Page 58 of 62 FirstFirst ... 848545556575859606162 LastLast
Results 856 to 870 of 917

Thread: Planning for AFTER Lockdown

  1. #856
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    485
    Thanks
    145
    Thanked 175 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by campwarden View Post
    I'd argue that the ideal management committee for any charity will delegate most responsibilities to those who are best skilled for the task, and as a committee act as a final governance check.

    So, for example, if the task is to create a new storage shed at the hq - the QM and GSL might go off and create a design, passing it on to a parent who works as a builder to sense check and cost up. The plan would then be presented to the exec to approve.

    Rather than the exec sitting down with a blank sheet of paper and arguing over whether the tents should go on the left or right hand side.

    I've seen community events that are "run by committee", and its a painful process. Far better for a team of people to each take on aspects of the event and report back. The person organising the stage acts doesn't need to get involved in the fairground rides or the parking arrangements for example.
    Too close to home. I think Tent drying shed has been on the agenda for five years. It is desperately needed, exec have spent hours on the subject and still no drying shed.

    I actually got chills this week when someone said they were doing x and that IMO brought it closer to actually started.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #857
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,922
    Thanks
    3,138
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,594 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wealdbrook View Post
    Managed to attach the file
    Cheers for that. Had a quick read through and it's nothing if not comprehensive - shame Compass didn't deliver on it as it could have been really quite good.

  3. #858
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    1,305
    Thanks
    196
    Thanked 550 Times in 341 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by claire.shadbolt View Post
    Too close to home. I think Tent drying shed has been on the agenda for five years. It is desperately needed, exec have spent hours on the subject and still no drying shed.

    I actually got chills this week when someone said they were doing x and that IMO brought it closer to actually started.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A case in point. Someone should be tasked with taking it forward and coming back with a plan and costing for approval

    If thoughts of section leaders etc are needed then a brief discussion of "needs" at a leaders meeting may be worthwhile. Repeated long discussions at exec, where many of those involved won't have any real knowledge of what is needed, is pointless.

    Appoint a project lead and let them get on with it up to the point of needing to spend money

  4. #859
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,950
    Thanks
    2,397
    Thanked 1,725 Times in 1,203 Posts
    I think committees need to learn to let go. Appoint someone qualified and let them get on with it. Expect (ask for) regular updates but once the parameters have been decided, then no more committee inteference.

    I'm still doing the bogs in our hall. We've talked about that for decades - literally for twenty years or more. In the end, the committee agreed it needed done, so I went ahead did it/doing it.

    At one point, there were plans to do them, that also involved putting another storey on one end of the hall. We also couldn't quite get past the notion of whether to have a shower or not (not finally...) Were we going to have a disabled bog (yes), unisex or not, (former).

    I think committees need to take an overview, and once tasks are delegated, they should probably step back.

    IT stuff? I do that at work. I've been trying to roll out replacement project management software. My team are used to having a bespoke system. But it's now 25 years old. The new software is off the shelf - and managing expectations has been a huge challenge. We have been able to make some changes, but that's been a mixed blessing, because it means users have been asking for changes the supplier won't do - and telling users this has been incredibly frustrating.

    For me, I've had all of the responsibility for it, but none of the authority. So that's also been messed up. This is NHS stuff, so you know... We're much better now than we used to be. And to be fair, in my wee bit of things, the cost (because it's off the shelf) is minimal. (Still really annoying trying to explain why they can't have functions in terms they can understand though.)

  5. #860
    Veteran lurker
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    South
    Posts
    119
    Thanks
    794
    Thanked 73 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wealdbrook View Post
    Managed to attach the file
    I had to smile at this:
    3.4 OUTSTANDING ISSUES
    Is the project timeline realistic and achievable?
    Is the scope of work unrealistic?

    Who needs hindsight when it's there in writing.

  6. #861
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,950
    Thanks
    2,397
    Thanked 1,725 Times in 1,203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itchen View Post
    I had to smile at this:
    3.4 OUTSTANDING ISSUES
    Is the project timeline realistic and achievable?
    Is the scope of work unrealistic?

    Who needs hindsight when it's there in writing.
    It is applicable to other more recent policies too...

  7. #862
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    It is applicable to other more recent policies too...
    Agreed! It will be interesting if at all possible to see whether groups are actually responding to the requirements for written risk assessments, as it isn't a quick task and how to say it, rather boring!

    At our Scout Group, we have 20 RAs down on paper which covers majority of the groups activities and we have a final few maintenance RAs to complete before we put these into the folder in the Scout hut. At 30 minutes to write a risk assessment plus 15 minutes for reviewing/ attending meetings, it is nearly a full 24 hours to complete the work. However, we have used senior leadership time and Group Exec volunteer time to carry this out, rather than burdening our leaders on the 'front line'.

    I would put money that this folder never gets opened, gets rather dusty and RAs don't get reviewed for a long time....

    What is more important for me as a GSL safety wise is to regularly pop into groups to see how they are doing (once a term unless there is an issue) and in the progress share tips and guidance.
    Last edited by Simon11; 18-11-2020 at 11:08 AM.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon11 For This Useful Post:

    pa_broon74 (18-11-2020)

  9. #863
    ASL wealdbrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,316
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked 609 Times in 263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itchen View Post
    I had to smile at this:
    3.4 OUTSTANDING ISSUES
    Is the project timeline realistic and achievable?
    Is the scope of work unrealistic?

    Who needs hindsight when it's there in writing.
    The answer is to bury bad news!
    John Alexander,
    ASL and Assistant Webmaster
    1st Weald Brook
    http://www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk

  10. #864
    ASL wealdbrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,316
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked 609 Times in 263 Posts
    So, we had a Troop Zoom meeting - it was based on a scenario from Christian Aid about a family in Philippines who were told they had 10 minutes to collect everything they could carry before their house was washed away in the floods. To suit it being Zoom rather than in groups around a table I converted it to a Powerpoint. Having made their lists of the things they would take the story unfolded with a series of disasters where items were washed away, given to others in need, lost, etc. and then at the end what did they have left and could they survive and rebuild their lives. (World Challenge material box ticked).
    They had a reasonable go at it (or did they just humour us?) but mainly they just wanted to spend the time chatting and chat they did! For about 10 minutes we just left them to it because it was obviously what they needed especially since one is isolating due to a classmate testing positive.
    I think when we get back to F2F we are going to need to plan for a lot of chatting.
    John Alexander,
    ASL and Assistant Webmaster
    1st Weald Brook
    http://www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk

  11. #865
    Senior Member Bushfella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Huddersfield
    Posts
    16,711
    Thanks
    687
    Thanked 3,579 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wealdbrook View Post
    So, we had a Troop Zoom meeting - it was based on a scenario from Christian Aid about a family in Philippines who were told they had 10 minutes to collect everything they could carry before their house was washed away in the floods. To suit it being Zoom rather than in groups around a table I converted it to a Powerpoint. Having made their lists of the things they would take the story unfolded with a series of disasters where items were washed away, given to others in need, lost, etc. and then at the end what did they have left and could they survive and rebuild their lives. (World Challenge material box ticked).
    They had a reasonable go at it (or did they just humour us?) but mainly they just wanted to spend the time chatting and chat they did! For about 10 minutes we just left them to it because it was obviously what they needed especially since one is isolating due to a classmate testing positive.
    I think when we get back to F2F we are going to need to plan for a lot of chatting.


    Since departing Scouts and forming Navigators, I have realised that the greater part of what we do is socialising and that chat is key to keeping things going.
    Ewan Scott

    It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....





    Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers



    www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

  12. #866
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,950
    Thanks
    2,397
    Thanked 1,725 Times in 1,203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    Since departing Scouts and forming Navigators, I have realised that the greater part of what we do is socialising and that chat is key to keeping things going.
    Indeed.

    That was the direction our Zoom meetings went. I was happy about it - but - it did mean the kids who were not quite so loquacious dropped out. If I had one suggestions for Zoom, it would be for attendees to be able to create their own sub-rooms (supervisable by meeting host) so they could break out into smaller groups of their own volition.

    A question I'd have is, we have no illusions about our meetings, the priority for our scouts is they get to do stuff with their pals - it is a social thing first for them. That's why I think Zoom didn't work for us, I think (not sure what others think) that with Zoom meetings, you need to be a lot tighter with your planning, more focused with your activity's aims - and that automatically comes if your scouting follows the program.

    Have sections that follow 'the program' faired better (in terms of f2f and Zoom meetings) than those who don't?

  13. #867
    ASL wealdbrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,316
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked 609 Times in 263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    Indeed.

    That was the direction our Zoom meetings went. I was happy about it - but - it did mean the kids who were not quite so loquacious dropped out. If I had one suggestions for Zoom, it would be for attendees to be able to create their own sub-rooms (supervisable by meeting host) so they could break out into smaller groups of their own volition.

    A question I'd have is, we have no illusions about our meetings, the priority for our scouts is they get to do stuff with their pals - it is a social thing first for them. That's why I think Zoom didn't work for us, I think (not sure what others think) that with Zoom meetings, you need to be a lot tighter with your planning, more focused with your activity's aims - and that automatically comes if your scouting follows the program.

    Have sections that follow 'the program' faired better (in terms of f2f and Zoom meetings) than those who don't?
    We don't follow the programme because there isn't one. We put together a range of activities which we think we develop the young people and that they will get satisfaction from (even if they don't expect to enjoy them at the time). We do look at the Challenge badges and we look at what each of them has already done so that if we can we will try and find something in the areas where most of them need something. But even then the idea is to have an enjoyable activity with learning opportunities (and learning includes risk taking, experiences, teamwork, making mistakes and maturing as a human).

    Zoom is tough - it is hard to find many Scout things you can do - the whole idea of Scouting for that age group is teamwork, adventure, new skills, games, development and they don't work well virtually. We have tried to find things which interest them on a computer screen and relate to Scouting but it is not always easy and we sometimes kid ourselves there is a link to Scouting! That is part of the reason we are only zooming every fortnight because it is pretty exhausting for the Leaders and we want it to be fun for us as well. But we are maintaining our numbers and have had a new Scout start during the last month.
    John Alexander,
    ASL and Assistant Webmaster
    1st Weald Brook
    http://www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk

  14. #868
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,950
    Thanks
    2,397
    Thanked 1,725 Times in 1,203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wealdbrook View Post
    We don't follow the programme because there isn't one. We put together a range of activities which we think we develop the young people and that they will get satisfaction from (even if they don't expect to enjoy them at the time). We do look at the Challenge badges and we look at what each of them has already done so that if we can we will try and find something in the areas where most of them need something. But even then the idea is to have an enjoyable activity with learning opportunities (and learning includes risk taking, experiences, teamwork, making mistakes and maturing as a human).

    Zoom is tough - it is hard to find many Scout things you can do - the whole idea of Scouting for that age group is teamwork, adventure, new skills, games, development and they don't work well virtually. We have tried to find things which interest them on a computer screen and relate to Scouting but it is not always easy and we sometimes kid ourselves there is a link to Scouting! That is part of the reason we are only zooming every fortnight because it is pretty exhausting for the Leaders and we want it to be fun for us as well. But we are maintaining our numbers and have had a new Scout start during the last month.
    We're the same. We try to bring the kids along - I think the most important thing we do is build confidence, everything else (all the things you listed there) comes from that. It's incredibly satisfying to see them come right out of their shells over the course of their time in the section.

    I suppose, in terms of the program, what I sort of meant was ticking the boxes and awarding the badges. I think for some that is the priority and it lends a sense of order and provides a more school-like tone (whether they mean to or not...) I wonder if for those groups Zoom and f2f meetings are, not easier, but perhaps more prescriptive, if you see what I mean.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

    Bushfella (21-11-2020)

  16. #869
    Senior Member Bushfella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Huddersfield
    Posts
    16,711
    Thanks
    687
    Thanked 3,579 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    We're the same. We try to bring the kids along - I think the most important thing we do is build confidence, everything else (all the things you listed there) comes from that. It's incredibly satisfying to see them come right out of their shells over the course of their time in the section.

    I suppose, in terms of the program, what I sort of meant was ticking the boxes and awarding the badges. I think for some that is the priority and it lends a sense of order and provides a more school-like tone (whether they mean to or not...) I wonder if for those groups Zoom and f2f meetings are, not easier, but perhaps more prescriptive, if you see what I mean.
    I touched on this previously, I suspect that if your Scouts/ Explorers are used to playing hard, adventure and physical experiences, they may well be very different from the badge-chasers, or the strict disciplinarians ( often one and the same- not always) and those used to the "action" programme, will be less likely to take to Zoom.

    (Had a borderline Zoom meeting the other night - only two turned up - but they were two that I thought I had lost).
    Ewan Scott

    It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....





    Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers



    www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

  17. #870
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,950
    Thanks
    2,397
    Thanked 1,725 Times in 1,203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    I touched on this previously, I suspect that if your Scouts/ Explorers are used to playing hard, adventure and physical experiences, they may well be very different from the badge-chasers, or the strict disciplinarians ( often one and the same- not always) and those used to the "action" programme, will be less likely to take to Zoom.

    (Had a borderline Zoom meeting the other night - only two turned up - but they were two that I thought I had lost).
    We'd tried to move away from the ,more physical side, but when they first come in before we start proper, it only takes them (pretty much all of them) about a millisecond to start knocking lumps our of each other under the guise of some ball game with elusive, possibly non-existent rules. Our actual night rarely includes anything which includes contact like that. (Except if it's obvious they're all hyper, then the easiest thing is to let them get on with it and manage it as best we can. Trying to do anything cerebral or subtle is a waste of time.)

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

    Bushfella (21-11-2020)

Similar Threads

  1. Are TSA in the same lockdown as us?
    By wealdbrook in forum Scouting Talk
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-06-2020, 07:30 AM
  2. Summer Camp deposits and the lockdown
    By Fordy101 in forum Scouting Talk
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 30-05-2020, 09:20 PM
  3. Scouting coming out of Lockdown
    By marcush in forum Scouting Talk
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 25-05-2020, 09:32 AM
  4. Planning help???
    By trulee in forum Scouting Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 14-08-2012, 09:51 PM
  5. Planning in the Pub
    By wealdbrook in forum Scouting Talk
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 18-03-2012, 09:27 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •