Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: ET (explorers) phone home

Thanks

ET (explorers) phone home

Ok, from another thread, some stories of phones and your explorers or scouts.

Starter for 10,

We were flying to the Canadian Jamboree for the anniversary of scouting. The explorers were told not to bring mobile phones - too expensive to phone home and given the costs “way back then” not something we wanted to have to worry about.

We all gathered at the airport, parents around, all happy and excited to get away. Got everyone together and asked if they’d got everything they needed, Got lots of nods, left phones at home, again lots of nods. Took out my phone typed “hi” as a text message, selected my explorer contacts and pressed send.

Silence.....

followed by “beeps” of phones getting messages, oops.

Raised eyebrows, the “look” and phones handed back to parents.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big George View Post
    Ok, from another thread, some stories of phones and your explorers or scouts.

Starter for 10,

We were flying to the Canadian Jamboree for the anniversary of scouting. The explorers were told not to bring mobile phones - too expensive to phone home and given the costs “way back then” not something we wanted to have to worry about.

We all gathered at the airport, parents around, all happy and excited to get away. Got everyone together and asked if they’d got everything they needed, Got lots of nods, left phones at home, again lots of nods. Took out my phone typed “hi” as a text message, selected my explorer contacts and pressed send.

Silence.....

followed by “beeps” of phones getting messages, oops.

Raised eyebrows, the “look” and phones handed back to parents.
    I struggle much more with the thought that you'd not want explorers to use their phone to record the camp whilst you take yours. But each to their own.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RisingStar View Post
    I struggle much more with the thought that you'd not want explorers to use their phone to record the camp whilst you take yours. But each to their own.
    Agreed. Life has changed and hankering for it to not be so, won't change it back

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by richardnhunt View Post
    Agreed. Life has changed and hankering for it to not be so, won't change it back
    Although, re reading the OP, I think he is talking 13 years ago

4. The Following User Says Thank You to richardnhunt For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (16-06-2020)

Thanks
    It was way back when phones were simple beasts. No cameras, no keyboard, simple games, no music. Nowadays yes we are ok with phones and picture taking.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,512 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Last year, Easter camp, indoors, so not really a camp... Told the kids since leaders would be driving the following morning (sat) and we'd all be cycling around Loch Katrine, that they really needed to be in bed and quiet early. We're not total barbarians, so were expecting them to be mostly quiet by 1am. They were mostly quiet by about 2am. I was already unhappy.

5:30am, leaders are woken up by two scouts - one with a very distinctive* mid-British accent - talking very loudly on the way to, then from, the bogs. Went through, four of them were sat up playing some sort of game on their phones - they hadn't been to sleep at all.

You know when they know you're really angry. You also know when apologies are actually meant.

Driving a minibus the same day on three hours sleep, not ideal though.

* Irritating.

Yes, I've got the T-shirt Sparkgap's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    Last year, Easter camp, indoors, so not really a camp... Told the kids since leaders would be driving the following morning (sat) and we'd all be cycling around Loch Katrine, that they really needed to be in bed and quiet early. We're not total barbarians, so were expecting them to be mostly quiet by 1am. They were mostly quiet by about 2am. I was already unhappy.

5:30am, leaders are woken up by two scouts - one with a very distinctive* mid-British accent - talking very loudly on the way to, then from, the bogs. Went through, four of them were sat up playing some sort of game on their phones - they hadn't been to sleep at all.

You know when they know you're really angry. You also know when apologies are actually meant.

* Irritating.
    Weekend camp at Ennerdale with my troop from near Carlisle. Kids stopped chatting about 2am Saturday and started again at 5! Not happy! Took them on a hike around Ennerdale Water and up to Black Sail and back. Lovely warm sunny day. Back to the site, after dinner kids disappear to their tents and all asleep by 8!!! Still not stirred from their pits by 9am Sunday, peace!
    Andy
    SL 1st Wellington
    www.wellingtonscouts.org

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparkgap For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (16-06-2020)

Thanks

* Irritating.
    We've probably all had the "drive the minibus after 3 hours sleep" scenario. It's probably the most dangerous risk we experience in scouting.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to campwarden For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (16-06-2020),RisingStar (21-06-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,530 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by campwarden View Post
    We've probably all had the "drive the minibus after 3 hours sleep" scenario. It's probably the most dangerous risk we experience in scouting.
    We really should be more willing to arrive back late to mitigate that, i.e. if the Scouts mean you don't get to bed until 3am, you just subtly shift departure (and getting up) a few hours later. Better to arrive late than not at all. People get fixated with "we rise at 7am" even when there's no need.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,386 Times in 1,843 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    We really should be more willing to arrive back late to mitigate that, i.e. if the Scouts mean you don't get to bed until 3am, you just subtly shift departure (and getting up) a few hours later. Better to arrive late than not at all. People get fixated with "we rise at 7am" even when there's no need.
    In the case of self run activities, that is not an issue, but if you have booked hire of equipment or an instructor, timing is more important.

