Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Planning for AFTER Lockdown

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,567 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    I don't know what any of that means. I assume it's football related... And something a Scottish footballer did?

I'm pretty sure if you toted up all the national sporting navel-gazing that goes on around past football triumphs, England would win that particular cup hands down.

It's what football fans do. Nostalgia is king. It's like summer camps.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,512 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    It's what football fans do. Nostalgia is king. It's like summer camps.

In Scotland, nostalgia and sport, is known as resignation.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,386 Times in 1,843 Posts
    I don't know what any of that means. I assume it's football related... And something a Scottish footballer did?

I'm pretty sure if you toted up all the national sporting navel-gazing that goes on around past football triumphs, England would win that particular cup hands down.

Ah, but we Scots have a penchant for past glories - wins and defeats. Our folk music is littered with tales of battles won and lost - Sherrifmuir, Killiecrankie, Prestonpans, Bannockburn, Stirling Bridge, Cromdale (a two for one), Flodden, Culloden, and many more. We have our tales of glory, or deeds done, heroes and heroines. We lament the past - and how. The Lament is part of our culture. Pa_Broon can tell you all about the Pipe laments I am sure

I do suspect though that whilst there is an element of that languishing in the past that has driven nationalism, I also suspect that languishing has passed its peak as nationalism has matured. Perhaps as the nation starts to understand itself and its potential, there is less need to hark back - though, I believe that in the interim, the anthem for Scotland should be Olden Glory.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    Ah, but we Scots have a penchant for past glories - wins and defeats. Our folk music is littered with tales of battles won and lost - Sherrifmuir, Killiecrankie, Prestonpans, Bannockburn, Stirling Bridge, Cromdale (a two for one), Flodden, Culloden, and many more. We have our tales of glory, or deeds done, heroes and heroines. We lament the past - and how. The Lament is part of our culture. Pa_Broon can tell you all about the Pipe laments I am sure

I do suspect though that whilst there is an element of that languishing in the past that has driven nationalism, I also suspect that languishing has passed its peak as nationalism has matured. Perhaps as the nation starts to understand itself and its potential, there is less need to hark back - though, I believe that in the interim, the anthem for Scotland should be Olden Glory.
    I've always found any sense of sanitized nostalgic history to be cringeworthy. History is totally fine, but to imbue it with qualities it never had, or use some bastardised version of it to affect, justify or assuage some current calamity, political objective or emotional whim, just gives me the boak.

Getting back on topic. Due to the divergence in progress with C19, I now read ScotGov are getting pelters for suggesting they might need to quarantine people coming over the border. The press are doing its usual thing and telling it's ever diminishing readership that 'English' people would be quarantined, when actually, it's any people... Our rules on travel are already different, (I've never really been able to figure out how someone from anywhere else can drop into an airport and not travel more than 5 miles from it...)

I think we've had three or four days of no C19 deaths now. Funnily enough, opposition parties have had very little to say about it.

Thanks
    I've always found any sense of sanitized nostalgic history to be cringeworthy. History is totally fine, but to imbue it with qualities it never had, or use some bastardised version of it to affect, justify or assuage some current calamity, political objective or emotional whim, just gives me the boak.

Getting back on topic. Due to the divergence in progress with C19, I now read ScotGov are getting pelters for suggesting they might need to quarantine people coming over the border. The press are doing its usual thing and telling it's ever diminishing readership that 'English' people would be quarantined, when actually, it's any people... Our rules on travel are already different, (I've never really been able to figure out how someone from anywhere else can drop into an airport and not travel more than 5 miles from it...)

I think we've had three or four days of no C19 deaths now. Funnily enough, opposition parties have had very little to say about it.

On history - that is what people do.

On travel and the border. One local businessman made a trip up to Scotland. I guess he felt it was essential - he had also been to Japan and Gernamy in the middle of the pandemic - he drove up to Glasgow, then up to Inverness and back down to Yorkshire via Edinburgh - in a single day. Now, the only redeeming factor I can see in that trip was that he would hardly have had time to speak to anyone for any length of time, so opportunities for any contamination were limited. 800 miles and 15 hours of driving!

