Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tonights all members online meeting 7pm

Thanks

Tonights all members online meeting 7pm

Wonder what the thinking will be, https://www.scouts.org.uk/events
    24 June meeting 2020 at 7pm

Staying in touch with you during this critical time couldn't be more important to support you with the information you need. So many of you said how useful it was to ask members of Team UK and our Senior Leadership team questions, and hear how we're responding to the crisis first-hand. We'll be discussing four critical issues that affect us all:

Preparing for a safe return to face-to-face Scouts We know many of you are keen to return to face-to-face meetings and activities as soon as its safe to do so. Well bring you up to speed on what were doing to prepare for this and other measures to keep Scouts safe, and how this information will be shared with you in the coming weeks.
    Support for local Scout funds As ever, we'll be signposting the financial and other support available to you locally.
    Membership fee proposals We'll also explain the impact the new financial situation has on the membership fee and sharing proposals for 2021.
    A financial update We'll be sharing a frank assessment of our finances at a national level and the impact this has on services, and the role and structure of HQ.

Thanks
    I'll be dialling in even with minimal expectations of much good news or progress in view of my long standing opinion that communication is two way and we need to make an effort to keep up to speed. If one can't be bothered to dial in to get the information and more generally "play the game" we loose the right to complain, question or accuse of poor comms- and the consequences of that!
    --
    Dan Sheehan
    Group Scout Leader
    9th Muswell Hill Scout Group

District Training Adviser
    District Executive Member
    District Appointment Advisory Comittee
    North London District Scouts

web: www.9thmuswellhill.org.uk
    twitter: @9thMuswellHill
    facebook: /9thmuswellhill

Thanks
    a few points: Census moved to October 15th
    return to Scouting will require a written risk assessment
    more likely to allow for outdoor ( ie non hut/HQ) based first ( but not camping)
    Last edited by Richard T; 24-06-2020 at 07:47 PM. Reason: clarified bit on outdoors vs camping

Thanks
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard T View Post
    more likely to allow for outdoor ( ie non hut/HQ) based first
    But camping is going to be tricky, so doesn't sound like it's in the first few phases.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 887 Posts
    a few points: Census moved to October 15th
    Just to avoid confusion they are moving the Census date but NOT the payment date for membership fees (although they will be based on Census numbers from the Oct Census)

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL
    2002 - 2018 AESL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,530 Posts
    One thing I'm confused about is that they're proposing changes to Safeguarding to be announced in a couple of weeks...but they aren't asking people to wait for then to do the training?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Neil Williams For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (24-06-2020)

Thanks
    Bit of a pointed question from someone who states they are a Health and safety trainer, stating that some of the Risk assessment templates provided by HQ are not legal as they have no risk score.
    As far as im aware there is noting stating what a risk assessment should be - other than fit for purpose

Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,530 Posts
    Bit of a pointed question from someone who states they are a Health and safety trainer, stating that some of the Risk assessment templates provided by HQ are not legal as they have no risk score.
    As far as im aware there is noting stating what a risk assessment should be - other than fit for purpose
    Indeed, I think that person made themselves look rather stupid, to be honest - going in all guns blazing when you're wrong just discredits you.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Neil Williams For This Useful Post:

dralphs (24-06-2020),shiftypete (24-06-2020),SteveF (24-06-2020)

Thanks
    A quick google brought up a report about issues using risk scores and matrices. Within that there was a link to a HSE faq and a comment that legislation does not require the use of scores (and there use can be detrimental to risk management unless the scores are well understood). For the person who made the statement I would be asking for the relevant legislation reference. Examples from the HSE web site dont use scores.

Personally I dont use scores when doing risk assessments.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Big George For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (24-06-2020)

Thanks
    As with all disciplines there are those who will gold plate, obfuscate and generally try and bamboozle others from a position of self perceived superiority. I thought Tim Kidd did really well by inviting the critic to come forward and give everyone the benefit of their knowledge and experience. Let's see if the person follows up on this.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boballan For This Useful Post:

Ian Mallett (24-06-2020),shiftypete (24-06-2020)

nele
    Thanks
    not sure what they mean by tightening up on training etc.. I hope they don't mean adding more requirements.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 887 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nele View Post
    not sure what they mean by tightening up on training etc.. I hope they don't mean adding more requirements.
    I think they mean actually making sure people actually do it

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL
    2002 - 2018 AESL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    I stand corrected with hands up, I was more impressed with their drive and progress than I expected.

Small group stuff with basic approval and measures in place is reasonable. Thank god- we were starting to loose our leaders patience with virtual scouting (we've been running all sections, full length, weekly since the day after suspension), this will be a useful light at the end of the tunnel.
    Last edited by dsheehan; 24-06-2020 at 08:43 PM.
    --
    Dan Sheehan
    Group Scout Leader

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    Indeed, I think that person made themselves look rather stupid, to be honest - going in all guns blazing when you're wrong just discredits you.
    Full credit to the way Tim handled that question. I think Matt also did well with one that used a 'rude' word. I'm quite pleased that they mentioned the tone and spikiness (i think is how they put it) of the way some questions were asked. It's perfectly possible to put your point across whilst remaining kind to each other.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rob_82 For This Useful Post:

boballan (25-06-2020),dralphs (24-06-2020),khoomei (24-06-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_82 View Post
    Full credit to the way Tim handled that question. I think Matt also did well with one that used a 'rude' word. I'm quite pleased that they mentioned the tone and spikiness (i think is how they put it) of the way some questions were asked. It's perfectly possible to put your point across whilst remaining kind to each other.
    Sort of felt the other-way here. Unnecessary swearing is unhelpful but theres a lot of friction between local and national scouting and difficult circumstances.

Talking to me like a Beaver Scout is never going to get me onside I'm afraid.

Run a Q&A for 10,000 volunteers as senior management for a big organisation you need to toughen up a bit and accept your going to get some grief criticism. Rise and above and get on with it. God knows, most of us would love to be in your position given half a chance!
    --
    Dan Sheehan
    Group Scout Leader

21. The Following User Says Thank You to dsheehan For This Useful Post: