Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Virtual Meeting Ideas

nele
    Thanks
    Both our scout troops and our Explorer unit enjoyed the Hogwarts escape room (separately) Small teams in separate zoom rooms worked for larger numbers https://www.saintmichaelsscouts.org.uk/escape/index.php (free)

cubs enjoyed the codebreakers.uk activities ( activities for digital badges, they ask for a donation)
    https://www.facebook.com/drummingscooldrummingschool/ ( to pay)
    nb We have money for a few paid activities as already collected annual fees, and most sections hadn't used their budget up before F2F activities stopped. We also haven't needed to buy any replacement equipment which was in the budget or pay rent for the meeting place.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nele For This Useful Post:

ianw (01-06-2020),pa_broon74 (12-06-2020)

Thanks
    We have done with scouts the Saint Michaels Hogwarts escape room - that was good - did it last week when even though it was half term, we had about a third of the group turn up.

We have done the "This is 'bob' and he is..." round from Would I lie to You, only the scouts get to do it with some item from home - could be a cuddly toy, an antique, anything. Doesn't take long and you can do one or two each meeting.

I invented a game for last night which was... interesting: split the troop into two (or more, but it doesn't really matter if you have big teams), nominate a leader (who can type reasonably quickly), mute the other team, and give the first team 5 minutes to list in the chat as many animals as they can. The only rule is that they must be in alphabetical order of their first letter. So if they go antelope bear dog cat , then cat doesn't count. They can list as many animals having the same first letter as they like (in any order).

The second team can listen but when it's their go, they don't get any points for animals which the first team already used. In the event, the first team only got about half way through the alphabet. Since the second team had had 5 minutes to think of things, we expected them to clean up... but they didn't.

It was intended to show that video-conferencing meetings are hard work and talking over each other doesn't really help!

We also did some map-reading by showing them a photo, asking them to identify (they can use the annotate tool if reasonably sensible) things that would help them locate it on a map - rivers, churches, roads, forests, hills/valleys, etc. etc. Once they've exhausted that, show them (maps.bing.com) the OS map of the area, and see if they can work out where the photo was taken from. Once they've done that, get them to find the 4/6-fig GR. If you don't have photos, you can grab screenshots from google street view. One of the pictures was from a recce of a night hike we'd planned to do mid-March...

I realise that this is a bit 'school-like' but it was interactive, they had someone actually lead/teach them (unlike home learning based on apps), and it covered stuff which I find hard to motivate myself to teach them face-to-face when it's more fun just to get outside (and get lost).

The challenge we have with zoom is that it is very hard to adapt to individuals. You can't really take one child to one side and explain something they're finding difficult, or give the older/experienced ones something which is more challenging. Some of them want to do a scavenger hunt next week, and we're a bit worried that the older/less competitive ones will be a bit 'meh' about it... One option is to split the session in two (we only run the whole thing for about an hour).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to daveh01 For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (12-06-2020)

Thanks
    We did the Hogwarts escape room last night. Had 8 scouts on the call so just did as one group but found we had three who took a very vocal part whilst the rest just watched. Started asking specific scouts for ideas after a while to make sure they all got involved - I think some of them just weren't as confident and others just not as interested.
    The escape room itself was very good and I think most of them enjoyed it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon.md For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (12-06-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,444 Posts
    One unit pizza making, another a Victoria Sponge cake. Both seemed to work okay for Explorers.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Thanked 1,512 Times in 1,073 Posts
    We did the Hogwarts Escape room tonight. Young folk really got into it, which was good. They weren't working particularly well as a team though. Several of them found the same thing at different times. Someone would pipe up - "I found a wand!" And someone else would say, "yeah, had that for like ten minutes..."

In the end, no one was entirely sure how they escaped. But eventually, someone was heard to say in among the confusion... "it was meeeeee..."

Great to see brains ticking over though, a heck of a lot better than them swapping inane memes for an hour.

Good job to the creators.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (25-06-2020)

Thanks
    We did origami last week which seemed to go down well - just shared my video on Zoom and talked / showed them through what to do. Yesterday we did a bake off competition which they enjoyed, set them the challenge of baking and decorating a cake beforehand then they presented the cake in the meeting and described what it was and what it tasted like. Had some good entries.

Going to try cooking on swedish fire logs next week... wish us luck

I think ours must be quite different to some of yours, they don't like talking to each other on Zoom. We have to ask them questions or we don't get anything, they seem happy sitting in silence waiting for the next instruction otherwise, was never like that in our face to face meetings!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,386 Times in 1,843 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    We did the Hogwarts Escape room tonight. Young folk really got into it, which was good. They weren't working particularly well as a team though. Several of them found the same thing at different times. Someone would pipe up - "I found a wand!" And someone else would say, "yeah, had that for like ten minutes..."