Scouts that kept everyone up late with their chat and games often found themselves struggling the following day. When they flagged, they got pushed harder. They soon realised that when we said. "Enough!" We meant it. It was less easy with the odd leader...
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,530 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    In the case of self run activities, that is not an issue, but if you have booked hire of equipment or an instructor, timing is more important.
    True, I was more meaning for the long journey home, where it's much more of a risk.

Scouts that kept everyone up late with their chat and games often found themselves struggling the following day. When they flagged, they got pushed harder. They soon realised that when we said. "Enough!" We meant it. It was less easy with the odd leader...
    I always worked that way where it wouldn't cause minibus safety issues (and we mostly went on summer camp by train, so it usually didn't) - the day will be as scheduled, so if you get 2 hours' sleep that just means it'll be harder

Thanks
    Thanked 1,512 Times in 1,073 Posts
    More recently, we took some of the older scouts down to this outdoor centre we're (still) looking to take on. Two sitting up the back of the bus spent the entire hour and half with their heads bent over their phone - I don't think they looked out the window more than twice.

When we arrived, they had no idea where they were. They didn't know if we'd travelled north, east, south or west. All they knew was, we were in the countryside.

Four years ago, we took a bunch of explorers round the NC500. They would sit for an hour or more, not say a word, but just show each other memes on their phones. We began to be able to tell from their laugh what they meant to say if they we're just speaking to each other. We had a couple of explorers along that didn't have phones with them, they thought it was a strange as we did.

They also would spend hours reciting lines to each other. Sometimes it was Monty Python, other times it was just random YouTube content. That was even more strange, because of where we were, they couldn't get 4G or anything, so they reverted to reciting to each other, what they'd otherwise just be watching online.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    [booming voice] WE RIDE AT DAWN!

Thing is, last day at camp, Saturday in the summer holiday, do I want to be driving on the M5 at 2pm? No. Do I and the other leaders want to be doing the last bits of unpacking (because my Explorers are great, and to a hell of a lot of the bulk work, but there's always a bit at the end, there just always is) at 8pm? No. If I go to bed at 2am when I wake up at 7am on the last day of camp, will I get back to sleep? No.

Should probably have a plan for the non drivers to be the bad guys on the last night.

Is it a dereliction of duty to put the ear plugs in and pick up the pieces in the morning?

Trouble is it's a double/treble whammy, they stay up all night, maybe needing leader intervention at times, they then really struggle with packing up, then they are no company in the minibus on the way home, all fast asleep when you need them to entertain you. Crank the tunes up, three hour indie hits of the 90s singalong, featuring your minibus driver on lead vocals.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

campwarden (16-06-2020),johnL (21-06-2020),Neil Williams (16-06-2020),pa_broon74 (16-06-2020),shiftypete (16-06-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    [booming voice] WE RIDE AT DAWN!

Thing is, last day at camp, Saturday in the summer holiday, do I want to be driving on the M5 at 2pm? No. Do I and the other leaders want to be doing the last bits of unpacking (because my Explorers are great, and to a hell of a lot of the bulk work, but there's always a bit at the end, there just always is) at 8pm? No. If I go to bed at 2am when I wake up at 7am on the last day of camp, will I get back to sleep? No.

Should probably have a plan for the non drivers to be the bad guys on the last night.

Is it a dereliction of duty to put the ear plugs in and pick up the pieces in the morning?

Trouble is it's a double/treble whammy, they stay up all night, maybe needing leader intervention at times, they then really struggle with packing up, then they are no company in the minibus on the way home, all fast asleep when you need them to entertain you. Crank the tunes up, three hour indie hits of the 90s singalong, featuring your minibus driver on lead vocals.
    Best camp I went on was one with a massive team. The minibus drivers were off duty on the last night of camp, then the next morning we headed into town to fuel the buses and have a leisurely breakfast at a cafe while the rest of the team managed the pack up.

I went along due to a friend roping me in (large team but short of drivers). It was the most rested I ever felt on a drive back... although there came a point in the journey when Poole to Cheshire started to drag....

When my friend offered for me to stay at their house, go out for a pub meal, and then drive the minibus home (was my groups bus... they usually hired commercially but if I was coming anyway it seemed silly for our bus to sit doing nothing while they paid full whack to hire one ) the next morning I was glad to accept!

Such a positive attitude to minibus and driver safety.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to campwarden For This Useful Post:

RisingStar (21-06-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    Crank the tunes up, three hour indie hits of the 90s singalong, featuring your minibus driver on lead vocals.
    They would have to be 80s for me Then again, I do remember taking young kids along to BBQs and the like in the 90s with hits of the day playing (happy days), so you never know, perhaps I could.

Thanks

* Irritating.
    And positively dangerous, I wouldn't want my son travelling when a driver after they had got only 3 hours sleep.

When would we admit that being hours, or even a day late is the right thing to do rather than risk the lives of all concerned, or would the reputational impact always trump that risk?