Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Retail, hospitality and leisure grant fund

Thanks
    It is, of course, unfair as between England and Scotland. But equally unfair as between Groups with their own buildings and hence on the business rates register and those who don't and are not. But all emergency measures brought in quickly are going to be unfair. I would hope that groups within a District who can benefit from this would, in a Scouting spirit, be open to using some of it to support other groups in greater financial difficulties. I would hope so, anyway.
    John Russell
    ex-CSL now ACSL 1st Pinhoe Exeter Devon
    Cubs don't care how much you know, but they need to know how much you care.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnR For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (05-05-2020)

Yes, I've got the T-shirt Sparkgap's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dralphs View Post
    Like a few others i wasn't sure about whether we should apply or not for the Retail, Hospitality and Leisure Grant.

However our local council both emailed and wrote to me so we are definitely eligible and having applied have the money in the bank.

It will be used to subsidise our running costs for the new few years and let us help families who are now finding it difficult to pay subs, camp fees, uniform etc.
    Our treasurer has heard back we'll get the payment in the next 7 days, wish more grant givers were this quick!! Ours will help cover losses from not hiring out the HQ plus I reckon there will be a dropoff in membership in the short term at least, and the cynic in me thinks the reason HQ is encouraging all groups to apply is so they don't have to reduce the capitation
    Andy
    SL 1st Wellington
    www.wellingtonscouts.org

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparkgap For This Useful Post:

dralphs (05-05-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkgap View Post
    and the cynic in me thinks the reason HQ is encouraging all groups to apply is so they don't have to reduce the capitation
    This is probably true. Capitation was already going up and still will be. So if groups can use this cash to ride any loses in the covid shutdown then what comes next is more of a shower than a storm.

Equally, I would argue that any trustee that is NOT taking this money if their charity is eligible is acting negligibly and not in interest of the organisation.
    --
    Dan Sheehan
    Group Scout Leader
    9th Muswell Hill Scout Group

District Training Adviser
    District Executive Member
    District Appointment Advisory Comittee
    North London District Scouts

web: www.9thmuswellhill.org.uk
    twitter: @9thMuswellHill
    facebook: /9thmuswellhill

Thanks
    Thanked 1,528 Times in 1,085 Posts
    Yup.

While there is a disparity (probably more accurate than an unfairness), you'd be daft to turn the money down.

Both my MP and MSP responded quickly, so they must be 'working' from home too... The Scottish equivalent (for those up this way) is called the Third Sector Resilience Fund, found here.

https://scvo.org.uk/support/coronavi...esilience-fund

I can say without hesitation, this is 100% means tested money. They want accounts, restricted and unrestricted funds and all sorts of other documentation. However, it doesn't seem to be reliant on whether you have buildings or not (so no rateable value parameters to meet). But, it is not suited very well (at all) to how we operate. (Mostly around us coughing up capitation fees for the whole year on one day outwith the lock down.)

On the one hand, targeting money in this way is probably a better use of that money, but it's still annoying. It's a faff because, it won't for example let me claim any money for loss of income, it only lets me claim for liabilities during a three month period around the lock down. So I can't claim for a cancelled jumble sale or the hall hire money we're losing, (about 4k of income). All (I think) I can reasonably claim for, seems to be capitation fees (which for us amounts to 36.65 per member as of Feb 2021) and even then, possibly only a pro rata amount.

It's really meant for overheads and staff costs. It's not meant for us at all. (But I'm taking a punt anyway...)

Thanks
    As a Group we wondered..... just because we can, does that mean we should?
    However following rumours of a 'cash grab' by District to help out those Groups less fortunate than ours (not sure how that would work beyond just asking) and partly fuelled by a desire to maintain our reserves following the loss of our two main fundraisers etc, we decided that our hand was being slightly forced. It still doesn't sit that easy with some on the exec.............. but leading up to the suspension of Scouting, for the first time in ages we had found ourselves with a bit of money to spend. The pragmatists amongst us decided we didn't want to see that disappear, and if the grant is awarded, we will be in a position to help our fellow Scouts if needed/appropriate
    Last edited by bigcheese; 05-05-2020 at 05:10 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bigcheese For This Useful Post:

dralphs (05-05-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcheese View Post
    As a Group we wondered..... just because we can, does that mean we should?
    However following rumours of a 'cash grab' by District to help out those Groups less fortunate than ours (not sure how that would work beyond just asking) and partly fuelled by desire to maintain our reserves following the loss of our two main fundraisers etc, we decided that our hand was being slightly forced. It still doesn't sit that easily with some on the exec.............. but leading up to the suspension of Scouting, for the first time in ages we had found ourselves with a bit of money to spend. The pragmatists amongst us decided we didn't want that see that disappear, and if the grant is awarded we will be in a position to help our fellow Scouts if needed/appropriate
    Yup, my personal unease was overridden, both personally and by the exec, that everyone else was doing it so any group which could but didn't was probably not living up to its responsibilities to do the best for its beneficiaries.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    Fired off a number of emails to MSP's and Scottish MP's about this.

Seems a wee bit unfair to be honest.
    That's what devolution gets you...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Rush View Post
    Yeah, in Scotland they have other benefits which we don't get - care for the elderly, no tuition fees for students etc.
    Jonathan Bloor
    Escouts Team
    Group Scout Leader - 4th Ashby de la Zouch

Group Scout Leader
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloory View Post
    Yeah, in Scotland they have other benefits which we don't get - care for the elderly, no tuition fees for students etc.
    And a lot more apparently https://www.snp.org/higher-standard-...-scotland-tax/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RisingStar View Post
    Yup, my personal unease was overridden, both personally and by the exec, that everyone else was doing it so any group which could but didn't was probably not living up to its responsibilities to do the best for its beneficiaries.
    Same here. I'm also uneasy about what might be attempted by County/HQ so having this in reserve will help. We will also look to help other groups if we legally can.
    Dave Ralphs
    Yarnton Scout Group (Treasurer)
    DofE Advisor & District Exec Member - Oxford Spires District
    http://yarntonscouts.org.uk/

I work for O2, any posts are my own personal views & do not represent O2

Yes, I've got the T-shirt Sparkgap's Avatar
    Thanks
    On the subject of saving money, what about looking into insurance savings? A museum I'm involved with has negotiated a 50/month reduction in its insurance due to closure etc.
    Andy
    SL 1st Wellington
    www.wellingtonscouts.org

Thanks
    I applied on behalf of our Group, and the money appeared in the bank within a week.

I don’t have any qualms applying for it. We have lost a lot of rental income as a result of the lockdown, but we still have bills to pay and (maybe) loan repayments to make.

That said, I have already offered the opinion to others on our Exec that we should be viewing this as money obtained for scouting rather than for our group. Not all groups in our district qualify, or have the level of reserves we do. Our focus should be on the wider scouting community and not just us.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,528 Times in 1,085 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Rush View Post
    Indeed.

It's swings and roundabouts. I have a number of links about grant information which I'll share here for groups in Scotland. Our MP and MSP have both been very helpful. (Doesn't matter what parties they're from.)

I think, on balance, the difference is, grants here are being means tested, which I think is fair enough.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by garethhowell View Post
    That said, I have already offered the opinion to others on our Exec that we should be viewing this as money obtained for scouting rather than for our group. Not all groups in our district qualify, or have the level of reserves we do. Our focus should be on the wider scouting community and not just us.
    This is a difficult one as simply transferring spare cash to another group could be seen as misuse of charity funds as however close groups are, they are of course separate legal entities.

I suspect the way to do it is when setting next years District Levy on AMS you make it higher than you'd actually need to rise it anyway knowing that many groups have had this funding so are in the strong position needed to pay it, and the surplus this generated used to provide grants and loans to the groups that are struggling.
    --
    Dan Sheehan
    Group Scout Leader
    9th Muswell Hill Scout Group

District Training Adviser
    District Executive Member
    District Appointment Advisory Comittee
    North London District Scouts

web: www.9thmuswellhill.org.uk
    twitter: @9thMuswellHill
    facebook: /9thmuswellhill

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dsheehan View Post
    This is a difficult one as simply transferring spare cash to another group could be seen as misuse of charity funds as however close groups are, they are of course separate legal entities.

I suspect the way to do it is when setting next years District Levy on AMS you make it higher than you'd actually need to rise it anyway knowing that many groups have had this funding so are in the strong position needed to pay it, and the surplus this generated used to provide grants and loans to the groups that are struggling.
    Agreed - however I do wonder if AMS from HQ might not also anticipate the grant !