Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Retail, hospitality and leisure grant fund

Thanks
    Thanked 3,530 Times in 1,541 Posts

Retail, hospitality and leisure grant fund

This was flagged up in that zoom call with HQ but a chat with a friend just now showed that groups do not all know about it.

The Retail, Hospitality and Leisure Grant Fund

There is a 10k grant for the following:

Properties that will benefit from the relief will be occupied hereditaments that are
    wholly or mainly being used:
    a. as shops, restaurants, cafes, drinking establishments, cinemas and live
    music venues,
    b. for assembly and leisure; or
    c. as hotels, guest & boarding premises and self-catering accommodation
    We are b. (obviously) and where people are getting confused is that many scout groups do not pay rates so they think they are not qualified. I know 2 friends who made this mistake. We may qulaify for 100% relief from our local authority but we are still on the list of properties that aare due to pay business rates because we have a rateable value... look yourselves up here if it helps: https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/busin...ns-by-postcode

Including our group, I now know of 3 scout groups who have received the blanket 10k grant from this. You apply via your local authority. There are two different funds with similar names... you want "The Retail, Hospitality and Leisure Grant Fund" and sometimes it has a different name - given locally.

HQ said that if there is confusion, talk to your local authority's business rates team (not the general covid-19 helpline)

And to be super clear - even if you pay no rates, you are still eligible. You pay no rates/ reduced rates because your rates have been reduced 100%/ 80% as you are a charity but you are still a property that has a rateable value and is used for assembly or leisure.

Also... your rateable value is not your property value. Our bulding has a rateable value of 3,290.00 but is obviously worth much more than that! https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/busin...ns/16924050000 ( i think that the fund is for properties with ratebale values of less than 51k or something like that... but that is huge!)

so, if you have a scout property in england and probably elsewhere - do look into this with some urgency.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

dralphs (05-05-2020),IvanOpinion (09-05-2020),shiftypete (04-05-2020)

Thanks
    Our treasurer is a professional accountant and assumed we weren't eligible, but had a call from our local council today (after zero contact from us I might add), essentially asking for our bank details to pay the 10k into within the next few days.
    James

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dragonhhjh For This Useful Post:

big chris (04-05-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,306 Times in 866 Posts
    Just so people are clear there are two grant schemes both based on business rates and both giving the same leel of grants. The first one launched was the small business grant scheme which was only directed at small businesses (as the name would indicate). The retail, hospitality and leisure grant fund has a wider remit than just business and its totally oppropriate for Scout Groups to apply for this grant scheme.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonhhjh View Post
    Our treasurer is a professional accountant and assumed we weren't eligible, but had a call from our local council today (after zero contact from us I might add), essentially asking for our bank details to pay the 10k into within the next few days.
    Whats you local council??

Group Scout Leader
    Thanks
    We've had confirmation from our local authority that our Retail, Hospitality and Leisure Grant has been awarded and that will receive the money in the next 7 days. I know of other Group's who been awarded it too.

Thanks
    HQ have asked all groups to apply - according to a county cynic they can't apply but if groups can....

On a personal level I think it's outrageous, if that were 4000 groups then 40M of tax payers money should not be going to Scouts IMO. Stands by for flack....

Thanks
    We don't qualify as only tenants...
    Jonathan Bloor
    Escouts Team
    Group Scout Leader - 4th Ashby de la Zouch

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 1,022 Posts
    We miss out in Scotland. The grant range is higher, but so is the rateable value threshold - to which, we come no where near.

Group Scout Leader
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RisingStar View Post
    ...if that were 4000 groups then 40M of tax payers money...
    40m is absolutely nothing when the total UK bill for coronavirus is added up in 5 years time.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pstretch For This Useful Post:

big chris (04-05-2020),dralphs (05-05-2020),johnL (04-05-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pstretch View Post
    40m is absolutely nothing when the total UK bill for coronavirus is added up in 5 years time.
    It's massive for TSA, it would run the NHS for less than an hour. Fact is that 40M is still a quid each from every tax payers pocket and I think our parents can well afford it. But that's me.

Thanks
    It's massive for TSA, it would run the NHS for less than an hour. Fact is that 40M is still a quid each from every tax payers pocket and I think our parents can well afford it. But that's me.
    Or less than the value of the massively important work groups are about to do in helping young people rebuild their lives.

We have received the grant and it is already being used to offer additional training to retain and up skill volunteers, support families that cannot pay and allows us to start planning for re-enliving events with confidence.

I normally agree with you, but on this way I definitely disagree.

Rich

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to richardnhunt For This Useful Post:

ASLChris (07-05-2020),big chris (04-05-2020),dsheehan (04-05-2020),Ian Mallett (05-05-2020),shiftypete (04-05-2020)

Thanks
    HQ have asked all groups to apply - according to a county cynic they can't apply but if groups can....
    I know of one County who have applied as they have a campsite with buildings and have already received the money
    A week of camp life is worth six months of theoretical teaching in the meeting room. Baden-Powell

Thanks
    Our group has got the grant and we are mainly using it to cover the costs of our HQ usually met by our daytime lettings income

Thanks
    Like a few others i wasn't sure about whether we should apply or not for the Retail, Hospitality and Leisure Grant.

However our local council both emailed and wrote to me so we are definitely eligible and having applied have the money in the bank.

It will be used to subsidise our running costs for the new few years and let us help families who are now finding it difficult to pay subs, camp fees, uniform etc.
    Dave Ralphs
    Yarnton Scout Group (Treasurer)
    DofE Advisor & District Exec Member - Oxford Spires District
    http://yarntonscouts.org.uk/

I work for O2, any posts are my own personal views & do not represent O2

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 1,022 Posts
    Fired off a number of emails to MSP's and Scottish MP's about this.

Seems a wee bit unfair to be honest.