Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: Summer Camp deposits and the lockdown

  1. #1
    Senior Member Fordy101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    269
    Thanks
    82
    Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts

    Summer Camp deposits and the lockdown

    Hi, all

    I hope that you and yours are all well and safe at the moment.

    We had booked and paid a deposit for our summer camp a good while ago (Last year). We recently made the decision to cancel due to the lockdown. Sadly the campsite have said that we can only have 50% of the deposit back or we can move the camp to later in the year/next year. We will be refunding the parents the deposit that they gave us so it looks like the group will be out of pocket.

    I discussed this all with the committee, especially around refunding part of the deposit money to parents (as some of it is spend and not reclaimable) but the committee decided that we should refund it all.

    I was wondering if anyone else has found themselves in the same situation and how their group handled it?
    Fordy


    I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

    ASL 6th Farnborough
    http://6thfarnboroughscouts.scoutsites.org.uk/

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    812
    Thanks
    103
    Thanked 353 Times in 221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fordy101 View Post
    Hi, all

    I hope that you and yours are all well and safe at the moment.

    We had booked and paid a deposit for our summer camp a good while ago (Last year). We recently made the decision to cancel due to the lockdown. Sadly the campsite have said that we can only have 50% of the deposit back or we can move the camp to later in the year/next year. We will be refunding the parents the deposit that they gave us so it looks like the group will be out of pocket.

    I discussed this all with the committee, especially around refunding part of the deposit money to parents (as some of it is spend and not reclaimable) but the committee decided that we should refund it all.

    I was wondering if anyone else has found themselves in the same situation and how their group handled it?
    From the other side... the campsite may well not be able to afford to refund everything. Deposits are often spent at the start of the season on site works. I'd say refunding 50% is quite generous.

    Personally I'd take the option of rebooking for the future and roll parents deposits forward. Not sure what id do for those who will have moved on by then... maybe agree to refund if the place is resold.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,611
    Thanks
    2,949
    Thanked 2,373 Times in 1,483 Posts
    Roll the booking forward a year, and if the Group can afford it still refund the parents' deposits, but maybe ask if they will roll forwards if you have difficulty affording that in the first instance.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Neil Williams For This Useful Post:

    shiftypete (20-05-2020)

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    South Coast
    Posts
    2,646
    Thanks
    572
    Thanked 645 Times in 398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fordy101 View Post
    Hi, all

    I hope that you and yours are all well and safe at the moment.

    We had booked and paid a deposit for our summer camp a good while ago (Last year). We recently made the decision to cancel due to the lockdown. Sadly the campsite have said that we can only have 50% of the deposit back or we can move the camp to later in the year/next year. We will be refunding the parents the deposit that they gave us so it looks like the group will be out of pocket.

    I discussed this all with the committee, especially around refunding part of the deposit money to parents (as some of it is spend and not reclaimable) but the committee decided that we should refund it all.

    I was wondering if anyone else has found themselves in the same situation and how their group handled it?
    Yes - exactly the situation which led to me creating the thread which has turned to a monster discussion on CV. In our case they wouldn't refund the deposit on the basis that if they did then they'd quickly go bankrupt and not be able to provide a service or further refunds. So we moved it forward a year.

    I think there are two possibilities for this site which was not TSA.

    1) The site remains open and allows campers within the remit and permissions of their own organisation. Of course if TSA don't allow camping this year then we have to cancel, it's our responsibility to do so, and we lose the deposit.

    2) The site is closed at the time of our camp and they have to refund (or issue a "voucher" as above).

    In neither case do we get the deposit back, but moving the camp a year at least we don't lose it.

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    1,045
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 112 Times in 57 Posts
    We had a group camp booked at our local campsite - options regarding deposit were
    1. move camp to a later date
    2. use deposits towards other activity bookings at the site
    3. loose deposit

    We took option 1 and simply rebooked for a exactly year later.

    We'd probably spent 50-100 on other costs which the Group is standing (some stuff will get used in any event) and parents will all have their deposits refunded in full.
    Kate, CSL (and GDB(S))
    1st Weald Brook Scout Group
    Brentwood, Essex
    www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk

  7. #6
    Scout Leader (Bosun) Nick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thatcham, Berkshire
    Posts
    842
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 143 Times in 83 Posts
    We refunded our parents the camp fees in full. We lost 20 per Scout that the camp didn't refund, however we had the reserves to cover this and also just received one of the grants from the local council as we own our own building so were able to cover the cost.

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    986
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 180 Times in 95 Posts
    where is the camp/was the camp due to be?

