Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Be prepared

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RisingStar View Post
    The really annoying thing is that govt has to do these things because when they asked people to do them they were widely ignored. Good news is that parks remain open and exercise may be had.
    We have a local beauty spot near work.

Over the weekend it was good to see lots of people out for walks, staying away from other people, families, etc.

It was more disappointing to see two or three massive groups clearly having bbq parties. Groups of maybe 20 or 30 people.

I despair at the British people. We could have kept pubs open if people could have been trusted to sit well spaced on the gardens. We could have kept the outdoor leisure industry operational if people could have been trusted to be sensible.

I'm not going to claim to have followed Boris advice to the letter... but some people really have been taking the piss.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to campwarden For This Useful Post:

Neil Williams (24-03-2020),pa_broon74 (24-03-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by campwarden View Post
    I'm not going to claim to have followed Boris advice to the letter... but some people really have been taking the piss.
    Totally agree! Hopefully confining people to their homes will help the staff that can get in to replenish the shelves.

From a crime point of view, the opportunities for the less socially minded in the country have now gone through the roof. All these businesses that have had to be abandoned will return to empty premises.

I hope that delaying the spread will reduce the strain on the NHS. With 2 daughters in their employ I know first hand the stress that our angels are under. The lack of PPE is placing them, and their families, at risk.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nele View Post
    We're now at the stage where the police are stopping people and fining them if they are taking unnecessary journeys. You can take a walk, but only close to home. Buying food is still allowed, but you have to go alone and spend no more than 30 minutes in the shop!
    with that in mind I made a full menu for the week and wrote down everything I needed before going, which I only normally do if off to camp or for a special menu. I got almost everything although frozen veg, yeast and flour were in short supply. Luckily we do have some of those still. Hopefully I won't need to go shopping again for a week and that will lessen the risks.
    The problem with all of these changes is that those of us who don't hav our own garden are basically forced to spend at least 23 hours a day inside. This is going to destroy my mental health.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,190 Times in 1,726 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ASLChris View Post
    The problem with all of these changes is that those of us who don't hav our own garden are basically forced to spend at least 23 hours a day inside. This is going to destroy my mental health.
    Chris, that presupposes that you were in fine mental health in the first place...

Seriously, it is a real concern. I work from home, in a normal month I might have no physical contact with anyone outside the immediate faily, except for Navigators on a Thursday evening. It is very difficult. My wife has often not understood why I get so irritable. I have tried to explain that it is not nice being stuck indoors and not seeing anyone for a chat. (It isn't the same over the phone). It is one of the reasons that I frequent here or FB, to keep some sanity.

Latterly, I had started to get more involved with the local community centre so that I was getting more personal contact - often with some very different people. Now, without that, and stuck at home, it is going to be difficult. On top of that my Grandson is going back to his mum's and we won't see him for weeks, maybe months, and the rest of my family live just minutes away and we won't even see them for weeks. This is going to be hard for all of us - even those of us with a garden.

You take care of yourself, stay healthy and stay as mad as you always have been.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

ASLChris (24-03-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ASLChris View Post
    This morning I've gone up to work. I'm lucky that I can get in the car on the drive, get out the car at work, and not come into contact with anyone at all.

I can, and will, work from home. Today's trip is to clear away food empty the fridge, check everything is turned off and locked up etc.

As I understand it the exercise per day isn't limited in time duration in the UK... I realise this is going to be much harder though for peopl in flats in built up areas. It's about an hours walk each way to where I work so a trip to check the place may well be my daily exercise!

Also while non essential shops are closed they can still do mail order so will no doubt have some staff going in.

Was surprised to find a couple of non essential shops still open today driving through town. E.g. a shoe shop. I'm sure the police will visit them on their morning beat!

nele
    Thanks
    I realise there is lots of advice around but here are some tips. Try and set your self up with some type of schedule and things to do when not working so you are not just sitting watching corona updates and worrying. I have had some extended periods stuck mostly at home in the past due for health reasons and it is depressing. If you can focus on the time to do new things for example hobbies. I'm lucky because most of my hobbies outside scouting are home based (sewing, reading, family heritage research) Maybe start learning something you never had time for, or do some online scout training! My son is into board games and ordered a couple of new ones to play.
    We've all been picking up those unfinished projects and working on them. You can still order things online

Make sure you get outdoors for at least a short period each day... it is a real boost, I walked the dog today for about 30 minutes. Managed to take some pictures semi successfully due to dog pulling at inopportune moments, so our scouts have something to 'criticise' as part of their photography badge. I am not good at photography at the best of times! Our dog is a guide dog- hubby isn't leaving the house as he is high risk, so the dog is getting bored too as he isn't working like normal. When out for the walk smile and wave from a distance!

Our community has become far more active online, lots of people setting up social meetings, church bible studies, scouts etc over the internet. The technology doesn't always play ball, but everyone is doing their best and accepting the hiccups, because we all want contact. We have a pub quizz from home on Thursday.. no idea how that will go. I have heard from several friends and family members this week who I hadn't spoken to in ages. Make some effort to keep in touch by phone or online...

I hope it goes well for everyone.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmcmahon View Post
    From a crime point of view, the opportunities for the less socially minded in the country have now gone through the roof. All these businesses that have had to be abandoned will return to empty premises.
    Well, the crime prediction was right. We had a load of cars done over the weekend. Items taken included a Haynes manual and a foot spa from separate vehicles and abandoned streets away.

One elderly neighbour disturbed 2 adults in her back garden (she was safely inside and doors / windows were locked.

I almost caught 1 guy paying a lot of attention to my back garden. I had to unlock the gate and he was faster than me. Neighbour pursued and spotted him checking out other back gardens locally. Not sure whether he is a potential thief or was just checking for sun bathing persons......

Thanks
    Thanked 1,350 Times in 967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmcmahon View Post
    Well, the crime prediction was right. We had a load of cars done over the weekend. Items taken included a Haynes manual and a foot spa from separate vehicles and abandoned streets away.

One elderly neighbour disturbed 2 adults in her back garden (she was safely inside and doors / windows were locked.

I almost caught 1 guy paying a lot of attention to my back garden. I had to unlock the gate and he was faster than me. Neighbour pursued and spotted him checking out other back gardens locally. Not sure whether he is a potential thief or was just checking for sun bathing persons......
    Interesting.

There was a notice from the community facebook page about making sure cars were locked after a spate of thefts up our way too...