Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Retail, hospitality and leisure grant fund

Thanks
    Thanked 2,555 Times in 1,464 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RisingStar View Post
    Agreed - however I do wonder if AMS from HQ might not also anticipate the grant !
    They shouldn't, knowing that many groups don't meet in their own hut, therefore won't have the grant to help pay for an increased AMS. I mean, AMS is going up, for sure, but...
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Thanked 3,694 Times in 1,610 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    They shouldn't, knowing that many groups don't meet in their own hut, therefore won't have the grant to help pay for an increased AMS. I mean, AMS is going up, for sure, but...
    If they wanted to be unpopular, they could impose a buildings levy, or a SATC charge i guess, on English groups.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    If they wanted to be unpopular, they could impose a buildings levy, or a SATC charge i guess, on English groups.
    They would probably have to change POR and/or constituition i would have thought to be able to do so and it would be very unpopular and i hope contested.

If SATC was to impose a sudden large charge can't we just refuse to pay and use someone else, i'm not even sure our deeds are held by them, and in any case i'm sure there is something in law about unfair fees, terms and conditions.

Not sure how they could impose a building levy, how would they know you had got the grant or could pay it, and unless it is set up so you have to pay it to remain under TSA i can't see how it could be imposed. If they tried i'd be tempted to do as has been suggested and spin the hut out into a separate charity running it for our group as well as brownies, guides & explorers.
    Dave Ralphs
    Yarnton Scout Group (Treasurer)
    DofE Advisor & District Exec Member - Oxford Spires District
    http://yarntonscouts.org.uk/

I work for O2, any posts are my own personal views & do not represent O2

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 931 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dralphs View Post
    If they tried i'd be tempted to do as has been suggested and spin the hut out into a separate charity running it for our group as well as brownies, guides & explorers.
    Easier said than done, if your Group owns the hut then you can't just give it away to another charity as its an asset owned by the Group and your trustees have a duty to realise full value for it if giving up ownership of it. In order to have that set up you really need it from the start and use the seperate charity as the one that holds the funds when fundraising for a building in the first place.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL
    2002 - 2018 AESL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

5. The Following User Says Thank You to shiftypete For This Useful Post:

RisingStar (06-05-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,579 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    Easier said than done, if your Group owns the hut then you can't just give it away to another charity as its an asset owned by the Group and your trustees have a duty to realise full value for it if giving up ownership of it. In order to have that set up you really need it from the start and use the seperate charity as the one that holds the funds when fundraising for a building in the first place.
    No, you can set up a trust and transfer the building to the trust and create a hall management committee including other users. It is actually quite simple.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    No, you can set up a trust and transfer the building to the trust and create a hall management committee including other users. It is actually quite simple.
    Charity Commission guidance would siggest that is not the case
    4.1 What are the requirements for sales, longer leases and other disposals of an interest in land?
    If you are carrying out one of these types of disposals you must:

obtain and consider a written report from a qualified surveyor
    advertise the disposal following advice from your surveyor
    decide you are satisfied that the proposed terms are the best that can reasonably be obtained in the circumstances of the disposal
    (my bold)
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...harity-land#s4
    Last edited by shiftypete; 06-05-2020 at 08:43 PM.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL
    2002 - 2018 AESL

www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    You know you've just invented Yossarian's glue gun?!
    John Russell
    ex-CSL now ACSL 1st Pinhoe Exeter Devon
    Cubs don't care how much you know, but they need to know how much you care.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,694 Times in 1,610 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    i'll wait until it gets quoted on here from facebook and then My God, it is true.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL
    2002 - 2018 AESL

www.leeds-solar.co.uk

Thanks

Sorry but if you saw our hut you would know why i'm laughing. Even the land is probably not worth a great deal due to its location and what it used to be.

But yes i appreciate it has to be done officially following charity commission rules.
    Dave Ralphs

Thanks
    Thanked 3,579 Times in 1,938 Posts
    There are many examples of Trusts handling Scout property - the title is held by the Trustees on behalf of the Group/ District and the property is run by the Group/ or the committee of users. That is what the SATC does. The Trust agreement can be a simple holding operation, leaving all costs and maintenance to the operating committee.

The term is a Jointly Owned Property Trust and requires registration with the Land Registry - Looking at the form it would require a solicitor to act on the Group/ Trust's behalf. I know that the two times that we have transferred property to the SAYC it was a simple transfer to protect the property. On the campsite we transferred rom the existing Trust to the SATC and the only awkward bit was getting the agreement of an elderly sole remaining Trustee.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

dralphs (07-05-2020)

Thanks
    Itís interesting to see quoting POR/Charity Law as a reason not to help other scouts. We are all supposed to be scouts, and scouts should help other scouts if they are able to do so.

The money came to us as an unfettered grant. It is not restricted in any way. Provided we donít endanger the financial stability of our own charity, then we are perfectly entitled to make grants to any other body that shares the same aims.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to garethhowell For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (07-05-2020)

Thanks
    ... the only awkward bit was getting the agreement of an elderly sole remaining Trustee.
    And thatís why SATC exists: to prevent Groups getting into serious trouble when all the trustees of the property trust die/whatever.

The current Exec may be willing to ensure this situation never occurs, but what about 10-20-50 years time?

Thanks
    There are many examples of Trusts handling Scout property - the title is held by the Trustees on behalf of the Group/ District and the property is run by the Group/ or the committee of users. That is what the SATC does. The Trust agreement can be a simple holding operation, leaving all costs and maintenance to the operating committee.

The term is a Jointly Owned Property Trust and requires registration with the Land Registry - Looking at the form it would require a solicitor to act on the Group/ Trust's behalf. I know that the two times that we have transferred property to the SAYC it was a simple transfer to protect the property. On the campsite we transferred rom the existing Trust to the SATC and the only awkward bit was getting the agreement of an elderly sole remaining Trustee.
    Yes but that is just holding the building in trust for the Charity or changing who the holding trust is (as no UK charity can hold buildings or land as they are not the correct legal entity). I don't believe that is what dralphs was suggesting, I think he was suggesting transferring ownership of the building so that the Scout Group were no longer the owners or sole beneficiaries of the ownership which is a very different thing.

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL
    2002 - 2018 AESL

www.leeds-solar.co.uk

18. The Following User Says Thank You to shiftypete For This Useful Post:

dralphs (08-05-2020)

Thanks
    Yes but that is just holding the building in trust for the Charity or changing who the holding trust is (as no UK charity can hold buildings or land as they are not the correct legal entity). I don't believe that is what dralphs was suggesting, I think he was suggesting transferring ownership of the building so that the Scout Group were no longer the owners or sole beneficiaries of the ownership which is a very different thing.
    Yes something like that should HQ try a buildings tax
    Dave Ralphs