Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Virtual Meeting Ideas

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RisingStar View Post
    I'm a little conflicted on online scouting, the troop I'm helping with are about to start a fortnightly meeting by zoom, we're planning an hour or so. We asked parents and members about vritual camps and got a widespread "Nah - why would be bother", nevertheless we're taking the best ideas from the web and planning a few meetings. More widely, locally, a few Cubs and Beavers are celebrating their success in Zoom (see below), but Scouts and Explorers very little interest - both groups are doing school work online and seem to have any number of ways of interacting with their friends and peer group and don't need Scouting to do that.

Then there's the apparently very successful zoom meeting with my local village group, "We had 18 out of 24 Cubs, they loved it", only talking to two of the parents of the children who attend they had to be pushed really hard to join, complained it was just like school, babyish, and they're cooking at home anyway don't need to do it with Scouts. So I'm doubting the long term success of Zoom meetings and really really doubt they can sustain until Christmas - we're a movement that thrives on outdoor skills, teamworks, physical skills which are hard to teach remotely.
    We were concerned about the young people being pushed or it being too like virtual school.

The number of YP has stayed pretty constant and having talked to the YP (we have met a few when we have been taking exercise) they are all enjoying it and taking part because they want to. The parents are also very appreciative and report it being a highlight for the YP.

Last weekend was meant to be our Group Camp (on the theme of Christmas) and we encouraged them to make dens, camp in the garden, wear Christmas jumpers, have Christmas lunch, etc. and if you look in the photos on our website you will see lots of them took part.

We are more worried about the leaders not finding virtual rewarding and the challenge of finding Scouting activities to include.
    John Alexander,
    ASL and Assistant Webmaster
    1st Weald Brook
    http://www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk

Thanks
    Thanked 3,594 Times in 1,570 Posts
    As a parent of 9 year old i can confirm that cubs is the absolute highlight of his week. even when it goes wrong like it did last week and akela had to improvise for half an hour with a scvenger hunt. he is happy seeing akela and his mates.

this week akela has devised a coded treasure hunt and i need to hide some clues around the house. (i've not read it properly yet). But he is counting the days and hours until cubs.

Scouts? we had two thirds again last night. they make noises that suggest they are having fun... they seem to be smiling. We are doing our best to do fun stuff with them but it is not real scouting... it is still way better than nothing. I also look forward to it each week. It is a break fgorm the horrible grind of constant parenting while between us we try to hold down a full time and a part time 9-5 job. It is frankly pretty sh*t and scouting for an hour on zoom is a real break from that for me too

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (05-05-2020),shiftypete (05-05-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 1,084 Posts
    Our experience and feedback so far...

We've had three or four Zoom meetings, the first was well attended, but it has tailed off slightly after that. We don't have any structure, so no planned activities. It's purely an opportunity to chat and catch up. That said, it's ran as a drop-in session, kids can come and go as they like. If they want to chat to specific pals, then I open other rooms.

Feedback from parents has been 100% positive. Purely as an opportunity to see each other (minus the distractions they have during gaming session), they've said is positive and welcomed.

We decided not to make them like Scout nights. I mute everyone at the beginning and give out some notices, we have stuff still going on I can tell them about. (We also have the weekly videos I'm doing which is something to blether about.) We don't have an end time, they just drift off as and when they please.

Sometimes I think we might complicate things unnecessarily. It doesn't need to be 'scouty', it can just be social. A lot of our Scouts are already doing structured Zoom meetings (or TEAMS, urrgh) with school. They may not necessarily want more of the same.

*Edit* Also what Chris said about what leaders get out of it. Scouts was always important, obviously I enjoy it. But the current situation has rather underlined how much I miss spending time with the young folk. I live on my own and don't go to the pub, so after work, Scouts is my main vehicle for social contact. Many other volunteers are pals, and spending time with the kids is important. I get a fair bit out of the Zoom meetings too. (Although I don't really understand anything they're talking about.) /edit
    Last edited by pa_broon74; 05-05-2020 at 10:08 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

big chris (05-05-2020),RisingStar (05-05-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    Our experience and feedback so far...

We've had three or four Zoom meetings, the first was well attended, but it has tailed off slightly after that. We don't have any structure, so no planned activities. It's purely an opportunity to chat and catch up. That said, it's ran as a drop-in session, kids can come and go as they like. If they want to chat to specific pals, then I open other rooms....
    Thanks, that's sensible. Listening to some eulogise about Zoom meetings you wonder why they'd ever go back to face to face meetings ! I do know one leader who is in his 80's now, and is phoning every member of the troop every week to check they're OK, setting them badge and challenge work and keeping in touch. Every single member of the troop is taking part - which maybe shows you don't need the tech or face to face visibility.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RisingStar For This Useful Post:

big chris (05-05-2020)

Thanks
    For all Cub leaders - I thoroughly recommend this virtual Escape Room from 2nd Wellington Scouts
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...2nUzg/viewform

We played it last night, Zoom breakout rooms with a leader in each screen sharing. One of the best Zoom meetings we've had according to the Cubs.
    Took between 45/75 mins for each team to "Escape"
    Kate, CSL (and GDB(S))
    1st Weald Brook Scout Group
    Brentwood, Essex
    www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,451 Posts
    If no one has mentioned it yet, and you're on that facebook, 1st virtual facebook group is top banana

No bitching. No arguments. No slagging off. No general moaning. Just loads of help, ideas and documents and "programmes on a plate". Good stuff.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

big chris (21-05-2020),dsheehan (21-05-2020),shiftypete (21-05-2020),Simon.md (21-05-2020)

Thanks
    Yes I've found that fb group quite good.
    We did mug doughnuts in the microwave with the Scouts last week. Had visions of chaos trying to get them all cooking together but it actually went pretty well, they all managed to follow on. We sent out the recipe in advance so they could make sure they had the ingredients ready. Some had parents there helping others were left to their own devices but all seemed to enjoy it. Think we need to do a session on healthy eating now after seeing how much sugar went into the recipe!!

