Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lease Horror Story

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    We had a brilliant District Treasurer for many years. He was an accountant and did a really good job. He told us that he felt that Scouting had been really good for his son and he was staying on to say thankyou. It would have been madness to get him to leave just because he had clocked up a certain number of years.
    For a treasurer I agree, it's a technical role and one which is greatly objective. It's unlikely a treasurer will come up with innovative ideas or processes regarding their role. For the chair I can't agree. I think a good chair can make a great difference in a district or group, energising, leading. My experience in life is that those who change and move roles and take on new challenges bring new ideas, and that applies to Scouting. We must all know that leader who is running the same programme and summer camp activity on a 4 year rotation which works, numbers are steady and the section is popular - so what? But such a group will not welcome new blood and ideas, that leader will inevitably move on at some point in their lives leaving a gap, and you just won't get the energy and excitement that you get from change.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    I'm personally leaning towards the idea that for most Groups the charity (and banking services etc) should be at District level. Those more complex Groups with their own HQ excepted (though this could also be handled by having separate Scout Headquarters Trusts separate from operations, perhaps?), but it would be much easier to set up a new Group (or even standalone Section) if all you needed was "uniform".
    Sorry mate. Completely disagree. Our district has had dysfunctional finances for many years. Groups are excellently run. At least the groups have some skin in the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RisingStar View Post
    For a treasurer I agree, it's a technical role and one which is greatly objective. It's unlikely a treasurer will come up with innovative ideas or processes regarding their role. For the chair I can't agree. I think a good chair can make a great difference in a district or group, energising, leading. My experience in life is that those who change and move roles and take on new challenges bring new ideas, and that applies to Scouting. We must all know that leader who is running the same programme and summer camp activity on a 4 year rotation which works, numbers are steady and the section is popular - so what? But such a group will not welcome new blood and ideas, that leader will inevitably move on at some point in their lives leaving a gap, and you just won't get the energy and excitement that you get from change.
    Disagree again - I have seen real difference between useless treasurers and useful ones. The latter innovate, change, learn and deliver.

In my opinion, some of the issue is the name - it sounds run of the mill and boring

We should move to having "Head of Finance" or similar. Lets give the role some credit rather than just looking down on it (not suggesting you do - but many assume that as it doesn't wear a uniform, its not important)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,373 Times in 1,483 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by richardnhunt View Post
    We should move to having "Head of Finance" or similar. Lets give the role some credit rather than just looking down on it (not suggesting you do - but many assume that as it doesn't wear a uniform, its not important)
    Chair, Secretary and Treasurer are legal titles, so you would need to take that up with the Charities Commission.

TBH that's just bull**** bingo anyway. Someone who is managing a small Scout Group does not deserve the title "Head of Finance", that's something you'd have at a large corporation and implies you manage people as part of that department. It's like "refuse collection operative" (or worse "customer complaints manager" for someone with nobody under them) and the likes, or worse would probably attract unsuitable people who want to try to force their view on things.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,529 Times in 1,540 Posts
    At my last group, our treasurer was a chartered accountant and she reckoned there was as much work involved in doing the group accounts as a medium sized business. Be it a payment of £5 or £50,000, the process of accounting for it, reconciling it all, preparing the accounts and having them scrutinised/audited are pretty much identical. The difference is the scout group has an abnormally high number of payments!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk