Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HQ get into bed with OSM

Thanks

HQ get into bed with OSM

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Rush For This Useful Post:

big chris (07-04-2020),Neil Williams (07-04-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,575 Posts
    Took them long enough!

Thanks
    Note that it's still optional and HQ aren't paying for it.

Thanks
    OSM's announcement here https://www.onlineyouthmanager.co.uk.../07/scouts-uk/

Lets hope that this signals the end of Compass
    Dave Ralphs
    Yarnton Scout Group (Treasurer)
    DofE Advisor & District Exec Member - Oxford Spires District
    http://yarntonscouts.org.uk/

I work for O2, any posts are my own personal views & do not represent O2

Thanks
    I think HQ wanted to call the shots, but this is a recognition that HQ doesn't have any money and has very little say. The control is very much with OSM and they are not going to dance to HQ's tune.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,555 Times in 1,464 Posts
    I'm hereby predicting that very little will come from this.

HQ *might* get some stats.
    HQ *might* get some census data.
    Maybe there might be some automation of NAN forms.
    OSM *might* get pre-warned of badge changes so can roll them out immediately.
    Compass will stay.

Maybe I've got a cynical head on today, but it feels like a woolly and hollow announcement.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

big chris (08-04-2020),boballan (08-04-2020),Dave1964 (13-04-2020),Kastor (09-04-2020),khoomei (08-04-2020),richardnhunt (09-04-2020),scoutgamer (11-04-2020),shiftypete (08-04-2020),tonybaulch (13-04-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,155 Posts
    I might posit a theory...

I think HQ has been pressured into this by district/county/area people. Leaders (who use it anyway) have been saying it should be adopted for a while, to no avail. Our district just bought licences for us all on the basis that they get limited access to stats and census data.

What does that suggest to me? That HQ listen to district/county/area people a lot more than they listen to leaders. I'm prepared however, to accept that district/county/area people passed this on from leaders. That said, HQ still only listened to the former, and not the latter.

It's just a theory mind...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

johnmcmahon (09-04-2020),Trevor Yeoman (23-04-2020)

Thanks
    The CCs certainly have a LOT of influence.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,653 Times in 1,593 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khoomei View Post
    I think HQ wanted to call the shots, but this is a recognition that HQ doesn't have any money and has very little say. The control is very much with OSM and they are not going to dance to HQ's tune.
    back of a fag packet maths suggest that OSM has an awful lot of money, agreed

13. The Following User Says Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

BigBadBaloo (08-04-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    back of a fag packet maths suggest that OSM has an awful lot of money, agreed
    The accounts filed at Companies House, (all be it only limited information because they only have to file what are known as "Total exemption full accounts" and for the complete Online Youth Manager business) would certainly suggest that they are not short of a bob or two!
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.Ě Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    I'm hereby predicting that very little will come from this.

HQ *might* get some stats.
    HQ *might* get some census data.
    Maybe there might be some automation of NAN forms.
    OSM *might* get pre-warned of badge changes so can roll them out immediately.
    Compass will stay.

Maybe I've got a cynical head on today, but it feels like a woolly and hollow announcement.
    There is going to be a financial effect of the Covid19 lockdown (closure of all the Scout Adventures sites for 4+? months etc) and this might make HQ more amenable to common sense - they should done a deal with OSM a long time ago, but they did not; which tells me a lot about their priorities.
    ďA week of camp life is worth six months of theoretical teaching in the meeting room.Ē Baden-Powell

Thanks
    Compass does entirely different things to OSM and I imagine will remain separate for the foreseeable. After all how could OSM compete with a solution developed specifically for adult management, which cost millions to develop and is given away free of charge. It wouldn't be wroth the effort.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by johnL View Post
    There is going to be a financial effect of the Covid19 lockdown (closure of all the Scout Adventures sites for 4+? months etc) and this might make HQ more amenable to common sense - they should done a deal with OSM a long time ago, but they did not; which tells me a lot about their priorities.
    Actually why would they bother? We have 2 districts locally which fund OSM for every section in their districts. About half of them take it up. In our district those sections which want OSM pay for it themselves, if HQ funded it they would have to increase capitation to fund it as they are short of money, punishing all those sections who don't want to use it. Of course you could encourage its use with a big stick, but I can's see it being worth the effort.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RisingStar View Post
    Compass does entirely different things to OSM and I imagine will remain separate for the foreseeable. After all how could OSM compete with a solution developed specifically for adult management, which cost millions to develop and is given away free of charge. It wouldn't be wroth the effort.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually why would they bother? We have 2 districts locally which fund OSM for every section in their districts. About half of them take it up. In our district those sections which want OSM pay for it themselves, if HQ funded it they would have to increase capitation to fund it as they are short of money, punishing all those sections who don't want to use it. Of course you could encourage its use with a big stick, but I can's see it being worth the effort.
    The team behind osm clearly have the capability and the knowhow to develop database systems. I believe they run the adult data for other countries? They could probably have delivered compass for a lot less than the compass team did, not least because they already had the youth data function that tsa presumably paid for and didn't get in any usable form.

I've long said if TSA is going to remain a membership organisation they should have a membership database. That said I'd much rather see tsa become more of a franchising organisation with individuals being members of the groups as individual charities.

Thanks
    They should have approached Guiding and bought options to use GO!, that has YP & Adults and whilst it isn't perfect its better than compass
    Dave Ralphs
    Yarnton Scout Group (Treasurer)
    DofE Advisor & District Exec Member - Oxford Spires District
    http://yarntonscouts.org.uk/

I work for O2, any posts are my own personal views & do not represent O2

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dralphs View Post
    They should have approached Guiding and bought options to use GO!, that has YP & Adults and whilst it isn't perfect its better than compass
    GO is rubbish compared with OSM. No badge functionality, for instance.