Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: Reflections on our first online Cub Meeting

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    463
    Thanks
    357
    Thanked 312 Times in 156 Posts

    Reflections on our first online Cub Meeting

    We ran our first online Cub meeting on Saturday morning. I have put together a few slides about how we got on.

    There are also a couple of videos linked from the slides that give an insight into what it is like to run a meeting on a Video Conference.

    It worked better than I thought it might and we are going to try again this Saturday.

    https://docs.google.com/presentation...f4e380d26_0_25


    We used Google Meet (comes free with Google Apps for Charities) - not perfect and tricky to control, even with only 8 Cubs. I am going to explore Zoom as that is the one that I have heard the best anecdotal reports about.

    All the best.

    Richard

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hippysurfer For This Useful Post:

    astwood7 (23-03-2020),pa_broon74 (23-03-2020)

  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    East Anglia
    Posts
    164
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 36 Times in 24 Posts
    I suspect Zoom are suffering from their own success right now.

    I had a zoom conference this afternoon and the experience was awful. We agreed to switch to Skype and the problems disappeared.

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    South Coast
    Posts
    2,496
    Thanks
    499
    Thanked 579 Times in 356 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garethhowell View Post
    I suspect Zoom are suffering from their own success right now.

    I had a zoom conference this afternoon and the experience was awful. We agreed to switch to Skype and the problems disappeared.
    Is Zoom limited to 40 minutes?

  5. #4
    GSL/ESL(YL)/TA Mark W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Aylburton, Glos
    Posts
    1,336
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 49 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RisingStar View Post
    Is Zoom limited to 40 minutes?
    Free version, but you can reconnect immediately and restore the meeting in 60secs
    If it was easy, it wouldn't be so much fun...
    GSL 1st Aylburton & Lydney, TA, ESL(YL), District Campsite Warden & webmanager .....only 1 hour a week, they said (not pointing out that was what was left)

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    463
    Thanks
    357
    Thanked 312 Times in 156 Posts
    We had our second Online Cub Meeting last night.

    Like a number of other groups, we ran a Virtual Group Camp. We challenged all of our Beavers, Cubs and Scouts to pitch a tent, or make a Den (indoors or outdoors) and post photos and videos on our closed Facebook Groups. To augment this, my Cub pack held a Video Chat (Google Meet) for an hour during which the Cubs built their Den's and showed each other the result.

    It was chaos! The audio on Goolge Meet was very flakey and the Cubs can not get the hang of not talking over each other all of the time. Some of the Cubs also realized that they could mute each others microphones! It was very difficult to control the session and challenging just to keep on top of everything that was going on. We only had 10 Cubs online.

    I finished the meeting thinking that it had gone badly and wondering if it was really worth doing. However, within 10 minutes I had multiple message from parents saying how much the Cubs had enjoyed it and how important it was that we keep doing it!

    Over all the Group Camp was quite successful. We had quite a few Beavers and Cubs, sleeping in their Dens indoors, and a few Scouts who braved the garden in their tents.

    I am going to look at Zoom, really to see if the better host controls might make managing the chat room more practical.

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    478
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 210 Times in 139 Posts
    Zoom is really really struggling - i'm sure they'll catch up, but at the moment the experience is terrible.

    My zoom meetings so far have all been 1:1 thankfully, so we've been able to switch to whatsapp or phone.

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    1,039
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 105 Times in 54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hippysurfer View Post
    We had our second Online Cub Meeting last night.

    Like a number of other groups, we ran a Virtual Group Camp. We challenged all of our Beavers, Cubs and Scouts to pitch a tent, or make a Den (indoors or outdoors) and post photos and videos on our closed Facebook Groups. To augment this, my Cub pack held a Video Chat (Google Meet) for an hour during which the Cubs built their Den's and showed each other the result.

    It was chaos! The audio on Goolge Meet was very flakey and the Cubs can not get the hang of not talking over each other all of the time. Some of the Cubs also realized that they could mute each others microphones! It was very difficult to control the session and challenging just to keep on top of everything that was going on. We only had 10 Cubs online.

    I finished the meeting thinking that it had gone badly and wondering if it was really worth doing. However, within 10 minutes I had multiple message from parents saying how much the Cubs had enjoyed it and how important it was that we keep doing it!

    Over all the Group Camp was quite successful. We had quite a few Beavers and Cubs, sleeping in their Dens indoors, and a few Scouts who braved the garden in their tents.

    I am going to look at Zoom, really to see if the better host controls might make managing the chat room more practical.

    Sounds familiar!
    I think that Cub age group are probably really struggling with the lack of social interaction - so any chance just to be in a "group" and chat with their friends is going to be popular. I'm trying a 15 minute "pre meeting" on Tuesday - an optional totally unstructured time when they can talk to one another, share screens, change backgrounds and just generally be "silly", with the request that once we start the meeting proper, they calm down a bit..... we can only hope........
    Kate, CSL (and GDB(S))
    1st Weald Brook Scout Group
    Brentwood, Essex
    www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk

  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    463
    Thanks
    357
    Thanked 312 Times in 156 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Beaver View Post
    Sounds familiar!
    I think that Cub age group are probably really struggling with the lack of social interaction - so any chance just to be in a "group" and chat with their friends is going to be popular. I'm trying a 15 minute "pre meeting" on Tuesday - an optional totally unstructured time when they can talk to one another, share screens, change backgrounds and just generally be "silly", with the request that once we start the meeting proper, they calm down a bit..... we can only hope........
    That sounds like a good plan. I might try that next week.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by campwarden View Post
    Zoom is really really struggling - i'm sure they'll catch up, but at the moment the experience is terrible.

    My zoom meetings so far have all been 1:1 thankfully, so we've been able to switch to whatsapp or phone.
    I had heard similar reports, which stopped me trying Zoom this week. But I have also heard good reports from some people too. I guess it might be partly what time of day. My Cub meeting are usually 10:30 on Saturday morning, hopefully that will not be a peak time for Zoom.

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    478
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 210 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hippysurfer View Post
    That sounds like a good plan. I might try that next week.

    - - - Updated - - -



    I had heard similar reports, which stopped me trying Zoom this week. But I have also heard good reports from some people too. I guess it might be partly what time of day. My Cub meeting are usually 10:30 on Saturday morning, hopefully that will not be a peak time for Zoom.
    You'll probably be ok then - if anything at the weekends its the more "domestic" systems like Skype that are going to struggle more as kids chat to Grandma. Zoom's peak time is always going to be during the "working day" (although another side effect we might see going forward, alongside more businesses using home working as the "norm", is an increase in flexible working and a decrease in the concept of "9-5".

    Whilst the virus itself, and the massive economic damage its doing are a huge cloud, there are plenty of silver linings waiting to be discovered i think.

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    465
    Thanks
    142
    Thanked 171 Times in 99 Posts
    I have used zoom extensively this this.

    Last Sunday we had an extended family virtual Sunday dinner. It meant I got to play.

    This week I had had at least one zoom call a day at work. Some days have been more on zoom that actually working.

    Plus we had our first Scout soon meeting.

    The only times it has fallen over is due to human error in our team. Zoom itself has been very stable.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #11
    ASL Kev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Hwicce
    Posts
    3,766
    Thanks
    374
    Thanked 749 Times in 547 Posts
    This is worth reading about Zoom: https://www.consumerreports.org/vide...vacy-concerns/

  13. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    463
    Thanks
    357
    Thanked 312 Times in 156 Posts
    If they are seriously interested in anything that Red Six has to say, I am worried about their business model.

  14. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    1,039
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 105 Times in 54 Posts
    Week 2.
    Slightly less chaotic, and the "pre meeting" worked reasonably well. If you think about it, before a normal pack night there's a bit of "general social activity" before Grand Howl is called.

    18 Cubs (out of 23), so clearly it's something they want to do. Although we asked them to wear their scarves, several turned up in full uniform.

    They were less enthusiastic about "life" this week - nobody had done anything they thought was remotely interesting ... although it was clear that they had done things, I think they were at the "it's not what I really wanted to do so it's a boring second best" stage. The novelty is wearing off!

    Most had prepared a "bingo card" and map symbol bingo was reasonably successful - and will stand repeating if necessary in a few weeks time. Those that hadn't prepared a card were referred to their parents who hadn't read (or had read but not acted on) the weekly email!

    We didn't set any particular "challenge" for the coming week - they would have viewed it as "boring" whatever it was, but we had given them a "challenge activity" booklet which we got out just before lockdown, so there are plenty of ideas in there once they decide they're ready to look at it!

    Next week is a "Chocolate" quiz - well it is Easter.

    We've decided to keep meeting through the "holidays" - they are clearly enjoying getting together and if it's meeting a need then that's good enough for the leadership team.
    Kate, CSL (and GDB(S))
    1st Weald Brook Scout Group
    Brentwood, Essex
    www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Yellow Beaver For This Useful Post:

    BigBadBaloo (01-04-2020)

  16. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,118
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 215 Times in 156 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by campwarden View Post
    Zoom is really really struggling - i'm sure they'll catch up, but at the moment the experience is terrible.

    My zoom meetings so far have all been 1:1 thankfully, so we've been able to switch to whatsapp or phone.
    There seems to be varying reports on this for zoom.

    From my experience on Thursday evening 30 of us used zoom perfectly well (with all mics off except the person talking) this was not a Scouting activity.

    I am also aware of a group of 20 friends used it yesterday afternoon in a similar manner and all worked fine.

    If all the mics are on you cannot tell what anyone is saying.

  17. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    478
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 210 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daveb123 View Post
    There seems to be varying reports on this for zoom.

    From my experience on Thursday evening 30 of us used zoom perfectly well (with all mics off except the person talking) this was not a Scouting activity.

    I am also aware of a group of 20 friends used it yesterday afternoon in a similar manner and all worked fine.

    If all the mics are on you cannot tell what anyone is saying.
    I assume they're catching up on demand... either with additional bandwidth, or a slight quality reduction

Similar Threads

  1. Reflections/ closings
    By etheltheaard in forum Scouting Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 17-10-2013, 10:05 PM
  2. Reflections for Area AGM
    By robinhood_2nd in forum Scouting Talk
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-08-2013, 10:09 PM
  3. Book of Reflections / Scouts Own
    By Graham_K in forum Scouting Talk
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-03-2011, 11:23 AM
  4. Reflections for GSL meeting
    By curtisuk in forum Scouting Talk
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 19-04-2010, 09:45 PM
  5. Reflections
    By Evil Akela in forum Scouting Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 20-11-2009, 01:27 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •