Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: STATEMENT ON THE SHENINGTON 24 HOUR PEDALCAR RACE - JUNE 27th - 28th 2020

Thanks

STATEMENT ON THE SHENINGTON 24 HOUR PEDALCAR RACE - JUNE 27th - 28th 2020

Morning

i'm on the committee for organising the pedalcar races (think Scoutcars but a 6 round championship), we put out the statement below this morning. Still hoping to start the Season in June after having to cancel the first two rounds. Fingers crossed its possible.

BRITISH FEDERATION OF PEDAL CAR RACING

STATEMENT ON THE SHENINGTON 24 HOUR PEDALCAR RACE - JUNE 27th - 28th 2020

The committee are keeping a close eye on the current situation.

They are working hard to find a way back to racing as soon as the current, and necessary, restrictions on daily life are relaxed to the extent where this is possible.

Currently, we are very much intending to run the 24 hours of Shenington on it's scheduled weekend of June 27th - 28th and we are liaising with the circuit to this end.

However, the situation is still developing.

Therefore the position on this event will be reviewed during the 1st week of May.

In the mean time, it would greatly help future planning if you can make your intention to enter this event known via the link below (do not post this as a comment on this thread, that is not going to be registered or even remotely helpful!).

The entry deadline will be set once we have a better idea as to how to take the event forwards.

In the next few weeks there will also be a statement as to how we may expect to resume the British Pedal Car Championship which the committee are also working on at present.

http://pedalcarracing.info/sheningto...n-of-interest/
    Dave Ralphs
    Yarnton Scout Group (Treasurer)
    DofE Advisor & District Exec Member - Oxford Spires District
    http://yarntonscouts.org.uk/

I work for O2, any posts are my own personal views & do not represent O2

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dralphs For This Useful Post:

Richard T (31-03-2020)

Thanks
    Whether that's overly optimistic remains to be seen but it is great to see event organisers who are still pushing for summer 2020 events

A lot of event suppliers want the work at the moment so will be prepared to take non deposit provisional bookings for June, so that there is work for them if it becomes possible to work.

Thanks
    We hope its not optimistic, luckily we don't have huge upfront costs, mainly just the track hire since teams bring everything else that they need, so we can afford to wait a bit longer.

If june is impossible depending on circuit availability we'll try to move into July or August.
    Dave Ralphs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dralphs View Post
    We hope its not optimistic, luckily we don't have huge upfront costs, mainly just the track hire since teams bring everything else that they need, so we can afford to wait a bit longer.

If june is impossible depending on circuit availability we'll try to move into July or August.
    I hope so too. We are taking June event bookings but we have no idea whether they will go ahead. I've just got off the phone to a showground who are still cutting their fields in anticipation of a 1st July event. I think it's important people plan ready for things to get going as soon as permission is given to avoid an unnecessary lull

6. The Following User Says Thank You to campwarden For This Useful Post:

dralphs (01-04-2020)

Thanks
    Great to see some events still on the planning table, so far its been nothing but cancelled, cancelled, doom and gloom.
    The current pandemic wont last forever- and while its understandable some of the larger (scout) events such as Peak and Essex international have had to pull the plug, as well as other large (music) festivals such as Galstonbury and Download due to large upfront costs - some of the other events can hopefully hold on to a little bit of hope a little longer.
    a lot has changed in the last week or so and things have deteriorated rapidly - if everyone keeps apart, follows advice then maybe, just maybe we could see a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard T For This Useful Post:

dralphs (01-04-2020)

Thanks
    I think it's nice to see some optimism.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SteveF For This Useful Post:

dralphs (01-04-2020)

Thanks
    Well we were optimistic but with no apparent movement from TSA and with most motorsport not resuming until July we have had to make the decision to postpone the race either to later in the year or to 2021

see https://www.facebook.com/notes/briti...3027064241096/ for full announcement
    Dave Ralphs

Thanks
    Well we were optimistic but with no apparent movement from TSA and with most motorsport not resuming until July we have had to make the decision to postpone the race either to later in the year or to 2021

see https://www.facebook.com/notes/briti...3027064241096/ for full announcement
    I dont really think TSA could move anywhere even if they wanted...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,401 Times in 1,852 Posts
    There are lots of events planned but unless we can discard social distancing they all have that one big problem to overcome.

