Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Free broadband for Scout HQs? new HQ tie in with plusnet

Thanks
    Thanked 1,350 Times in 967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dralphs View Post
    Difficult to answer but with our Hut usually in use 4 evenings a week, it would be used for OSM, Go!, eDofe and more. There has also been a few times where we would have liked to have hosted an event in the hut but without internet (4G isn't up to sharing to large numbers) we couldn't do it.
    A more obscure purpose would be for casting. We have a digital projector in the hall, it's attached to the ceiling. It's hardwired for VGA etc (with an HDMI adaptor - the projector needs upgraded). But, you can plug in a Chrome-cast and cast to it from your phone or laptop/tablet. That means users wouldn't be tied to the cupboard where all the hardware is - it's no where near the screen.

A Chrome-cast needs wifi and an internet connection to work. I discovered that, to my absolute frustration some time ago.

(There are probably other casting devices that don't, but who can be arsed... )

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

dralphs (24-03-2020)

Thanks
    We have a LAN and wiFi in our hall but it is not connected to the internet but it does work well for casting using a chromecast-like dongle to our projector or TV screen. We also have a router with a SIM card slot so we can put a 4G SIM in for temporary internet connection.

We don't have a landline so the Plusnet offer is attractive to us... but at the moment it looks like PR - where's the deal? Why have they announced it but not offering it?

Thanks
    I doubt if they are following up on the offer just at the moment. From what I’ve read no telecoms company are taking orders which might require a visit to the premises.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,350 Times in 967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul o View Post
    We have a LAN and wiFi in our hall but it is not connected to the internet but it does work well for casting using a chromecast-like dongle to our projector or TV screen. We also have a router with a SIM card slot so we can put a 4G SIM in for temporary internet connection.

We don't have a landline so the Plusnet offer is attractive to us... but at the moment it looks like PR - where's the deal? Why have they announced it but not offering it?
    I'd be interested to know what kind of casting device you're using?

I have a knots app on my phone (for example). It has animations on it. It would be useful to be able to cast that to a big screen.

Ta.

Paul B

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul o View Post
    Why have they announced it but not offering it?
    I suspect maybe the lack of the offer going ahead at the moment might be due to a small medical issue thus currently ongoing

7. The Following User Says Thank You to campwarden For This Useful Post:

big chris (06-04-2020)