Thread: Scout Huts & Waste Collection

Thanks

Scout Huts & Waste Collection

We, as a group, own our Scout Hut and pay non-domestic rates to our local council. We are therefore not entitled to the provision of, nor emptying of, waste and recycling bins. It was suggested, by a council officer, that we pay a private contracter to dispose of our waste (despite being a charity on limited means). Currently, leaders are taking rubbish home and placing it in their own domestic bins. This is not a long term solution, especially if collections are moved to fortnightly rather than weekly. I would be interested to know what solutions other groups in a similar situation have come up with.

Thanks
    All the scout buildings, sites and properties I have ever been involved in have had commercial refuse contracts in place. Scouting definitely comes under commercial rather than domestic in this regard all be it a charity.
    --
    Dan Sheehan
    Group Scout Leader
    9th Muswell Hill Scout Group

District Training Adviser
    District Executive Member
    District Appointment Advisory Comittee
    North London District Scouts

web: www.9thmuswellhill.org.uk
    twitter: @9thMuswellHill
    facebook: /9thmuswellhill

Thanks
    We have commercial collection from the Council. They gave us a discount rate so it isn't too expensive.

We were going to do separate recycing but that would have cost double (for the extra bin) so we canned that idea(!!)
    To get more kids we need more adults - are we getting the message yet?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dsheehan View Post
    All the scout buildings, sites and properties I have ever been involved in have had commercial refuse contracts in place. Scouting definitely comes under commercial rather than domestic in this regard all be it a charity.
    Back in the good old days we used to put black bags out. Then about 10 years ago now they switched to wheelie bins, and as a non-domestic property we didnt get one. We shopped around a few commercial contractors and found the council to be the cheapest at the time.

These days, some of the small "rubbish clearance" type companies offer wheelie bins at quite good rates - just make sure they're licensed! At work we pay 15 a month for a wheelie bin which is emptied fortnightly, and we rarely fill it.

Thanks
    Commercial rates aren't too bad for charities, having looked into this previously for another charity I'm a trustee of. Most waste companies will offer a discount to charities.

One thing I've found is don't overestimate how much rubbish you will produce.

Rule 66. A map and compass offers no protection against getting horribly lost.

Thanks
    I guess the other (probably obvious sorry) thing to say is think about disposal on acquisition. Paper for example could be used to light fires, other stuff that is disposable might not want to be bought in the first place. If you're not generating much rubbish and have room to store it, it might be possible to stash it in sorted bins and do a termly tip run - but that's time for someone, and there is a massive danger that mess accumulates.
    Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks
    OK can help you here.
    As a non-domestic waste producer, you have a Duty of Care under Section 34 of the Environmental Protection Act to dispose of the waste in a correct manner. Giving it to leaders to take home is NOT correct disposal and could (in extreme cases) leave you open to prosecution. This applies to all waste producers such as charities, schools, shops, churches, industry. The only area it does not apply to is household waste.
    The Environment Agency can demand to see you have a disposal contract.
    You should also have a Duty of Care / Waste Transfer note for the wastes transfered and you need to be sure that the persons you give the waste to are a fit and proper - basically they are licenced by the EA to do the work.
    Each year you will get a carriers round cert from the disposal people to say they have taken it away - you need to keep this for 3 years. Same applies for recycling - its waste as well - just going somewhere else.
    Our group uses the commercial waste section of the LA to do ours. Its not too expensive and there are different sized bins and collection regimes to choose from that can make it more economic. We split the waste into recycling and non-recycling - with the non-recycling going each week in a wheely bin and the recycling going once a month in a big wheeled bin - we lock this to stop fly tippers filling this up - yes really.
    Taking it to the tip is probably not allowed either - depending on your local set up - they are generally for household wastes - not commercial - with many using ANPR number plate technology now
    PM me if you want some help
    The good news is once it set up its not too much work and you will be legal

Thanks
    Thanked 2,484 Times in 1,551 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBaloo View Post
    Taking it to the tip is probably not allowed either - depending on your local set up - they are generally for household wastes - not commercial - with many using ANPR number plate technology now
    I don't think that's correct - in my understanding we can't have a free collection but charities like us can use the tip.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,434 Times in 1,871 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    I don't think that's correct - in my understanding we can't have a free collection but charities like us can use the tip.

It is discretionary.

I turned up with stuff being cleared out of the HQ. I was in a vehicle that was registered. As I started to unload the manager came up, "Ey now lad. Where's that got that lot from?"

I told him it was from the Scout Hut. "Nay lad, that'll need to go to tip in 't town."

After some remonstration, " He looked at his book for a bit and said, "Alreet lad, tha can drop it this time but mind, next time it is in 't town."

Spoke to my councillor chum and he checked and he was right enough, it is discretionary. I couldn't explain dumping 36 infant chairs as domestic waste... and schools have to pay to get rid of the same...
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

Neil Williams (01-07-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    I couldn't explain dumping 36 infant chairs as domestic waste...
    Had the same problem

Also just got away with it but had a lot of wierd looks on the third trip and a quiet "don't come back for a fourth" comment off one of the workers.
    Last edited by Kastor; 01-07-2020 at 02:34 PM.
    To get more kids we need more adults - are we getting the message yet?

Thanks
    Our council has an allowance of 10 tonnes per year for Charities to dispose of at the tip / recycling centre for free.
    With regards to the original question, we don't have any collection from our hut. We don't actually generate much rubbish - less than one black bag a week.

Thanks
    Our council (St Albans District) allows us a domestic wheelie collection FOC. This is on a discretionary basis, so yours might not make the same offer, but it is worth checking. It took a bit of persistence on the telephone to track down the right person who knew about this policy and could arrange it.

We found we use more than this, and they were not willing to extend the discretion to allow a bigger wheelie or two of them. So we arranged a commercial collection as well, on the weeks when our fortnightly council wheelie is not collected. This one seemed the best: https://www.businesswaste.co.uk

The price was not bad: 9 per collection (unless it is very heavy) and they don't charge for the wheelie. One nice feature is that (if they are to be believed) you can mix recycling and non-recycling and they sift through to pull out what can be recycled. One possible problem is that they expect the bin left by the road, so you need someone to put it out.
    Last edited by IvanOpinion; 02-07-2020 at 02:11 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kastor View Post
    Had the same problem

Also just got away with it but had a lot of wierd looks on the third trip and a quiet "don't come back for a fourth" comment off one of the workers.
    I believe our local council accepts charity waste for free, but it has to go over the weighbridge into the transfer station rather than into the public skips, which also means hi-vis have to be worn for unloading etc.

We had a campfire circle in our hall's grounds... so when we had big clearouts etc we'd usually have a bonfire to dispose of anything that we could reasonably get away with burning. It's probably frowned upon a lot now, but its not that many years ago that a lot of scout campsites had signs up asking you to burn as much of your refuse as possible.