What may happen, and from the news this weekend what is happening, is that people are just ignoring the situation. I was bemused by the family inerviewed on some Dorset bach. The daughter thinks there will be a second round of the pandemic. The mother is complaining that so many people have come to the beach ( they drove an hour and a half to) and that it really annoys her that they are not social distancing. The irony of it - she contributes to the problem but complains, because, "She is doing no harm."
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

dralphs (18-05-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    There are lots of events planned but unless we can discard social distancing they all have that one big problem to overcome.

What may happen, and from the news this weekend what is happening, is that people are just ignoring the situation. I was bemused by the family inerviewed on some Dorset bach. The daughter thinks there will be a second round of the pandemic. The mother is complaining that so many people have come to the beach ( they drove an hour and a half to) and that it really annoys her that they are not social distancing. The irony of it - she contributes to the problem but complains, because, "She is doing no harm."
    It's hard to blame people for driving to the beach when our illustrious leader specifically said they could.

You know I'm fairly "anti-lockdown" but even to me that was stupid.

Even worse are councils that assumed by keeping car parks closed people would stay away. No... they just found increasingly stupid places to park.

It's great that outdoor sports facilities and non-team sports clubs can reopen... because they will manage access and use of their facilities and that can generally be done in a way that's low risk. But telling the public "you can drive to the beach" was just crazy.

As for your "doing no harm" I'm afraid I still disagree with you. If you arrive somewhere and can space yourself in a way that complies with social distancing then that's fine... if others come later and there isn't space then they are the ones who need to go elsewhere.

We had plenty of walkers over the weekend who did no harm at all... they parked sensibly, walked in a way that was socially distanced, had quiet picnics, and queued sensibly and in a socially distanced way for takeaway coffees and ice creams. A great example of how this could work medium term going forward.

Sadly there were other idiots who ignored the rules. They're the ones doing harm.

Thanks
    We really had 4 issues

Half the teams are Scout or Guide so we have lost them as no movement on face-2-face from either HQ
    Can't currently transport anyone in your car apart from family or a work colleague if going to work, so difficult to get teams to site unless they all drive (under 17's don't)
    Camping. It isn't a campsite per se but we do camp overnight which currently still seems to be banned.
    And then the elephant in the room (at 2M distance of course). SD a real pain. We can move each pit over 2M apart but difficult for each pit as due to space they get 3M width per car (depth varies between 3M and 5M). Then of course the car is shared equipment which aparently is a no no.

Can we just skip to 2021 please or turn 2020 off and back on again to see if it fixes it
    Dave Ralphs

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by campwarden View Post
    As for your "doing no harm" I'm afraid I still disagree with you. If you arrive somewhere and can space yourself in a way that complies with social distancing then that's fine... if others come later and there isn't space then they are the ones who need to go elsewhere.
    I saw the same news report as Bushy, I think most viewers would have been sat at home going "hang on a minute luv, you've just driven 90 minutes to the beach!" - she IS part of the problem. Deciding to go to what's bound to be a popular beach, then they cut away to them all traipsing up and down the single path down the cliff to the beach...no social distancing getting from car park to beach.

Anyway, let's not have another thread on the rights and wrongs of lockdown. Sorry to hear about your event getting canned dralphs, it's just crap isn't it?
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

dralphs (18-05-2020)

Thanks
    .....Camping. It isn't a campsite per se but we do camp overnight which currently still seems to be banned.
    And then the elephant in the room (at 2M distance of course). SD a real pain. We can move each pit over 2M apart but difficult for each pit as due to space they get 3M width per car (depth varies between 3M and 5M). Then of course the car is shared equipment which aparently is a no no.

Can we just skip to 2021 please or turn 2020 off and back on again to see if it fixes it
    Genuinely surprised that anyone thinks that children sharing tents overnight - or dorms - will be acceptable for the foreseeable future.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RisingStar View Post
    Genuinely surprised that anyone thinks that children sharing tents overnight - or dorms - will be acceptable for the foreseeable future.
    As organisers we would let the teams decide but expect it would have to be one person per tent unless same family.
    Dave Ralphs

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RisingStar View Post
    Hammock Camping...your time is now....
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

Glue (18-05-2020),pa_broon74 (18-05-2020)