Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: ET (explorers) phone home

Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,530 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    Oh we get the child's shoe found in the park items, or, does anyone know who owns the black and white cat doing an impression of a pancake in the middle of main Street? type stuff. There is lots of that.

The current big issue though is the arrival of Gypsies on the local playing field - now, I am not condoning the damage done by them getting there but the racial abuse that has been aired is disgusting. It seems that whilst campaigning for BLM, it is still okay to be racist and discriminatory against Gypsies. Oh the irony of it all. - I'm am admin so had to intervene - one chap has taken real umbrage and is barraging me with mails now. Fotunately, the private posts supporting my stance outweigh the hate mail
    You're probably going to disagree, but I am discriminatory against those who damage public land and litter it, as well as engaging in untaxed door to door business, myself, very strongly so. Add to that occupation of land that is designated for another purpose (a playing field in your case) preventing its use for the intended purpose. And yes, apart from traditional horse-drawn Romanies, it does seem to actually be all of them, or at least most. And yes, I do consider that opinion a virtue, not a vice.

I don't give a jot about what their race might happen to be (nor do I use the word I think you're thinking of, but I suspect most people who do use it aren't considering them a race), nor their skin colour or whatever, and I'd welcome them if they adopted "leave no trace" principles in the way any responsible wild camper does (and what they are doing is basically wild camping). But until then, they can get lost, and I shall continue reporting them to the Council for eviction every time i see them, which in MK is quite often.
    Last edited by Neil Williams; 23-06-2020 at 03:20 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,386 Times in 1,843 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    You're probably going to disagree, but I am discriminatory against those who damage public land and litter it, as well as engaging in untaxed door to door business, myself, very strongly so. Add to that occupation of land that is designated for another purpose (a playing field in your case) preventing its use for the intended purpose. And yes, apart from traditional horse-drawn Romanies, it does seem to actually be all of them, or at least most. And yes, I do consider that opinion a virtue, not a vice.

I don't give a jot about what their race might happen to be (nor do I use the word I think you're thinking of, but I suspect most people who do use it aren't considering them a race), nor their skin colour or whatever, and I'd welcome them if they adopted "leave no trace" principles in the way any responsible wild camper does (and what they are doing is basically wild camping). But until then, they can get lost, and I shall continue reporting them to the Council for eviction every time i see them, which in MK is quite often.

You have fallen into the trap that others have. At no point was the damage done condoned. But the use of racist and discriminatory language should not be accepted.

I have had dealings with the Gypsies from time to time. I always treat them with respect. About ten years ago I walked in on a couple lifting scrap from outside the house. I spoke with them, asked them to leave some stuff but take the rest. I made a point in saying, if you are collecting and you stop by and ask, I'll give you what I can. Ever since, they have knocked and asked - different groups, but they have always knocked and asked, and to date nothing has been taken that I didn't want taken. A little respect goes a long way, I think.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    I have had dealings with the Gypsies from time to time. I always treat them with respect. About ten years ago I walked in on a couple lifting scrap from outside the house. I spoke with them, asked them to leave some stuff but take the rest. I made a point in saying, if you are collecting and you stop by and ask, I'll give you what I can. Ever since, they have knocked and asked - different groups, but they have always knocked and asked, and to date nothing has been taken that I didn't want taken. A little respect goes a long way, I think.
    Hmm. I sort of see where you're coming from, but a thief is a thief. If they asked first they might get, as they didn't ask they get nothing from me other than reporting to the Police, who really need to be less shy of enforcement against the multitude of offences committed by the community. And as I said, yes, it is pretty much all of them. I want it not to be, but in my experience it is.

I do not respect criminals.
    Last edited by Neil Williams; 23-06-2020 at 03:44 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Neil Williams For This Useful Post:

RisingStar (23-06-2020)

Thanks
    Hmm. I sort of see where you're coming from, but a thief is a thief. If they asked first they might get, as they didn't ask they get nothing from me other than reporting to the Police, who really need to be less shy of enforcement against the multitude of offences committed by the community. And as I said, yes, it is pretty much all of them. I want it not to be, but in my experience it is.

I do not respect criminals.
    Around here there is a term that is used. It is used regardless of their racial origin (Romany, Irish, etc) so not sure it's a racial thing. It stems from many years experience of them damaging property, stealing, etc and making themselves most unpopular.

Theft, trespass, illegal encampment, fly tipping failure to tax and insure vehicles, etc are not racial characteristics, they are bad lifestyle choices and criminal activities. The police should treat travellers breaking the law in the same way as anyone else.

The term I'm thinking of relates to the fact that travellers used to spend a lot of time on the turnpike roads.
    Last edited by campwarden; 23-06-2020 at 04:17 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to campwarden For This Useful Post:

Neil Williams (23-06-2020),RisingStar (23-06-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,512 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Must admit, I don't have much patience for people hiding behind their minority status to dodge responsibility.

I think it was Ian Wright who tells a story about always being stopped by the police in London when he was younger. He says the car was crap, it was dangerously overloaded, and often had 'fragrant' smoke billowing from the windows. The police would pull him over and he'd ask - "Why are always picking on us officer?"

The travelling community do themselves little favours.

(This could be a record-breaking digression. From Explorers stuck to their phones, to problems with the travelling community... )

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

campwarden (23-06-2020),Neil Williams (23-06-2020)

Thanks
    None of this is really getting the point.

Would you call a Pakistani or an Indian a Paki? A Chinese person a Chink? A handicapped kid a crip, or a window licker? No, you wouldn't

So why is it okay to call Gypsyeis or Romanies anything other than their proper name?

I do not condone theivery or vandalism. But, and there is a but...

For as long as there have been Gypsies or Romany they have been abused and treated badly. Just as blacks were - and apparently still are in some places. Maybe, just maybe, if society treated them better they would learn to treat society better. That is the route that we take with almost everyone else.

You know, if there is a group of young people on the street and you go at them as if they are a problem - they become a problem... treat then with some respect and you start to make progress.
    Ewan Scott

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (23-06-2020)

Thanks
    None of this is really getting the point.

Would you call a Pakistani or an Indian a Paki? A Chinese person a Chink? A handicapped kid a crip, or a window licker? No, you wouldn't

So why is it okay to call Gypsyeis or Romanies anything other than their proper name?

I do not condone theivery or vandalism. But, and there is a but...

For as long as there have been Gypsies or Romany they have been abused and treated badly. Just as blacks were - and apparently still are in some places. Maybe, just maybe, if society treated them better they would learn to treat society better. That is the route that we take with almost everyone else.

You know, if there is a group of young people on the street and you go at them as if they are a problem - they become a problem... treat then with some respect and you start to make progress.
    Chicken... egg...

I must admit I don't understand racism against people from Pakistan, India, China... any country. I don't see why people do it. Maybe light humoured jokes about character traits and accents, but not violence, abuse, refusing jobs, etc.

I don't think people pick in travellers because of their ethnic origin. Round here many are Irish, others have English accents. They are "picked on" because whenever they arrive things that are wanted disappear, and things that are not wanted appear. I don't care whether the person nicking my generators and fly tipping rubbish in my gateway is from any particular ethnic origin... I just don't want them to do it, and want the police to treat them the same as they'd treat me if I was half-inching generators.

Fwiw I agree with you ref respect when it comes to groups of kids on the street. It is adults who make kids what they are. I've watched enough teachers show zero respect for their pupils and seen the issues it causes.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to campwarden For This Useful Post:

Neil Williams (23-06-2020),RisingStar (23-06-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by campwarden View Post
    The term I'm thinking of relates to the fact that travellers used to spend a lot of time on the turnpike roads.
    Learn something new every day!

Thanks
    Learn something new every day!
    Roads which in turn got their name from the barrier at the toll house resembling a row of soldier's pikes. The tollkeeper would open the gate, "turning the pikes" to allow people to pass.

Got to love the English Language.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to campwarden For This Useful Post:

Neil Williams (23-06-2020),pa_broon74 (23-06-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by campwarden View Post

I don't think people pick in travellers because of their ethnic origin. Round here many are Irish, others have English accents.
    And in Spain the speak Spanish, Romania - Roma, and in America they speak wit American accents. How someone sounds is not a marker of their ethnicity. I spent a few days with town Gypsies in Romania back in 1989 - they were no different from you and I. They did tell us that their country cousins were more stuck in the old ways - but hey, townies say that about country folk here.

BTW - I am not in the slightest suggesting that Romanians were/ are not racist - they had a lot of anger and mistrust for everyone - and that is understandable.
    Ewan Scott