Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Sharing OSM Data with HQ

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    It does matter because all those adults have already provided that info to TSA (via a Adult Info Form or by inputting it directly into Compass) so should already know that TSA has access to that info.
    But it’s your group’s data held under your specific GDPR statement so an adult would have the same expectation as a youth member use of that data. The fact that the TSA hold similar data on a different system is in my opinion not relevant.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,530 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big George View Post
    But it’s your group’s data held under your specific GDPR statement so an adult would have the same expectation as a youth member use of that data. The fact that the TSA hold similar data on a different system is in my opinion not relevant.
    Why? There is no sensible grounds for an adult to object to the transfer of data that HQ already have and require as a condition of membership. It's just petty objection for objection's sake, and the sort of thing that gives GDPR a bad name. It would get laughed straight out of Court if it even got there.

The only people who may be adversely affected, requiring careful consideration, are non-DBSed adults who aren't also parents, if you have any, or I guess non-DBSed adults who are parents who would object to their DoB being shared (though you could always enter a "dummy" false one e.g. 1/1/1900, as indeed I do have against adults in OSM as I have no need for their DoB in there). I suspect these people are in tiny numbers, and it'd probably be as easy just to delete them off OSM.
    Last edited by Neil Williams; 24-06-2020 at 09:11 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neil Williams For This Useful Post:

RisingStar (25-06-2020),shiftypete (26-06-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    Why? There is no sensible grounds for an adult to object to the transfer of data that HQ already have and require as a condition of membership. It's just petty objection for objection's sake, and the sort of thing that gives GDPR a bad name. It would get laughed straight out of Court if it even got there.

The only people who may be adversely affected, requiring careful consideration, are non-DBSed adults who aren't also parents, if you have any, or I guess non-DBSed adults who are parents who would object to their DoB being shared (though you could always enter a "dummy" false one e.g. 1/1/1900, as indeed I do have against adults in OSM as I have no need for their DoB in there). I suspect these people are in tiny numbers, and it'd probably be as easy just to delete them off OSM.
    We stored adults DOB's in there... our old GSL liked to send birthday cards to any leaders whose birthdays were approaching, and as a bit of a technophobe could just about cope with finding the data in OSM (where it was listed as "upcoming birthdays") but didnt want to trawl through Compass.

We did have a "section" in OSM which consisted of largely non-DBSd adults.... they were the "service crew" of parent volunteers who did the hall cleaning, etc... and the regular fundriasing volunteers. The section was set up so that the volunteers who co-ordinated them (members of the exec) could have access to their contact details etc, but so that the data was still kept within a system that we could manage as a group. From memory we had people set up in patrols according to their usual function (e.g. whether they were a fundraiser, a cleaner, or someone on the grass mowing rota!)

I guess as there would be no logical "Need" for that data to go to HQ, it might have presented a problem.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,530 Posts
    No, though you'd just not link that "Section" up to an actual Section and so it wouldn't transfer.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 887 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by campwarden View Post
    We did have a "section" in OSM which consisted of largely non-DBSd adults.... they were the "service crew" of parent volunteers who did the hall cleaning, etc... and the regular fundriasing volunteers. The section was set up so that the volunteers who co-ordinated them (members of the exec) could have access to their contact details etc, but so that the data was still kept within a system that we could manage as a group. From memory we had people set up in patrols according to their usual function (e.g. whether they were a fundraiser, a cleaner, or someone on the grass mowing rota!)
    Sounds like an Active Support Unit to me

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL
    2002 - 2018 AESL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shiftypete For This Useful Post:

BigBadBaloo (26-06-2020),dralphs (26-06-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    Sounds like an Active Support Unit to me
    We would have loved to set up a group ASU... but district wouldnt let groups do it. SO instead we had an informal arrangement of volunteers, and we needed a means of managing their data which was compliant with the then Data Protection Act (and later GDPR)

What we didnt want, for example, was the group chair keeping their own list of all the parents who helped with the hall... and the group fundraising rep keeping a list of parents who had signed up to help with fundraising events, and the inherent risk of bits of paper getting mislaid, etc.

nele
    Thanks
    We would have loved to set up a group ASU... but district wouldnt let groups do it. SO instead we had an informal arrangement of volunteers, and we needed a means of managing their data which was compliant with the then Data Protection Act (and later GDPR)

What we didnt want, for example, was the group chair keeping their own list of all the parents who helped with the hall... and the group fundraising rep keeping a list of parents who had signed up to help with fundraising events, and the inherent risk of bits of paper getting mislaid, etc.
    given that SAS now apparently have to do mod 1, ongoing training, GDPR and be DBS'd you probably saved yourself a lot of admin trouble, for people who were grass cutting etc

Thanks
    We would have loved to set up a group ASU... but district wouldnt let groups do it..
    I thought the decision to set up a group ASU was solely a group one?

We certainly set up an ASU on our own initiative as a means to circumvent a personality clash at district level.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to London Scouter For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (28-06-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by London Scouter View Post
    I thought the decision to set up a group ASU was solely a group one?

We certainly set up an ASU on our own initiative as a means to circumvent a personality clash at district level.
    In hindsight we should have heard the "local rules" alarm bell jangling loudly