Page 1 of 91 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Planning against the threat of a pandemic

Thanks

Planning against the threat of a pandemic

OK - I genuinely don't want a 1st FB style debate about the virus, the debates there show a frightening level of ignorance or complacency. However I hope we'd all accept that there is a significant risk that all scouting activities may be cancelled later this year at govt advice or just parental wariness.

However, we are thinking about our Summer camp and later district camp both of which require deposits to be paid. There must be a serious risk that they won't go ahead and we don't really have the funds to repay all of our costs if we have to cancel.

So thoughts are that we may swallow hard and just not go ahead this year at the risk that all is well (but then that's a good outcome in societal terms!). Has it entered other's thoughts ?

Thanks
    Unity offer event cancellation insurance. Our District has it, you just tell then the event and its covered.

Ask them about it, it may be what you need.
    To get more kids we need more adults - are we getting the message yet?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kastor View Post
    Unity offer event cancellation insurance. Our District has it, you just tell then the event and its covered.

Ask them about it, it may be what you need.
    They won't cover anything Corona related taken out after 31st January.

Thanks
    At the moment the only thing we've got booked in (and money collected for) is the County jamboree. Whilst I suspect that has some cancellation insurance, I don't know to what extent it will cover refunds if cancelled, and because of its scale its obviously more likely to be impacted by any restriction on large gatherings. That said it is what it is, and we have to assume for the moment that it will go ahead.

That's the challenge - the unknown.
    Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,416 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RisingStar View Post
    However I hope we'd all accept that there is a significant risk that all scouting activities may be cancelled later this year at govt advice or just parental wariness.
    Au contraire, I'd say the risk of all activities being cancelled are slim. It's all a lot of guesswork and unknowns whichever way you look at it. From what I've read I can see signs the government is flag waving that they might cancel "large" events for a time. I think the only thing that would affect week to week meetings is if they closed all schools, it would seem counter-productive to still meet at scouts.
    We had a suspected case locally and the school shut for a couple of days for a deep clean. We asked the explorers that went there to have the week off as a precaution but as it turned out to be a negative test, no more action needed.

However, we are thinking about our Summer camp and later district camp both of which require deposits to be paid. There must be a serious risk that they won't go ahead and we don't really have the funds to repay all of our costs if we have to cancel.

So thoughts are that we may swallow hard and just not go ahead this year at the risk that all is well (but then that's a good outcome in societal terms!). Has it entered other's thoughts ?
    Yes, we've got a district camp for St. Georges, and we're just in a holding pattern at the moment, still taking bookings, but trying not to pay out for activities and hired in stuff for as long as possible, see how it develops in the next few weeks.

Is your summer camp in May or something? I know, I'm not an expert, but it's safe to say most experts seem to think this is a winter thing. I guess the problem is if a large gathering ban is put in place that's open ended. And what is large? If it's 5000+ like the French have done in Paris, then does it matter if you do a camp for 500? Not legally, but I suspect yes, a more than a few parents will have a bit of a wobble about it. I'm not remotely thinking about not booking Gilwell24 (July), or organising July summer camp and Theme Park Camp. Maybe I'm dangerously naive and cavalier.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    Au contraire, I'd say the risk of all activities being cancelled are slim.....
    Probably but then you wont' get a great turn out if parents decide it's not safe, or if schools are shut.

We're looking at August and September where the weather is supposed to kill it off a bit, but then no one really seems to know.

Thanks
    Au contraire, I'd say the risk of all activities being cancelled are slim.....
    Probably but then you wont' get a great turn out if parents decide it's not safe, or if schools are shut.

We're looking at August and September where the weather is supposed to kill it off a bit, but then no one really seems to know.

Thanks
    The measured and proportionate response is to carry on until we know for a fact what we're doing will be affected, and then change plans to take the new facts into account. Yes, this virus could be different and not die out as it warms up, or we could be right as rain in four weeks. Certain sections of the media are getting hysterical, that much I do know.

Maybe put a refund policy together for summer camp? Something like you'll pay back all you can minus already spent funds.
    Ian Wilkins

Thanks
    We run our "Summer Camp" (equivalent) over May Half Term- a historic issue of being a well to do area and huge numbers of our membership (and leaders) going away for significant portions or the whole summer.

Info for this went out 10 days ago and responses are at about half of what we traditionally expect/ predicted from a show of hands expression of interest.

It has been suggested people are holding out to see how things develop not to take financially risks. I can understand that. I'm fairly bullish about these thing but people will be worried about the commitment.

Interestingly I've been trying to get the small event insurance for our summer season events sorted for a few weeks now with Unity and keep getting fobbed of with the online system down, "computer system slow" when I call or "can I call back later"... coincidence? I'm starting to wonder!
    --
    Dan Sheehan
    Group Scout Leader
    9th Muswell Hill Scout Group

District Training Adviser
    District Executive Member
    District Appointment Advisory Comittee
    North London District Scouts

web: www.9thmuswellhill.org.uk
    twitter: @9thMuswellHill
    facebook: /9thmuswellhill

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dsheehan View Post
    Interestingly I've been trying to get the small event insurance for our summer season events sorted for a few weeks now with Unity and keep getting fobbed of with the online system down, "computer system slow" when I call or "can I call back later"... coincidence? I'm starting to wonder!
    I'm sure I read somewhere that Unity have already excluded coronavirus (or more probably "pandemics*" generally) from their current cancellation policy, but I don't know the details.

* Not that it's classed as a pandemic yet etc etc
    Ian Wilkins

Thanks
    I'm sure I read somewhere that Unity have already excluded coronavirus
    Indeed they have. As I'm sure most insures have in some sense.

But had I been able to do it the first, second or even third time I tried we would have been fully covered for our big projects. Annoying yes- but we'll cope and would rather take some risk than close down and not do anything "just incase"
    --
    Dan Sheehan
    Group Scout Leader
    9th Muswell Hill Scout Group

District Training Adviser
    District Executive Member
    District Appointment Advisory Comittee
    North London District Scouts

web: www.9thmuswellhill.org.uk
    twitter: @9thMuswellHill
    facebook: /9thmuswellhill

Thanks
    They won't cover anything Corona related taken out after 31st January.
    They won't for travel insurance but what about the included Event insurance?

https://www.unityinsuranceservices.c...vent-insurance (Grey bit towards the bottom of the page (I hate these modern websites ))

This will depend on whether you already have "annual Scout Property and Equipment Insurance policy" with Unity though.
    To get more kids we need more adults - are we getting the message yet?

Thanks
    I was wondering about this issue. Obviously we'll need to follow Government and SA advice. On the other hand, a Scout meeting in itself is a far smaller gathering than a school, and it won't be possible to avoid all small gatherings. There again, many Scouts meet in places used by the community, generating quite a lot of traffic, and Scout meetings are not, ultimately essential to life. Similar arguments for camps, which will be of a different scale with 15 Scouts in a field somewhere from attending a County gathering.

Watch this space, I suppose.
    SL, 11th Hitchin

Thanks
    Thanked 3,328 Times in 1,805 Posts
    I have just had an insurance claim refused because the cancellation was due to Coronavirus. I'm glad we didn't go ahead with our 2020 International.

If/ when the peak hits us, I will probably cancell all meetings until further notice. Or, try to find a different way of keeping people involved, but the diverse nature of the membership might make that difficult.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    After I posted, I was wondering about that. Assume, for the sake of argument, that we have to cancel much of the summer-term programme. Parents have bored kids at home for weeks/months. Is there anything we could do to provide activities to keep their Scouting going (for those who wanted at least), that they could do as individuals or (if parents chose) in very small groups? Challenge to walk a hike route and take pictures to prove it, for example? Short meetings on Skype? What can the hive mind come up with?
    SL, 11th Hitchin