Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: New NAN form with requirement for written risk assessment

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 892 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mang21 View Post
    Even if you aren't a registered charity I believe you have to supply a copy of you accounts if requested to do so (England) so being an excepted charity doesn't get you out of that. Of course fewer people will bother, but then again the one I know of that have a rather large gap in were submitted to the charity commission.
    Possibly technically so (I have no idea if this is the case or not) but in my 20 years on our Group Exec our accounts have never been requested by the Charity Commission so if it is true that would not have been any oversight on our Group's accounts for the last 20+ years, whereas sending them to the District Tresurer annually is at least some external check.
    Last edited by shiftypete; 14-04-2020 at 09:45 AM.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL
    2002 - 2018 AESL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    So...

What is the district or region/area in terms of legal entity? Are they charities in their own right, or do they come under some other arrangement?
    My district is a charity and registered with OSCR in Scotland.
    I'm pretty sure our Region is also a charity and registered with OSCR.

Neil

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bellshillscouts For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (14-04-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dralphs View Post
    I think the biggest problem HQ & County/District face is getting the message out to everyone at the sharp end.

We on here are probably better than most at reading HQ emails & POR and acting on them. New Leaders and those undergoing training will at least get pointed towards it and hopefully given the correct information. The biggest challenge is the older hands who often don't get or don't read the emails or have GSL's who don't pass them on, or just don't bother.
    How do we reach them?
    Funnily enough, I didn't read the email particularly well cos I didn't click the links. It was only when I came on here that I found out.
    My plan is to send an email to the GSLs in the District plus one to all of the NAP holders directly to point out the new form.
    It's not perfect but at least it'll help get the message out there.

Neil

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bellshillscouts For This Useful Post:

dralphs (13-04-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,550 Times in 1,099 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bellshillscouts View Post
    My district is a charity and registered with OSCR in Scotland.
    I'm pretty sure our Region is also a charity and registered with OSCR.

Neil
    Aye, pretty sure we're the same here.

I have no idea what our district does money-wise, or how much of it they have.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    Aye, pretty sure we're the same here.

I have no idea what our district does money-wise, or how much of it they have.
    I think our District is quite fortunate money-wise cos we don't have a District campsite or equipment or hall or anything substantial that we need to pay for.
    We used to have a training fund that paid for adult training modules. Initially the fund was created using a donation from the Freemasons and when it ran out, the fund was supported using District funds.

The main income we get comes from the District levy and we still get a handful of patron donations.
    The District runs events throughout the year for all sections and we now try to make sure we are covering costs as much as possible.

I think, if you wanted to know how much money the District had, or how well prepared they were, you could simply ask.

Neil

Thanks
    Thanked 1,550 Times in 1,099 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bellshillscouts View Post
    I think our District is quite fortunate money-wise cos we don't have a District campsite or equipment or hall or anything substantial that we need to pay for.
    We used to have a training fund that paid for adult training modules. Initially the fund was created using a donation from the Freemasons and when it ran out, the fund was supported using District funds.

The main income we get comes from the District levy and we still get a handful of patron donations.
    The District runs events throughout the year for all sections and we now try to make sure we are covering costs as much as possible.

I think, if you wanted to know how much money the District had, or how well prepared they were, you could simply ask.

Neil
    I think they're quite open about it, but I'm not interested to be honest.

Our district is rebuilding just now, but I am aware that I don't necessarily engage with it that often anyway. Although it is changing just now a fair bit, so we do have more contact.

Thanks
    I don't know if I missed another update in an email but they have updated the NAN Form again:
    https://members.scouts.org.uk/formnan

They've fixed the spelling mistakes from the April update and there's a slight wording change.
    Risk Assessments is the way we're going for everything, that hasn't changed here unfortunately.

Neil

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bellshillscouts For This Useful Post:

London Scouter (10-07-2020)

nele
    Thanks
    I am normally quite conscientious about reading the info and passing it on, but hadn't spotted this new NAN form until reading the thread here. Mind you we weren't really looking at NA's since the start of lockdown since early March.

More and more I'm looking at the possibility of leaving TSA... We're trying to restart activities- have been asking to start on July 1st like other local scouts. These would be extra outdoor meetings over the summer as we never have school access in the holidays. We would meet in the local park where we regularly meet throughout the year, for 1 or 2 hours depending on age. (park is 2.5 km long and 1 km wide) It doesn't have public toilets, but there is forest with lots of trees. Apparently telling kids to use the facilities before they leave home (as usual) because there are no toilets is unacceptable. We have to plan in a toilet visit and make sure the toilet is cleaned following covid guidelines. The only toilets in the area which the public can use are in cafés- if you buy something. Most places don't have public Wc's here. So we have to walk around 1 km to the nearest café, ensure it is following covid cleaning guidelines, buy drinks using a bank card because they don't accept cash, then wipe down the toilets, make sure the YP are socially distancing and then go back to the activity. Apparently the idea that kids might possibly not need the toilet during a meeting (most don't when in the hall) especially in the park, which never happened in 20 years (unless they discretely used a tree) is all wrong. I wonder what these leaders do? Do they never go hillwalking?

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nele For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (10-07-2020),scoutgamer (17-07-2020),shiftypete (10-07-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nele View Post
    I am normally quite conscientious about reading the info and passing it on, but hadn't spotted this new NAN form until reading the thread here. Mind you we weren't really looking at NA's since the start of lockdown since early March.

More and more I'm looking at the possibility of leaving TSA... We're trying to restart activities- have been asking to start on July 1st like other local scouts. These would be extra outdoor meetings over the summer as we never have school access in the holidays. We would meet in the local park where we regularly meet throughout the year, for 1 or 2 hours depending on age. (park is 2.5 km long and 1 km wide) It doesn't have public toilets, but there is forest with lots of trees. Apparently telling kids to use the facilities before they leave home (as usual) because there are no toilets is unacceptable. We have to plan in a toilet visit and make sure the toilet is cleaned following covid guidelines. The only toilets in the area which the public can use are in cafés- if you buy something. Most places don't have public Wc's here. So we have to walk around 1 km to the nearest café, ensure it is following covid cleaning guidelines, buy drinks using a bank card because they don't accept cash, then wipe down the toilets, make sure the YP are socially distancing and then go back to the activity. Apparently the idea that kids might possibly not need the toilet during a meeting (most don't when in the hall) especially in the park, which never happened in 20 years (unless they discretely used a tree) is all wrong. I wonder what these leaders do? Do they never go hillwalking?
    This process is really showing up the difference between good and poor DCs