Thanks
    I would appreciate some suggestions please - being of an older age I am not up to date with what young people read and watch.

We are planning "Give us a clue" for this week on Zoom so I need some suggestions of films, television programmes or books that Scout age would be familiar with and would be able to mime to the others.

Over to you!
    John Alexander,
    1st Weald Brook

Thanks
    We have 2 cub packs in our group and both packs have now completed 5 online sessions using Zoom. Neither of the two of us cub leaders had used Zoom before so it was a new experience. I have had around 50% "attendance" on average, with the other pack doing a bit better. Around two thirds of my cubs have attended at least once. Two or three of the cubs won't come online and, more worryingly, two have not responded at all to emails. My feelings are that the cubs have enjoyed the sessions and parents have been encouraging. We've kept them to about 30 minutes per session with 6 or 7 short activities. All the activities have been participative and we haven't tried to do anything where they just have to listen to me all the time. We've done short quizzes (with multiple choice questions where the cubs have to hold up an A or a B for example), scavenger hunts, short physical challenges. It has also been helped by a District initiative with a list of 100 challenges, which some of the cubs have adopted with enthusiasm (which they probably wouldn't have done normally). The cubs have been invited to keep a paper or online scrapbook and submit it later in the year in a competition. We've provided all the cubs with a scrapbook, kindly donated by the local post office.

We've done the Chef Badge over 4 weeks. We've tackled one of the more theoretical requirements each week. Rather than talk to them about it, I've written something for them to read or record and emailed it a few days before the meeting and then done a short quiz on it on the night. I haven't been too fussed about the answers. The main thing though is that they also needed to cook a 2-course meal at home. Most (but not all) have done this and their parents have emailed pics as evidence. With regard to another thread, some of them have been camping in the back garden or in tents or dens built indoors, and we will credit them nights away for this. I think the most important thing from my experience is to keep them as occupied as possible with a limit of about 30 minutes and to keep the activities short and simple. Overall, it is about keeping them in contact and involved as I think things will be difficult as we try to return to normal and I am certain some of them may never return.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wealdbrook View Post
    I would appreciate some suggestions please - being of an older age I am not up to date with what young people read and watch.

We are planning "Give us a clue" for this week on Zoom so I need some suggestions of films, television programmes or books that Scout age would be familiar with and would be able to mime to the others.

Over to you!
    I've discovered, it doesn't really matter how much research you do or what kid you ask for suggestions - you'll still get sighed at. (I'm prepared to accept that also may just be me.)

I tend towards just thinking things up that I think might work and going for ironic. Mostly what I get from them if they don't approve, is pity, which I can handle.

A structured Zoom meeting for scouts however is definitely better.

I did a quiz last week and invited parents to join with their kid.

Four rounds of five questions. (General knowledge, questions on the videos I've been doing (some of my scouts haven't been watching, cheeky*) Scouty questions and an 'impossible' quiz, where they kind of just have to make there best guess at the answer. example question = how many bins are there in the local hospital. (I know because I counted them while working there...)

In between those rounds, we had a picture round - cropped images of Scottish landmarks. I found some pictures of me at different stages of my youth/adult life and asked them to identify the year they were taken. And a 'leader's lies' round, where we each gave two statement which could either be true or false - kids had to guess.

Worked quite well.

Ours are very passive, they don't want to do anything too participatory. So treasure hunts etc are out. Googling kids TV and quiz shows has been useful however, some of the oldies are do-able...

* Just been in the Coop however and bumped into a Dad who was telling the shop staff about them, so it's swings and roundabouts.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

Bushfella (26-05-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,401 Times in 1,852 Posts
    Had three out of five take part in last week's Zoom meeting, should have five this week, Opened it up to others but had no takers.

Only one of those who took part has done anything about the challenge set them.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,339 Times in 890 Posts
    There is only 1 of our Explorers that has not taken part in at least one of our virtual meetings so far. Most are on every week, some have only done one or two. Feedback is they are all bored and welcome a bit of sociallising and entertainment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    I've discovered, it doesn't really matter how much research you do or what kid you ask for suggestions - you'll still get sighed at. (I'm prepared to accept that also may just be me.)

I tend towards just thinking things up that I think might work and going for ironic.
    I have started making a joke of it of I miss the mark with something I think will be a relatively up to date cultural reference and explaining it is because I am so old. To be fair I am now 18 years older than one of my AESL so its almost true lol

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL
    2002 - 2018 AESL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    Had three out of five take part in last week's Zoom meeting, should have five this week, Opened it up to others but had no takers.

Only one of those who took part has done anything about the challenge set them.
    60% is more than your cup half full! It may seem like hard work but it is worthwhile.
    John Alexander,
    1st Weald Brook

Thanks
    Thanked 3,401 Times in 1,852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wealdbrook View Post
    60% is more than your cup half full! It may seem like hard work but it is worthwhile.

Should have 20, or 40 if I include the Juniors.

There is nothing worse than playing to a non-responsive audience.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned this... But it's a good idea to allocate time for the young folk to just chat. Just let them do what they want for 20 minutes or so. Share screens, chat, do the whiteboard thing...

That's all.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (27-05-2020)