Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Virtual Meeting Ideas

Thanks

Virtual Meeting Ideas

Having read through some of the other threads it seems there are a few out there trying online meetings in one form another. This is something we are doing as well using Zoom so am keen to share ideas.

We've had three meetings over the last three weeks. Week 1 was just a half hour chat to try and do a bit of a troop forum and see who was interested. The Scouts didn't really have many ideas (can't really blame them, I'm struggling to think of stuff!) so we just had a bit of a chat and gave them info on resources they can access (e.g. badge requirements, great indoors). Finished by asking them to learn a new knot to show to the group next week.

Second week some of them had done a knot so we spent some time with them showing their knots and just chatting again. They decided they wanted to do a quiz so asked them to submit questions. Four of them sent in questions so we had a quiz last night via Zoom and Kahoot which went down very well - they have already requested another one.

We have thought of doing a bake off where they can show what they've made on the call and we can try and guess how nice it tastes

One thing I've been doing is sending an email summary after the meeting so those that can't attend don't feel so left out. Good thing about the Kahoot quiz is they can do it offline if they want.

So simple question really - what have you done that's worked well? And what plans have you got to try?

Just want to say as well, I totally get online meetings aren't going to be for everyone - leaders or Scouts. I'm trying to be really clear with our lot that all this stuff we are doing is optional and it's no issue if they don't want to or can't join in at the moment.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon.md For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (10-04-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,512 Times in 1,073 Posts
    We had our second meeting last night. The first was with older scouts to see how it would run, last night was open to all.

We had about 20 on at one point, but to be honest, it was a bit hectic. They don't really understand that it's a wee bit like a CB radio, if they keep their finger on the button, no one else can get a word in. So we had two or three essentially playing snippets of music and YouTube noise (which they obviously thought was hilarious) but meant no one else could really get in to speak. When two or three start doing it (and yup, it's a domino effect), all you can do is mute everyone until they stop. It's not really possible to tell who's actually doing it, so it's a case of 'Mute All'.

I felt a wee bit bad for those who aren't usually very outspoken. While some looked content to just soak it all up, some others were getting a wee bit frustrated at not being able to be heard.

Finally managed to work out how break-out rooms work in Zoom - they're not well suited to our needs I felt. I know we have our small cliques, so I thought they might like to break off for a chat. But it didn't really work.

We did find the Whiteboard function under the Share Screen button, that might be useful for games - but again, you ask (beg, plea, beseech) them all to stop drawing for a minute, but they are supremely incapable of doing so. And I imagine you can guess what the main, ummm, theme of the art was.

We're also still doing coronavision on Facebook. I got our first two questions in, so that's a wee bit of interaction. (I also bought some explosive targets for air rifle shooting. As an aside, they're well worth the money... )

I think, for the most part - even if it is a bit hectic - these web conference-type things are worth doing. Although yes, I will send out an email explaining that if it's not for you, then you're still more than welcome to get in touch in other ways. (We've also set up a Google Classroom...)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

Simon.md (10-04-2020)

SL - Sketty Scouts
    Thanks
    We've completed 2 weeks of virtual meetings (via Zoom) and are planning a 'joint meeting' of our 2 troops tomorrow evening. We've only been running 1hr sessions and have noticed that the attention span seems to wander after about 40-45mins on a single activity. Take up has been about 60-75% of our usual weekly meetings so it's something that is definitely working for us!

Each session starts with a short game while members are 'tuning in'. We've played Guess Who and rock, paper, scissors (vs the host) and are planning on Pictionary and Hangman (with the white board) and simon says.

Week 1 was just a laid back session, getting to know the system and running a short scavenger hunt - put a survival theme into it so we felt the Scouts had some useful information imparted (length of time we can survive without food/water/shelter etc) and prioritising key activities.

Week 2 was a little more skills training - map work - loosely based on the OS maps puzzle book theory of questions increasing in difficulty from start to end. Made use of the shared screen, with the host sharing a snap shot of the map and asking questions involving a 'virtual' walk through of a route being described, which the scouts had to follow to find the correct answers, scouts would then reply to the host via text chat. Younger Scouts could utilise google/parents to assist them answer the questions and we have uploaded the map excerpt and questions to OSM badges at home for the scouts to complete in their own time if they didn't make the live session.

Week 3 (tomorrow!) we have planned to undertake a google maps/street view bingo game where each scout has to grab a screen shot to answer a series of riddles (e.g. the birth place of Swansea's man of words, Big mac venue in the big apple). 12 items to gather in total and they will be separated into breakout rooms in smaller 'patrols' with hosts to assess their contributions with the 'winner' crowned at the end.

Learning points (so far):
    • Scouts attention wanders after 30-45 minutes - not so obvious on a normal weekly meeting as we tend to change around activity locations and topics during an evening, but definitely more noticeable online when there is the distraction of consoles, mobile phones etc in their own homes
    • Clarify rules for the session i.e. put away the mobile phones, as we would expect on a normal evening
    • Mute all once they've sorted their audio/video on entry so you can make yourself heard, just remember to turn on their audio if you expect them to reply to you!!
    • Set a uniform requirement/standard...we've had some dubious outfit choices (that we wouldn't tolerate at a normal meeting) from some Scouts, along with some odd video angles as they drop their device to run and grab something... fortunately not at the same time!
    • Set mini challenges in between meetings - make a silly hat, necker adornment or the like - to show at the next meeting and encourage repeat attendance
    • Vary the host from week to week and also within the meetings to retain the interest
    • Avoid running theory heavy sessions, make sure the Scouts have something to do because they won't just sit there and listen.
    Richard Organ

Sketty Scout Leader
    ADC - Swansea and Gower

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yeovil_walker For This Useful Post:

CliveS (20-04-2020),Simon.md (14-04-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,386 Times in 1,843 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeovil_walker View Post
    We've completed 2 weeks of virtual meetings (via Zoom) and are planning a 'joint meeting' of our 2 troops tomorrow evening. We've only been running 1hr sessions and have noticed that the attention span seems to wander after about 40-45mins on a single activity. Take up has been about 60-75% of our usual weekly meetings so it's something that is definitely working for us!

Each session starts with a short game while members are 'tuning in'. We've played Guess Who and rock, paper, scissors (vs the host) and are planning on Pictionary and Hangman (with the white board) and simon says.

Week 1 was just a laid back session, getting to know the system and running a short scavenger hunt - put a survival theme into it so we felt the Scouts had some useful information imparted (length of time we can survive without food/water/shelter etc) and prioritising key activities.

Week 2 was a little more skills training - map work - loosely based on the OS maps puzzle book theory of questions increasing in difficulty from start to end. Made use of the shared screen, with the host sharing a snap shot of the map and asking questions involving a 'virtual' walk through of a route being described, which the scouts had to follow to find the correct answers, scouts would then reply to the host via text chat. Younger Scouts could utilise google/parents to assist them answer the questions and we have uploaded the map excerpt and questions to OSM badges at home for the scouts to complete in their own time if they didn't make the live session.

Week 3 (tomorrow!) we have planned to undertake a google maps/street view bingo game where each scout has to grab a screen shot to answer a series of riddles (e.g. the birth place of Swansea's man of words, Big mac venue in the big apple). 12 items to gather in total and they will be separated into breakout rooms in smaller 'patrols' with hosts to assess their contributions with the 'winner' crowned at the end.

• Scouts attention wanders after 30-45 minutes - not so obvious on a normal weekly meeting as we tend to change around activity locations and topics during an evening, but definitely more noticeable online when there is the distraction of consoles, mobile phones etc in their own homes
    • Clarify rules for the session i.e. put away the mobile phones, as we would expect on a normal evening
    • Mute all once they've sorted their audio/video on entry so you can make yourself heard, just remember to turn on their audio if you expect them to reply to you!!
    • Set a uniform requirement/standard...we've had some dubious outfit choices (that we wouldn't tolerate at a normal meeting) from some Scouts, along with some odd video angles as they drop their device to run and grab something... fortunately not at the same time!
    • Set mini challenges in between meetings - make a silly hat, necker adornment or the like - to show at the next meeting and encourage repeat attendance
    • Vary the host from week to week and also within the meetings to retain the interest
    • Avoid running theory heavy sessions, make sure the Scouts have something to do because they won't just sit there and listen.
    I'm impressed. My lot wouldn't cope with that at a normal meeting night. Any mention of maps and we lose them.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by yeovil_walker View Post

Thanks - that sounds really good. I'm with you on timing, we've been doing 30-45mins and that's definitely enough. We went for Uniform not required as we aren't really trying to replicate our normal meetings in that regard. I quite like the idea of a scavenger hunt.

I've avoided muting everyone at the moment - although I can see why it would be useful at times!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,444 Posts
    If you want to try something different, can't remember if I've mentioned (I probably have) JambowlWii. A virtual bowling night. Details here: http://jambowlree.org/index.php/jambowlwii/
    I reckon in zoom you could get them sharing their screen one at a time if you've not got that many, then they can be encouraging each other as they play their game. Could also split them into teams to make it more competitive.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Thanks - to be honest I'd dismissed that as I assumed it was Wii based but will take another look

Thanks
    I had forgotten to do the Jambowlwii bits. I have now entered our Scores.

However- take them with a pinch of salt. It was hard to quality control the lanes and equipment. But as long as they were happy as a group, we went with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by claire.shadbolt View Post
    I had forgotten to do the Jambowlwii bits. I have now entered our Scores.

However- take them with a pinch of salt. It was hard to quality control the lanes and equipment. But as long as they were happy as a group, we went with it.
    That's all fine. Just a bit of fun...and if no one else joins in, you'll win!
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    That's all fine. Just a bit of fun...and if no one else joins in, you'll win!
    Does that mean we are currently leading. Wahoo. (Plus losing.)

Thanks
    Any thoughts re risk assessing an online scavenger hunt my concern is a scout falling down stairs at home in a hurry to get the item first
    Also we have one set of brothers in the troop one more aggressive than the other ?
    Last edited by deekjcornwell; 15-04-2020 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Additionally

Thanks
    You need to get the parents involved with managing behaviour in their own home.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 887 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deekjcornwell View Post
    Also we have one set of brothers in the troop one more aggressive than the other ?
    I would make them play as a team taking it in turn to go get the next item.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL
    2002 - 2018 AESL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks

Scavenger hunt

Patrol playing and a risk assesment saying no running and no Sharpe objects seemed to work well tonight
    Odd when one brother managed to find 3 loo rolls and the other only got one sheet ?
    Only one broken bone today non scouting though our daughter slipped and broke her toe exercising with the grandchildren? Watching Joe wilks

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,567 Posts
    I just made kahoot quiz for tonight based on CBBC shows.

https://create.kahoot.it/share/cbbc-...2-2303ed167ea9

it should be good for scout age kids