Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wher are they now?

Thanks

Wher are they now?

Just intended for some light entertainment. I searched for something and noticed names of users who used to post a lot but I haven't noticed recent posts for. I would hate to say what happened to -whoever- and find out they died but are there any lurkers out there who used to be frequent posters?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,328 Times in 1,805 Posts
    Many moved on to 1st FB

Eddie Langdown is a regular poster on FB , as is Marc Cattle, Simon Morley, Stephen Hannah, There are others that crop up, but I only see them on "other" FB Groups as I quit 1st FB due to the nastiness from certain people, who also used to be denizens of Escouts in some cases.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

Kev (22-05-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Just intended for some light entertainment. I searched for something and noticed names of users who used to post a lot but I haven't noticed recent posts for. I would hate to say what happened to -whoever- and find out they died but are there any lurkers out there who used to be frequent posters?
    I'm active on 1FB, because you can help others, engage in debate, and there's just a lot going on from good to ridiculous.

This site feels like chat between about 10 "old friends" - yes I do find that some people here feel like old friends ! but it's not exactly a forum for national debate !

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RisingStar For This Useful Post:

Kev (22-05-2020)

a quiver full of barbs merryweather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,839 Times in 1,083 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RisingStar View Post
    I'm active on 1FB, because you can help others, engage in debate, and there's just a lot going on from good to ridiculous.

This site feels like chat between about 10 "old friends" - yes I do find that some people here feel like old friends ! but it's not exactly a forum for national debate !
    I find that there are two very different choices:

1. Escouts - old, very staid, quite boring and full of old fogeys. Monitored - so you can't type **** or **** - so it's full of district people (I am a CC! Sounds like it. Waffling about useless POR)

2. 1FB - newer and more modern. Can have good debates and no one monitoring your posts by evil HQ. Everything is true and to the point.

On one of these some people ganged up and got a poster barred just because s/he argued you had to be careful with language when talking about pneumatic power rifles. You can use any gas N2, CO2, or O2 or H2 , who cares? It's just air! They also reported s/he to FB for using a silly and obviously false name!

I know which one I can use; if I had a choice.

TM
    going...going...still here...just

Thanks
    Does anyone know what happened to Dan from Bath/Bristol way? He was quite prolific on here for a time.
    James

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by merryweather View Post
    I find that there are two very different choices:

1. Escouts - old, very staid, quite boring and full of old fogeys. Monitored - so you can't type **** or **** - so it's full of district people (I am a CC! Sounds like it. Waffling about useless POR)

2. 1FB - newer and more modern. Can have good debates and no one monitoring your posts by evil HQ. Everything is true and to the point.

On one of these some people ganged up and got a poster barred just because s/he argued you had to be careful with language when talking about pneumatic power rifles. You can use any gas N2, CO2, or O2 or H2 , who cares? It's just air! They also reported s/he to FB for using a silly and obviously false name!

I know which one I can use; if I had a choice.

TM
    TBH i prefer the chat and banter on here, its more mature, more informed and usually accurate. I get fed up with 1st FB where you get the same questions asked over and over again and half the answers given are just plain wrong.
    Dave Ralphs
    Yarnton Scout Group (Treasurer)
    DofE Advisor & District Exec Member - Oxford Spires District
    http://yarntonscouts.org.uk/

I work for O2, any posts are my own personal views & do not represent O2

Thanks
    some of us are just really busy.....
    Paul Austin
    Kent Scouts SASU Water team
    G0AXQ, intrests in Scouting, Cycling, Hiking, anything on the water. seeing the young people achive.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,373 Times in 1,483 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    Many moved on to 1st FB

Eddie Langdown is a regular poster on FB , as is Marc Cattle, Simon Morley, Stephen Hannah, There are others that crop up, but I only see them on "other" FB Groups as I quit 1st FB due to the nastiness from certain people, who also used to be denizens of Escouts in some cases.
    There's also Scouts UK - Leaders which started off quiet but seems to be doing quite well now, with a generally good quality of debate. I think you have to be an active adult in Scouting (not specified if that includes BPSA, Navs etc) to join it however.

That and the pseudo-official "Managers and Trustees in Scouting - The Scouts UK".

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Neil Williams For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (23-05-2020)

Thanks
    1FB is noise, but there are many more useful FB groups now, 2nd FB was established to break from 1FB. The action is now happening elsewhere, just nostalgia here. Over 10k members in 1st virtual scout group, started about 8 weeks ago.
    If it was easy, it wouldn't be so much fun...
    GSL 1st Aylburton & Lydney, TA, ESL(YL), District Campsite Warden & webmanager .....only 1 hour a week, they said (not pointing out that was what was left)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonhhjh View Post
    Does anyone know what happened to Dan from Bath/Bristol way? He was quite prolific on here for a time.
    No longer involved in Scouting.
    Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mang21 View Post
    No longer involved in Scouting.

I'm in touch with Dan from time to time. He is doing fine and last time we spoke he was running a commercial outdoor company.
    Ewan Scott

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

dralphs (23-05-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,373 Times in 1,483 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    1FB is noise, but there are many more useful FB groups now, 2nd FB was established to break from 1FB. The action is now happening elsewhere, just nostalgia here. Over 10k members in 1st virtual scout group, started about 8 weeks ago.
    1FB is dying. The UK talk is moving primarily to Scouts UK - Leaders, and the whiners who kept complaining that the group was UK-biased are not replacing the UK posts with international posts. I give it a few months now.

Thanks
    I used to be a regular here but I lost interest. I dipped in the other week and I was put off by “regulars” who, in some cases are not even in involved in Scouting (Bushfella excepted!), moaning on. Previously, I would have asked for input from the eScouts community for Projects I am running but now I don’t value the input.

(I bet Dramatist is fuming in his little bit of Scouting heaven!)
    Steve Buckley
    District Commissioner,
    Isle of Anglesey
    Wales

18. The Following User Says Thank You to zzbuckley For This Useful Post:

TRH (Yesterday)

Thanks
    Not sure if I ever counted as frequent. I had a couple of years off as travel/work (& real life) and Scouts were not compatible and have been lurking recently as I consider rejoining. On the positive side Compass seems to be less of a pressing problem than it used to be. On the less positive side the interesting approaches to communication and training seem to have become even more interesting. Still, it looks as if I will be able to delay a little longer.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zzbuckley View Post
    I used to be a regular here but I lost interest. I dipped in the other week and I was put off by “regulars” who, in some cases are not even in involved in Scouting (Bushfella excepted!), moaning on. Previously, I would have asked for input from the eScouts community for Projects I am running but now I don’t value the input.

(I bet Dramatist is fuming in his little bit of Scouting heaven!)

Not sure how to take that

If I may, I think that you are being just a little unfair on dismissing the value of the input from posters here.

It has become a distillation of what it was. and that is all of our loss, but there is still some merit in much of what is said. Even though I disagree with much that one of our current members posts, his input does make one think - sometimes not things I might put in black and white, nonetheless

I'd be happy to see you back. I do think that one of the problems is that a number here go back a long way - UKRS was a lifetime ago - Neil Williams was a spotty-faced youth. It has become a clique. I dropped out for a while, but I missed it. I missed old friends here.

Some who have moved on, I keep in contact with through FB. Some crop up on completely unrelated sites.
    Ewan Scott

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

zzbuckley (24-05-2020)