  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    218
    Thanks
    355
    Thanked 49 Times in 41 Posts
    We have had to do the same as our camp was on 1st weekend of lockdown and ban on face-2-face meeting

    We took the option to move the camp to later in the year (or even next) that Youlbury SAC offered us so no issues there. For parents we said we will move their fees to the new camp or if requested will refund. However if any ask for refunds we would lose the OSM/Gocardless fees as would have to give them the full amount and not the net.

    So far none have asked.
    Dave Ralphs
    Yarnton Scout Group (Treasurer)
    DofE Advisor & District Exec Member - Oxford Spires District
    http://yarntonscouts.org.uk/

    I work for O2, any posts are my own personal views & do not represent O2

  10. #9
    ESL and DESC ianw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    6,970
    Thanks
    1,613
    Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,416 Posts
    Same position, same decision. Actually, not talked to the campsite yet, but luckily the campsite deposit is only 10. We can swallow that I think.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

    Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

  11. #10
    Senior Member big chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    12,458
    Thanks
    2,037
    Thanked 3,529 Times in 1,540 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    Same position, same decision. Actually, not talked to the campsite yet, but luckily the campsite deposit is only 10. We can swallow that I think.
    oooo... someone's earning!

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

    ianw (20-05-2020)

  13. #11
    The unpaid help ASLChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,410
    Thanks
    1,031
    Thanked 690 Times in 459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fordy101 View Post
    Hi, all

    I hope that you and yours are all well and safe at the moment.

    We had booked and paid a deposit for our summer camp a good while ago (Last year). We recently made the decision to cancel due to the lockdown. Sadly the campsite have said that we can only have 50% of the deposit back or we can move the camp to later in the year/next year. We will be refunding the parents the deposit that they gave us so it looks like the group will be out of pocket.

    I discussed this all with the committee, especially around refunding part of the deposit money to parents (as some of it is spend and not reclaimable) but the committee decided that we should refund it all.

    I was wondering if anyone else has found themselves in the same situation and how their group handled it?
    IMHO it's bad governance to issue a full refund. What has been spent has been spent, and the deposit was non-refundable. You should roll the booking forward and offer parents a choice of rolling forward the current deposit or accepting a 50% refund (which is what you would have got if you had cancelled).


  14. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    812
    Thanks
    103
    Thanked 353 Times in 221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ASLChris View Post
    IMHO it's bad governance to issue a full refund. What has been spent has been spent, and the deposit was non-refundable. You should roll the booking forward and offer parents a choice of rolling forward the current deposit or accepting a 50% refund (which is what you would have got if you had cancelled).
    The problem is, at the moment unless the site have cancelled the booking it is the group that is cancelling "by choice" and not under any government or tsa instruction.

  15. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    986
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 180 Times in 95 Posts
    Over on 1st FB there have been reports of groups having difficultys with PGL, who have said that they are hopeful of opening up sometime before the summer holidays - the issue being is that if TSA still ays no F2F Scouting then you are potentialy in a difficult situation

  16. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,611
    Thanks
    2,949
    Thanked 2,373 Times in 1,483 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ASLChris View Post
    IMHO it's bad governance to issue a full refund.
    It is however good customer service, which is very important.

  17. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    812
    Thanks
    103
    Thanked 353 Times in 221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard T View Post
    Over on 1st FB there have been reports of groups having difficultys with PGL, who have said that they are hopeful of opening up sometime before the summer holidays - the issue being is that if TSA still ays no F2F Scouting then you are potentialy in a difficult situation
    PGL are in a dream world I think. Their core business is schools, youth groups, etc. They might be able to adapt during the holidays to focus more on families etc but they're unlikely to be allowed to stick kids in dorms this side of autumn.

    I suspect in reality what they're doing is holding out so that customers cancel rather than them. Plenty of hotels, wedding venues, etc are doing the same. Then they can come across as super generous by offering to transfer the deposit to a new date as a goodwill gesture rather than having to pay it back!

Similar Threads

  1. Summer Camp then...
    By ianw in forum Scouting Talk
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 27-08-2018, 09:18 AM
  2. Meal Deposits
    By Brownbeaver1991 in forum Scouting Talk
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 22-08-2017, 07:44 AM
  3. 4 day summer camp
    By rach77 in forum Scouting Talk
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-02-2016, 06:07 PM
  4. Tell me about your Summer Camp
    By Puzzledbyadream in forum Scouting Talk
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 09-09-2015, 02:41 PM
  5. Summer Camp or No Summer Camp... this is the question????
    By austin666 in forum Scouting Talk
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 24-08-2010, 10:46 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •