the world was a very different place.

Thanks
    I'm disgusted to be told that a friend (visiting the pharmacy in town) found a parking warden checking the 8 or so cars in the massive, almost empty, pay and display car park for tickets.

Surely the council shouldnt be encouraging people to touch the pay and display machines and should have taken them out of order

Thanks
    I'm disgusted to be told that a friend (visiting the pharmacy in town) found a parking warden checking the 8 or so cars in the massive, almost empty, pay and display car park for tickets.

Surely the council shouldnt be encouraging people to touch the pay and display machines and should have taken them out of order
    I can't remember the last time I touched a pay machine - they all take parking apps, so pay by mobile. Make them cashless !

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RisingStar View Post
    Make them cashless !

Hopefully thats one of the good things that will come out of the clean up from all this- the country has gone cashless in a matter of days for hygiene reasons, a good excuse to move forward into modern technology and not switch back hopefully.
    --
    Dan Sheehan
    Group Scout Leader
    9th Muswell Hill Scout Group

District Training Adviser
    District Executive Member
    District Appointment Advisory Comittee
    North London District Scouts

web: www.9thmuswellhill.org.uk
    twitter: @9thMuswellHill
    facebook: /9thmuswellhill

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dsheehan For This Useful Post:

RisingStar (25-03-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RisingStar View Post
    I can't remember the last time I touched a pay machine - they all take parking apps, so pay by mobile. Make them cashless !
    Round here they charge extra if you use the apps or mobile service....

Thanks
    One good bit of news is that eScouts has come back to life this month....

Round here they charge extra if you use the apps or mobile service....
    Yes, 20p I think, well worth it for reducing the risk.

Thanks

Our borough council has made their car parks free.