Opposition silent and news media somewhat muted...
    Ewan Scott

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 887 Posts
    he drove up to Glasgow, then up to Inverness and back down to Yorkshire via Edinburgh - in a single day
    Wow, one of my Aunts lives in Inverness and the trip up there from Leeds is gruelling enough without doing the return trip in the same day!

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL
    2002 - 2018 AESL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    On history - that is what people do.

On travel and the border. One local businessman made a trip up to Scotland. I guess he felt it was essential - he had also been to Japan and Gernamy in the middle of the pandemic - he drove up to Glasgow, then up to Inverness and back down to Yorkshire via Edinburgh - in a single day. Now, the only redeeming factor I can see in that trip was that he would hardly have had time to speak to anyone for any length of time, so opportunities for any contamination were limited. 800 miles and 15 hours of driving!

Opposition silent and news media somewhat muted...
    I thought Prince Charles flew...

Thanks
    I think the outbreak in India kind of blows that bollox theory out of the water. I think the sun in India beats that in Seattle - unless, of course, it is blotted out by emissions from plants burning our waste ...
    It depends what you take the theory to be. If you take it simplistically to be that transmission cannot happen in a sunny country, then clearly that theory would be wrong (as transmission can still take place indoors and at night and in the period before the virus is killed). If the theory is that transmission risks are lower in the summer sun than in other conditions, India neither proves nor disproves it.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IvanOpinion For This Useful Post:

Bushfella (30-06-2020),campwarden (30-06-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,567 Posts
    https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/sta...691273728?s=19

This is terrifying

Thanks
    https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/sta...691273728?s=19

This is terrifying

I have been waiting for the news to break about cases locally, but still nothing...
    Ewan Scott

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

big chris (30-06-2020),London Scouter (01-07-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,530 Posts
    It's wilfully incompetent and probably going to cost Leicestrians (?) a lot of money by not affording them the opportunity to correct the issue they were having before it got too big, but I'm not clear why it's terrifying.

The national figures do include Pillar 2. Just the regional ones don't.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 887 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    It's wilfully incompetent and probably going to cost Leicestrians (?) a lot of money by not affording them the opportunity to correct the issue they were having before it got too big, but I'm not clear why it's terrifying.

Because it means they have no real idea where is having peaks in infections until they have already become serious outbreaks

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL
    2002 - 2018 AESL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks

What's also terrifying is so many of these outbreaks are occuring in places where hygiene should already be at the forefront - food processing plants. I appreciate that these places have recirculated air systems, refrigerations, a lack of natural daylight, etc. but equally they should be places where hand washing / PPE wearing are already a part of day to day life.

I agree that the way the figures are presented is incompetent. My thoughts are with all the small businesses who have just invested in reopening, or preparing to reopen this weekend... particularly pubs and restaurants who now potentially face throwing stock away for the 2nd time.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,530 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    Because it means they have no real idea where is having peaks in infections until they have already become serious outbreaks
    Central Government does, they just aren't publishing it.

Thanks
    Central Government does, they just aren't publishing it.
    I guess there's pros and cons to it - but in Leicester they certainly left it too late. I can understand not wanting to cause "panic" in an area.

There needs to be a super-strict crackdown on employers forcing staff to come in even when they have covid symptoms (as the papers today certainly suggest this is a large part of the reason behind the leicester outbreak). And the government really need to be starting a scheme of surprise workplace inspections to check that they are actually putting Covid precautions into place. I'm not talking about retail premises (which have largely done an excellent job - not least because it would be blatantly obvious if they didnt) but places like factories and offices, where bad practice could easily go unseen. I can guarantee there are factories in Leicester, Birmingham and other cities running in unsuitable victorian premises on back streets, tucked away out of sight, and operating with multiple breaches of H&S law at the best of times - and that many of these won't be covid secure.

Boris wants to create lots of jobs and boost the economy - it shouldnt take long to hire and train up some additional H&S inspectors