Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Retail, hospitality and leisure grant fund

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 1,021 Posts
    FAO Scottish groups.

If you have a building, you can now apply for a small business grant from your LA.

They removed the minimum level of rateable value. You just need to be in receipt of charitable rates relief. (There are other qualifying criteria, sporting relief, rural relief etc).

Have a hunt around on your local authorities website, maybe search for Business Support Grants - applications. You will need a photo of a bank statement (with details visible) and your business rates account number.

The form is moderately straightforward - except for some questions about EU 'difficulty' funding - which I assumed had nothing to do with us.

If you do get any EU funding, it does ask you to declare it however.

Good luck.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

big chris (13-05-2020),dralphs (13-05-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,529 Times in 1,540 Posts
    this is suprisingly political from Scouts Scotland: https://www.stamfordmercury.co.uk/ne...track-9110765/

Especially from a former labour party worker! A calculated decision to lay the groundwork for possible future support, i guess.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    this is suprisingly political from Scouts Scotland: https://www.stamfordmercury.co.uk/ne...track-9110765/

Especially from a former labour party worker! A calculated decision to lay the groundwork for possible future support, i guess.
    I don't see it myself. The furlough scheme is a UK wide thing, not sure why Scouts Scotland commenting on it is political. It is a bit of a random one right enough for the Rutland and Stamford Mercury right enough...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    I don't see it myself. The furlough scheme is a UK wide thing, not sure why Scouts Scotland commenting on it is political. It is a bit of a random one right enough for the Rutland and Stamford Mercury right enough...
    i thought it was a surprising step to take to support a governemnet initiative like this tat was nothing to do with young people/ the outdoors etc. The article is reproduced in loads of local papers. as 'advertorial'/ sponsored content. If the government amended pensions legislation in a couple years, would gilwell speak out to say what a good idea it was and how it benefits their staff?

i'm not fussed... it can't hurt to keep polticians happy and this seems pretty harmless

Thanks
    i thought it was a surprising step to take to support a governemnet initiative like this tat was nothing to do with young people/ the outdoors etc. The article is reproduced in loads of local papers. as 'advertorial'/ sponsored content. If the government amended pensions legislation in a couple years, would gilwell speak out to say what a good idea it was and how it benefits their staff?

i'm not fussed... it can't hurt to keep polticians happy and this seems pretty harmless
    I was surprised to discover that Rutland shares a paper with Stamford.... out if interest is it a scout county on it's own these days or does it count as a scout district of leicestershire?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by campwarden View Post
    I was surprised to discover that Rutland shares a paper with Stamford.... out if interest is it a scout county on it's own these days or does it count as a scout district of leicestershire?

rutland = county for local gvt purposes - population 40,000 but much is shared with leicestrshire
    rutland = district for scouting purposes - 4 groups

rutland and stamford kind of have their lot thrown together with a shared newspaper and radio station. Stamford is the nearest high street with any decent shops (clarks shoes, trespass etc) and is only a 15 minute drive. (Melton Mowbray is a tiny bit firther and a bit more downmaket). People from uppingham are more likely to go to Corby, i think (it has a prmiark!) and is only 15 minutes away.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

campwarden (22-05-2020)

Thanks
    It appears the main argument for a Group not donating the grant to impoverished Groups is "why should a badly run Group benefit because it is poor as a result?". I don't see it that way. Firstly the RLH Fund Grant only came to us as a windfall because of Covid, and we all would have got it but for the qualification criteria of owning the premises. So I am happy to spread our windfall with others - as if the Govt. fund had been sent straight to Districts to distribute amongst us. Our Group isn't impoverished by sharing it out - we only got it to keep us alive during Covid and we can do that without - so I feel uncomfortable claiming for it let alone keeping it. As long as we are constitutionally permitted to share it then it is fine with me.

Our Group is in existence to serve the community - and with the interchange of YP and sometimes Leaders amongst the District I feel our catchment of care is well beyond the village we serve. If that also means that TSA can eventually levy increased Capitation without bankrupting Groups then we have also kept HQ afloat.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul o For This Useful Post:

big chris (22-05-2020),pa_broon74 (22-05-2020)

Thanks

It is a bit random, but I can see why government (of any hue) wouldn't mind being seen to help charities, especially kid's charities.

Strangely and somewhat linked, sort of, maybe... Everyone was a bit non-plussed to read a story in The National (Scotland's only indy supporting newspaper, but owned by the Herald Group), publish a story about (and I'm not joking) Matt Le Tissier questioning on Twitter, ScotGov's comments about a second wave of CV19, in the context of it's four phase exit strategy from lock down.

Everyone was giving the guy a hard time, and I thought - wait a minute, he's probably just as confused as we all are. Why The National picked up on it, is still a mystery.

I hear Rutland is supposed to be really nice though. (I did vaguely remember that perhaps it had an ex-pat Scottish contingent or strong links, but I think I was getting it mixed up with Corby...)

- - - Updated - - -

rutland = county for local gvt purposes - population 40,000 but much is shared with leicestrshire
    rutland = district for scouting purposes - 4 groups

rutland and stamford kind of have their lot thrown together with a shared newspaper and radio station. Stamford is the nearest high street with any decent shops (clarks shoes, trespass etc) and is only a 15 minute drive. (Melton Mowbray is a tiny bit firther and a bit more downmaket). People from uppingham are more likely to go to Corby, i think (it has a prmiark!) and is only 15 minutes away.
    Apropos of nothing other than me remembering. Uppingham has a posh school, Stephen Fry attended and if I remember correctly got expelled from there. (Moab is my Washpot is a fascinating read...)

Thanks
    Apropos of nothing other than me remembering. Uppingham has a posh school, Stephen Fry attended and if I remember correctly got expelled from there. (Moab is my Washpot is a fascinating read...)
    I think it is The Liar that has rather graphic descriptions of what might go on at boarding school. I remember the gist and i am not tempted to read it again. It was all rather unhygenic... including, ironically, a scene that ends in a shower.

- - - Updated - - -

I hear Rutland is supposed to be really nice though. (I did vaguely remember that perhaps it had an ex-pat Scottish contingent or strong links, but I think I was getting it mixed up with Corby...)
    Rutland is crazy nice - having moved from SE London, the change is just ridiculous. Corby is little Scotland... there is even a young lad who busks his bagpipes with great aplomb.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28225325

13. The Following User Says Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (22-05-2020)

Thanks
    I think it is The Liar that has rather graphic descriptions of what might go on at boarding school. I remember the gist and i am not tempted to read it again. It was all rather unhygenic... including, ironically, a scene that ends in a shower.
    Stephen Fry's books can be a wee bit shocking if you're not ready for them. The Hippopotamus is also, ummm, an interesting read.

Moab is my Washpot is more of an eyeopener due to it being autobiographical. The Liar (I thought) might have been semi-autobiographical... I can't remember the exact plot of it though, I read it a while ago.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Rutland is crazy nice - having moved from SE London, the change is just ridiculous. Corby is little Scotland... there is even a young lad who busks his bagpipes with great aplomb.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28225325
    Used to have a friend who lived in Uppingham. Lovely place. Most of the county is a large reservoir with a long cycle track (17 miles?) Around the perimeter. Cycled it a few times as a kid.

Thanks
    I'm 5 minutes from the path. But it is closed at moment

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I'm 5 minutes from the path. But it is closed at moment

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
    How odd given a 20km path could accommodate 10,000 people socia distancing!!! Which is 1/4 of the population

Is the little turf maze and the butterfly sanctuary still there?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by campwarden View Post
    How odd given a 20km path could accommodate 10,000 people socia distancing!!! Which is 1/4 of the population

Is the little turf maze and the butterfly sanctuary still there?
    it's not the rutlanders, it is a popular destinatin for out-of-towners too - especially from leicester and peterborough at the car parks. Butterfly place is called bugtopia now and we will be heading there after lockdown.

Grass maze is still at WIng and is on a to-do list.

Thanks
    it's not the rutlanders, it is a popular destinatin for out-of-towners too - especially from leicester and peterborough at the car parks. Butterfly place is called bugtopia now and we will be heading there after lockdown.

Grass maze is still at WIng and is on a to-do list.
    I remember it used to be fenced off with signs saying "keep off the grass"