Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Scouting at home - pissing in the wind?

Thanks

Scouting at home - pissing in the wind?

Set up a Facebook group at the start of this coronavirus stoppage, e-mailed the parents etc, nothing.
    Set up Badges at home in OSM, emailed the parents asked for a little feedback ie a reply to the email, reminded them about the Facebook group - nothing
    Sent out a simple activity to try at home, plus a short reminder of the above, asked for a simple bit of feedback please let us know what you think about the above by emailing...) and again nothing

Beginning to wonder if its even worth the effort - was thinking of setting up a few more bits n bobs, but if the engagement/feedback is zero what's the point?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,529 Times in 1,540 Posts
    Have an onlime meeting, zoom or whatever.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I guess many have a lot more to worry about.

One of our ADC's has just closed his business having lost 50K on two orders and his rental income dropped to zero after his tenants moved out. He's been self isolating as he has asthma and arrythmia and has been told he'd be at big risk should he get the virus. His plans for retirement are off for several years. As he says Scouting is so far at the bottom of his priorities as to be insignificant and he'd likely blow if anyone suggested face to face that he should be supporting groups set up online scouting as the CC did in an email today.

There'll be plenty of parents and leaders in a similar state so I'm not surprised that not everyone is over the moon at the prospect of continuing Scouting from any anlte.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RisingStar For This Useful Post:

big chris (26-03-2020),BigBadBaloo (26-03-2020),dralphs (27-03-2020),pa_broon74 (26-03-2020),scoutgamer (27-03-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,373 Times in 1,483 Posts
    In the end, do what you feel you wish to do, be that something or be that nothing. Everyone is in a different position. I haven't actually gained much time as I'm still working remotely (IT) and am actually quite busy with work, so I haven't got extra time to be doing that sort of thing. I am however chucking any useful links at parents.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 1,021 Posts
    Yup.

I think a lot of people will be preoccupied with other things.

We thought about how we might approach this. We didn't (and don't) want to loose touch with the young folk (or their parents), and frankly, parents probably have enough on their plate to be getting on without us expecting them to filter through our stuff. So we just went down an entertainment/mildly scouty-educational route. Young folk can access it directly, but it's completely out in the open, we're not contacting the kids directly.

It's something diverting for everyone concerned, me included. We're posting weekly videos on our Facebook page. I'm now trying to get the young folk to contribute because I'm going to run out of things to do quite soon. (And who the hell wants to look at my ugly mug/listen to my plodding narrative until August...)

It did help that our Facebook page was already established. Heck, that's tough enough under normal circumstances. I'd persevere with the Facebook page, but don't stick to scout stuff, you can also share posts from other local pages or the community council etc. Eventually they'll start sharing your posts. Only other thing I'd suggest, is keep the tone of your posts light. People really appreciate that (I think...)

Thanks
    I think the schools and social media have overloaded many of us. Give it a week or two and people will be looking for something else.
    Jonathan Bloor
    Escouts Team
    Group Scout Leader - 4th Ashby de la Zouch

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bloory For This Useful Post:

boballan (29-03-2020),richardnhunt (27-03-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloory View Post
    I think the schools and social media have overloaded many of us. Give it a week or two and people will be looking for something else.
    I suspect many Scout-aged and explorer-aged kids are being set work to do at home by their teachers... with the nice weather they're probably out in the garden / out for walks during the day, and doing this work in the cooler evenings.

The "easter holidays" (almost a laughable concept at the moment) begin next friday - kids will probably be keen to have something to do.

Also - make it fun! "Badgework" is almost certainly not going to get much uptake at the moment. All the work kids have to do is "homework" type stuff, very few schools seem to be using technology to run interactive lessons, and of course there's none of the usual practical lessons or games lessons. Stuff like Minecraft Scout Meetings, or other sociable activities, is going to score pretty low.

If you're in an area with lots of keyworkers, dont forget parents are probably stressed and tired. Not just NHS workers, but workers throughout the food, haulage, care, utility and emergency service sectors are all run off their feet right now, working long shifts, trying to avoid contaminating their family homes with the virus, queuing to get into shops. Those not in the key sectors may not be at work but they're looking after their kids and potentially scraping around for some form of Income.

Thanks
    I restarted last night. I had 18 out of 23 scouts.

I pitched it as something different than school and something to enable them to talk to their friends.

We did baking biscuits or mug cakes. They all did something (although the Cub that had his first session with us appeared to stay glued to the screen yet produced some lovely biscuits. I suspect help was had!)

Having done a ring around I am much clearer on the amount of NHS parents or ones that are really struggling with work.

I did not want it to be stressful. I wanted it as a bit of stress relief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to claire.shadbolt For This Useful Post:

dralphs (27-03-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,306 Times in 866 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    Have an onlime meeting, zoom or whatever.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
    I suppose the trouble is how do you communicate with the parents to organise that if they dont respond to emails? Luckiy our members parents are pretty responsive, we have had a Facebook group for ages which gets reasonable response rates and we set up an (opt in) WhatsApp group for parents last year which is very good for getting immediate responses and generally they do red their emails even if they don't always respond to them

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Yes, I've got the T-shirt Sparkgap's Avatar
    Thanks
    One of our scouts has started a Youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGz...aurlsUJnLD3qBg
    Andy
    SL 1st Wellington
    www.wellingtonscouts.org

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sparkgap For This Useful Post:

nele (27-03-2020),pa_broon74 (27-03-2020)

Thanks
    And... thinking about it - why would you get stressed if the scouts and parents aren't interested in remote meeting within your group - even if successful elsewhere? Every group is different and in a different environment so what works in one area might fail in a different one. I've seen lots of good ideas on FB and next term the troop with which I am an ASL will meet fortnightly. However, I doubt very much that there is enough in what I've seen to sustain a term's programme even fortnightly without beginning to look remarkably like school work or become repetitive. As one parent pointed out they are occupying their children during this time with cooking cakes, biscuits and meals anyway and doing it with Scouts is not of interest on an individual basis.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 1,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    I suppose the trouble is how do you communicate with the parents to organise that if they dont respond to emails? Luckiy our members parents are pretty responsive, we have had a Facebook group for ages which gets reasonable response rates and we set up an (opt in) WhatsApp group for parents last year which is very good for getting immediate responses and generally they do red their emails even if they don't always respond to them
    Interestingly (or not)... For Explorers, we made a point of communicating directly with members. We deliberately did that, the idea being, to encourage a wee bit of independence from parents in the older members. That lasted for about six months and we ended up going through parents anyway. We still had a Facebook chat group, (it's still running). So if we needed to, we could all speak directly.

I know we've had scouts miss out on things (or turn up not knowing what we're going) because parents missed emails, or it turned into a game of Chinese whispers. (That said, we got no sense out of Explorers back in the day, they were terrible at replying and couldn't decide what they wanted to do anyway - they seemed to always need parents to decide for them, which was a bit disappointing.)

We all know why it is that way, but it is a pain at times.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    Interestingly (or not)... For Explorers, we made a point of communicating directly with members. We deliberately did that, the idea being, to encourage a wee bit of independence from parents in the older members. That lasted for about six months and we ended up going through parents anyway.
    We used to do the same I would email Explorers and CC in their parents but the email was addressed to the Explorers. These days so few check their emails it would be a pointless exercises unfortunately. We also used to use facebook as a good way to communicate with Explorers but most of them barely use facebook these days, they are on Insta, Snapchat and whatever the latest social media craze is.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    Interestingly (or not)... For Explorers, we made a point of communicating directly with members. We deliberately did that, the idea being, to encourage a wee bit of independence from parents in the older members. That lasted for about six months and we ended up going through parents anyway. We still had a Facebook chat group, (it's still running). So if we needed to, we could all speak directly.

I know we've had scouts miss out on things (or turn up not knowing what we're going) because parents missed emails, or it turned into a game of Chinese whispers. (That said, we got no sense out of Explorers back in the day, they were terrible at replying and couldn't decide what they wanted to do anyway - they seemed to always need parents to decide for them, which was a bit disappointing.)

We all know why it is that way, but it is a pain at times.
    We had to very specifically request that communication to explorers was copied to parents after a couple of issues, I believe that is now national guidance though I might be wrong. The point is that what would you ever say to explorers that you wouldn't say to their parents ? Obviously nothing and therefore there is no real disadvantage to copying parents.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RisingStar View Post
    We had to very specifically request that communication to explorers was copied to parents after a couple of issues, I believe that is now national guidance though I might be wrong. The point is that what would you ever say to explorers that you wouldn't say to their parents ? Obviously nothing and therefore there is no real disadvantage to copying parents.
    The point isn't whether you include the parents in the communiction or not (which I entirely agree is sensible to do) its whether you are addressing the Explorers and expecting them to reply to messages themselves rather than their parents having to do it. We are supposed to be helping them become responsible adults and part of that is taking control of your own life and what you are and are not doing when.

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

www.leeds-solar.co.uk

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shiftypete For This Useful Post:

campwarden (28-03-2020),RisingStar (27-03-2020)