Thread: Minecraft

ACSL
    Thanks

Minecraft

I have noticed quite a few people have set up Minecraft servers for their groups as a way to meet while actual meetings are off and was wondering if people have done this with cubs?

I can see it working well with explorers, but would like people's experience with the younger ones, or with mixed ages ie. one server for the whole group.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,460 Times in 1,508 Posts
    I tried and failed when I wanted to get it to work cross-platfirm and it made my brain ache.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 3,190 Times in 1,726 Posts
    Forgive me, but surely those who are into Minecraft will, well, already have a network that they play in?

I must admit that I am struggling to think of ways of keeping things going - it is hard to imagine that kids who never do any prep work between sessions are suddenly going to give time to doing "scouty" stuff now that they have no meetings.

If it works for you, then that's fantastic.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    Forgive me, but surely those who are into Minecraft will, well, already have a network that they play in?

I must admit that I am struggling to think of ways of keeping things going - it is hard to imagine that kids who never do any prep work between sessions are suddenly going to give time to doing "scouty" stuff now that they have no meetings.

If it works for you, then that's fantastic.
    the trick is to let them play together in their own world. That is what i am trying to understand and get working. I have done it ona Lan before i want to make it work remotely for them in a scout troop world.

I am going to try to buy into this home scouting idea and get it running

Thanks
    Thanked 3,190 Times in 1,726 Posts
    Good luck.

I suspect that part of my issue is that I have kids who did not want to go to Scouts - but equally were not overly keen on the Youth Group crowd, therefore the concept is slightly different. But even at Scouts we struggled to get anything done between section nights with Scouts - and Explorers... seriously?
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    i think the most valuabe thing we can do with the 13+ age kids is to make sure they have a medium of communication with their peers. An isolated teen could be helped by something as simple as asking the cool natural leader to start a whatsapp group or a snapchat group or whatever. Kids are mostly nice and kind and it would be possible to keep an eye remotely on the kids who might feel extra isoloated.

i know that scouts and then explorers is the only social life that some kids have and we might be able to do some good.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (23-03-2020)

ACSL
    Thanks
    A few good points, thanks.

We are having our first virtual meeting this wednesday so I am just going to ask them if they want one or not. If not enough want it, I won't bother. If only a few want one, I might offer it to the rest of the group, see what people say.

Thankfully, I have someone else who has offered to set servers up for people who want them, which is useful. I had started looking into it and was coming to the conclusion it could be more complicated than I first thought.

Thanks
    See https://www.scoutwired.org/minecraft/

We are planning to try it this week. Anything I should know?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    See https://www.scoutwired.org/minecraft/

We are planning to try it this week. Anything I should know?
    My daughter looked at this and apparently each player needs a paid for Minecraft subscription, which we did not expect. I might have a look at setting up a server for an open source clone of Minecraft called Minetest: https://www.minetest.net