Page 65 of 80 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975 ... LastLast

Thread: Planning for AFTER Lockdown

Thanks
    I have booked campsites for a few camps for this year and have told our parents the dates. That is as far as we have gone!

If we can camp, we can start planning and collect payments closer to camp. If we cant camp, we move the deposit to next year and waste no further time.

Thanks
    Depending on exactly how the restrictions are lifted, I can see that this summer might possibly be a very busy one for a lot of people - there's quite a bit of "catching up" to do and I suspect that Scout camps might have more comptition than usual. On the other hand if restrictions are less tight for "youth activities" than for the general public, camps might be in high demand.
    Kate, ACSL (Rikki)
    1st Weald Brook Scout Group
    Brentwood, Essex
    www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Beaver View Post
    Depending on exactly how the restrictions are lifted, I can see that this summer might possibly be a very busy one for a lot of people - there's quite a bit of "catching up" to do and I suspect that Scout camps might have more comptition than usual. On the other hand if restrictions are less tight for "youth activities" than for the general public, camps might be in high demand.
    Personally i would be booking a local site this year... so if camping still isn't possible we could do a few days of "day camp" instead and run it a bit like a holiday club for our members. If camping over is allowed that then becomes a bonus.

Just a thought.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to campwarden For This Useful Post:

BalooNav (09-02-2021),dralphs (02-02-2021)

Thanks
    Such a fab idea Campwarden! I have booked our a campsite for our week long camp in August and if we can't camp, we may be able to make a few day visits to enjoy the activities and do a few scouty things.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by campwarden View Post
    Personally i would be booking a local site this year... so if camping still isn't possible we could do a few days of "day camp" instead and run it a bit like a holiday club for our members. If camping over is allowed that then becomes a bonus.

Just a thought.
    Great idea. Perhaps TSA should be working towards that with all their centres and the other scout owned sites and then if camping is allowed its win-win
    Dave Ralphs
    Retiring Yarnton Scout Group (Treasurer)
    Former DofE Advisor & District Exec Member - Oxford Spires
    http://yarntonscouts.org.uk/

I work for O2, any posts are my own personal views & do not represent O2

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon11 View Post
    Such a fab idea Campwarden! I have booked our a campsite for our week long camp in August and if we can't camp, we may be able to make a few day visits to enjoy the activities and do a few scouty things.
    This is my plan. We carried our summer camp booking over to this year. The parents have the dates and the cost so they can budget but they know it will be a late decision. If we can't run a week camp, I intend to do day activities like hikes or similar over the same week if we can. Rather have something pencilled in now than have to worry about finding something last minute.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,684 Times in 1,986 Posts
    So many things to plan - but no way we can set dates, or have a single clue as to numbers.

IF schools go back on 8th March, we may go to Amber - but I may or may not be the only member of our team to have been vaccinated. The rest are looking at June or July, or later.

I remember the last meeting, when I knew in my gut they were probably going to be the last for some time, we were talking of what was coming - and it all got flushed, along with the interest and hopes of the kids. Having a negative day today as I can't see us being in a position to meet till maybe September. Responses to notices are diminishing.

I'm avoiding doing another Zoom meeting because I fear that no-one will turn up.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dralphs View Post
    Great idea. Perhaps TSA should be working towards that with all their centres and the other scout owned sites and then if camping is allowed its win-win
    Scout Adventures website says both Downe & Woodhouse Park closed in 2021 - but for info. on their other centres, you have to contact them.
    Hertfordshire never reopened their Centres until early November, and then had to shut almost immediately
    Buckinghamshire- Braidwood - website has nothing about Covid19 at all

Nothing on their websites about when they might reopen, and what their plans for 2021 might look like when they do open - you have to ring them
    I do realise it is hard for those who are trying to run campsites - but why make people ring you for basic info.?
    A week of camp life is worth six months of theoretical teaching in the meeting room. Baden-Powell

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnL View Post
    Scout Adventures website says both Downe & Woodhouse Park closed in 2021 - but for info. on their other centres, you have to contact them.
    Hertfordshire never reopened their Centres until early November, and then had to shut almost immediately
    Buckinghamshire- Braidwood - website has nothing about Covid19 at all

Nothing on their websites about when they might reopen, and what their plans for 2021 might look like when they do open - you have to ring them
    I do realise it is hard for those who are trying to run campsites - but why make people ring you for basic info.?
    Especially if the people likely to answer that phone are furloughed.
    Dave Ralphs
    Retiring Yarnton Scout Group (Treasurer)
    Former DofE Advisor & District Exec Member - Oxford Spires
    http://yarntonscouts.org.uk/

I work for O2, any posts are my own personal views & do not represent O2

Thanks
    What is everyone's thoughts on when we might return to our weekly meetings (for sections/ groups that are ready)? Get your crystal ball ready!

With schools returning hopefully in England on 8th March, there is a slimmer of a chance scouting could return then, otherwise hopefully we could meet before Easter?

With the first lockdown, did scouting return in line with schools?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,737 Times in 1,631 Posts
    Summer camp? I'm calling it. Time of Death 09:41 on 16 February.

I have provisionally booked a camp for my family and one other leader's family the same week. That might at least be allowed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon11 View Post
    What is everyone's thoughts on when we might return to our weekly meetings (for sections/ groups that are ready)? Get your crystal ball ready!

With schools returning hopefully in England on 8th March, there is a slimmer of a chance scouting could return then, otherwise hopefully we could meet before Easter?

With the first lockdown, did scouting return in line with schools?
    My guess would be easter. Maybe outdoor only at first (which should be relatively easy over the summer term). Back to indoor with reduced groups not too long after Easter and maybe back to camping in time for the summer holidays

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post

I have provisionally booked a camp for my family and one other leader's family the same week. That might at least be allowed.
    I still live in hope for summer camp!

My American troop in Illinois who I spent two years with are still able to camp and a few weeks back did they annual winter camp in snow! Considering how high their case/ death rate is in the US, they honestly don't seem to care much about Covid compared to the UK and certainly raises a few eye balls!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post

That's a bit pessimistic Chris. Realiatically I can't see any harm in planning something local and holding out until either a few weeks before or until tsa/nya specifically say it won't happen.

Might not be a traditional full scale summer camp but as long as people have saved the date it should be easy enough to put something reasonable together with a couple of weeks notice.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,737 Times in 1,631 Posts
    It was a fine line between holding out in hope but also needing to book something decent for our own families if camp didn't happen.

If you look at what is being considered possible by the summer, a group of 30 kids all crammed together for a week from a couple of dozen different families seems wildly unlikely. I can't see the situation being much different to last summer. According to the predictor, at 43, my 1st jab might come by the end of June. My second jab might be in September. I can't see how a summer camp could possibly be run in that situation.