Thread: Do your have a SASU? If so, how does it work?

Thanks

Do your have a SASU? If so, how does it work?

Our district doesnít currently have a SASU, but Iím giving some thought to how we could rectify that.

Since I moved on from being Asst GSL to Chairman, Iím no longer in uniform: and I miss that. I donít want a leadership role, but Iíd still like to stay involved in the front line somehow. Active Support is a way to satisfy this: even if itís just a register of ex-Leaders who have skills theyíd like to pass on.

So, does your Group/District/County have a SASU? If so, how does it work and what does it do?

Gareth

Thanks
    Thanked 1,333 Times in 885 Posts
    Our District does but most of the members are either the service crew volunteers at our District campsite or they are volunteers who help run our large District run annual challenge hike (www.sixdales.co.uk). I think some of them also might also help with thing like catering for District camps but largely its based around those two activities.

There is at least one Group with a Group Active Support and they use it very well as some thing some of their memebers parents can join and they help the Group occasionally with things like catering and other support roles. They also use it as a good place to place former Explorers from their partnered Unit who want to keep involved and help run camps etc without a regular commitment. I am looking to set up something similar for our Group as well.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL
    2002 - 2018 AESL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,440 Posts
    Yes, our district does have an SASU.

They do:
    - monthly SASU socials
    - "Monday crew" campsite maintenance
    - random helping at section meetings
    - leader skills training
    - some permit holders that aren't leaders (archery/shooting/climbing)
    - buffet for the AGM
    - random helping at group fundraisers
    - volunteer at the scout shop
    - help at District family camp

I think that's more or less it.

We are also trying to get an ex-Network/Theme Park Camp SASU off the ground so that the over 25s that come out the top of Network have a home. Aim to get activity permits, run theme park camp, and generally help out, and have a few socials.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    My district has a sort of SASU that runs the District Scout Shop. There also appear to be people around the district camp site, who are SAS members, as they have no other formal role.
    Simba (my daughter wouldn't let me be Rafiki, and now she's a Network Scout & ABSL)
    ABSL
    Birstall Scout Group
    West Yorkshire

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by garethhowell View Post
    Our district doesn’t currently have a SASU, but I’m giving some thought to how we could rectify that.

Since I moved on from being Asst GSL to Chairman, I’m no longer in uniform: and I miss that. I don’t want a leadership role, but I’d still like to stay involved in the front line somehow. Active Support is a way to satisfy this: even if it’s just a register of ex-Leaders who have skills they’d like to pass on.

So, does your Group/District/County have a SASU? If so, how does it work and what does it do?

Gareth
    We tried desperately hard and failed. Basically most SASU seem to be ex leaders or ex district. Those who want to help at a lower level seem to go with the groups that they've been associated. I hope Christchurch (not my district), doesn't mind a name check but on my visit to their SASU I was knocked out by the energy, size (about 50), and activities in not only helping groups, and district events, but also doing their own activities. However.... they have a very strong gang show - cast and backstage - and an awful lot of them have come up through that and bring in their friends from groups. That also drove their previous fellowship which was strong too.

If you can achieve that social atmosphere I suspect you're on a win, but getting there is the hard bit.

In passing Trefoil Guild (the guide "retired members" organisation) seems to be a lot more successful.

Thanks
    Trefoil Guild is something that Iím going to have a look at.