In the end, no one was entirely sure how they escaped. But eventually, someone was heard to say in among the confusion... "it was meeeeee..."

Great to see brains ticking over though, a heck of a lot better than them swapping inane memes for an hour.

Good job to the creators.
    I did a trial run of the escape room. Couldn't get past the second room. I guess it maybe just isn't my bag.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    I did a trial run of the escape room. Couldn't get past the second room. I guess it maybe just isn't my bag.
    Oooh err - I am doing it with the Scouts next week, must do a trial run myself.
    John Alexander,
    ASL and Assistant Webmaster
    1st Weald Brook
    http://www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk
    ESL(YL) Brentwood District

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,567 Posts
    a group of 10 of us adults did it weeka ago and it tooks us very nearly an hour. it ain;t easy.

Thanks
    There is a walkthrough for the Hogwarts Escape room. If you're running a group game it's in the leaders' control panel.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,512 Times in 1,073 Posts
    I had the answers, and I still couldn't figure it out.

The young folk managed it though. They didn't exactly communicate very well, but they got there. One of my older Explorers figured out what the code was to escape which ended the game. Initially, no one knew who did it, or how. Then he piped up. I think he quietly figured it all out by himself.

I hid behind the fact that I've never read any of the books or seen any of the films, which I think covered my ignorance nicely.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wealdbrook View Post
    Oooh err - I am doing it with the Scouts next week, must do a trial run myself.
    It's worth running through just to get the hang of the interface.

We had an issue with beeping noises. I think each time they put something in the in-game chat, or used something, the game beeped. But it started beeping while we were waiting to start and it seemed to set off some weird feed back thing over Zoom. We couldn't figure out where the beep was coming from. I assumed it was me - you can't admin a game and be in the game on the same laptop. I had two set up, one with the leader's admin screen on, and another with the game and Zoom on. My admin laptop would beep, my Zoom laptop would pick it up and transmit it to everyone else, but I think they were transmitting it back to me.

I'm still not sure what was going on with the beeps.

Thanks
    Once I worked out you had to equip items it wasn't so bad
    You can look at the hints via the help menu if stuck as well - I did it before the meeting which was a good idea, can give the Scouts hints if they are struggling on certain elements then.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,386 Times in 1,843 Posts
    I think yours are different if they will actually do any prep.

I can ask them to prep something really simple for the following week and I can put money on the only one who will do the prep. There is absolutely zero chance of getting them to bake a cake for a Zoom meeting. Not a hope in Hell.

I am looking at the 18 regulars we had before Lockdown.

1 was talking about packing in for tennis training - fair enough.
    His mate won't come if he is not there.
    Another has not attended Zoom meetings because she has been spending more time with her horse - (horses are my pipe band...)
    Of our four older ones - one is going to College in Leeds, so the chances of seeing him back are slim to zero
    Two are going to a college in town and that will make the logistics of getting to Navs difficult
    Another one won't come if her mate isn't there.
    We appear to have lost a 14 year old - we are getting zero response to any communications, which suggests that he has dropped out.

We are easily down to 10. Then there are the rest whom we have not heard from and whose parents have stopped checking notices. So, a September restart date would see us down by 50%.

If restart is January... I doubt that we would have enough kids to make it work at all. We will not be the only ones.

We have also lost the momentum on the proposed youth group, so that is likely to be a non-starter now - which will delight the Conservative voters in the area who hated the idea of a youth club... seriously. They railed against it.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    I think yours are different if they will actually do any prep.
    Perhaps ours are different - for last Thursday they were asked to make something from recycling/scrap - we gave them 5 ideas including instructions (borrowed from a STEM site). Three of them mad a pringle tube launcher and demonstrated firing scrunched up paper at the camera in Zoom. One made a balloon hovercraft and showed a video of them playing air hockey with it. The other had not done anything. We were a few down this week - one had a video call to their new secondary school teacher, one was too tired after tennis training and the other may have drifted away.

In fact most of the times we have given them challenges to work on they have delivered something (how many items can you get in a 10ml plastic container - 80! - take pictures of things representing the colours of Joseph's coat; and some have been doing activity badges which they never normally do!).
    John Alexander,
    ASL and Assistant Webmaster
    1st Weald Brook
    http://www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk
    ESL(YL) Brentwood District

nele
    Thanks
    We had a session with codebreakers yesterday, the scouts really enjoyed it, I was pretty hopeless which wasn't a surprise to me. Basically it used https://scratch.mit.edu/ to make a simple game. I'm sure people who have reasonable skills could run something similar themselves.

I think our trainer was surprised at the (low) level of our scouts, but some of them have never done anything like this before. I'm hoping that we can get some hiking, orienteering and the like done this summer, still waiting to hear. Most of our have had enough of the virtual stuff and would much rather be out walking, playing games etc.