Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Reviewing hirers risk assessments

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    245
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 56 Times in 41 Posts

    Reviewing hirers risk assessments

    I thought it might be helpful to have a thread to share thoughts and experiences of which hire activities want to resume in scout huts and what sort of issues are arising from their risk assessments. Guidance from govt and TSA seems to require us to review the RAs.

    I would guess that those who hire to nurseries may have had them resume and that they will have robust RAs because Ofsted will be checking them.

    Government guidance now seems to allow many of the things that meeting halls are used for. It looks to me as if things like yoga, pilates, dog training, craft classes should all be able to resume, as long as there is adequate distancing. Things that cannot be done without proximity, such as ballroom dancing or bridge, are probably not viable, particularly if they have an elderly clientele.

    I currently have an enquiry from a performing arts school and am waiting to see their RA, because even if they have non-contact dancing, it is still going to make you breathe heavily, which is a major risk factor. Another is singing. I'm currently sceptical that their RA is going to convince me they can mitigate these risks. There seems to be a view that the requirements can be relaxed somewhat for children, but how much? And what about the adult teachers? Anyone else dealt with this, yet?

    What about adult dance/fitness, such as Zumba? Can that be safe, indoors?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    1,177
    Thanks
    158
    Thanked 486 Times in 304 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IvanOpinion View Post
    I thought it might be helpful to have a thread to share thoughts and experiences of which hire activities want to resume in scout huts and what sort of issues are arising from their risk assessments. Guidance from govt and TSA seems to require us to review the RAs.

    I would guess that those who hire to nurseries may have had them resume and that they will have robust RAs because Ofsted will be checking them.

    Government guidance now seems to allow many of the things that meeting halls are used for. It looks to me as if things like yoga, pilates, dog training, craft classes should all be able to resume, as long as there is adequate distancing. Things that cannot be done without proximity, such as ballroom dancing or bridge, are probably not viable, particularly if they have an elderly clientele.

    I currently have an enquiry from a performing arts school and am waiting to see their RA, because even if they have non-contact dancing, it is still going to make you breathe heavily, which is a major risk factor. Another is singing. I'm currently sceptical that their RA is going to convince me they can mitigate these risks. There seems to be a view that the requirements can be relaxed somewhat for children, but how much? And what about the adult teachers? Anyone else dealt with this, yet?

    What about adult dance/fitness, such as Zumba? Can that be safe, indoors?
    To my mind, your responsibility is ensuring that you provide a safe premises for activities to take place, and that it is safe for each hirer. I would not think that you have a responsibility to ensure that the activities carried out by a hirer are safe for their participants, as long as the hall is left safe at the end of the hire. I might be wrong.

    So, for example, with adult fitness... Gyms etc are allowed to open in a couple of weeks. Yes there is an increased risk from heavy breathing etc - but that is down to the hirer to manage. Where your interest would come in is making sure that surfaces that the virus might have landed on are cleaned thoroughly. If I was in your position I would probably conclude that the best practice would be for a fogging system to be used to thoroughly deep clean the room after an exercise class - which would probably be prohibitively expensive. There is a lot of guidance out there for things like gyms and fitness facilities to reopen.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to campwarden For This Useful Post:

    shiftypete (11-07-2020)

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    245
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 56 Times in 41 Posts
    I agree the primary responsibility for the activity lies with the hirer, but there does seem to be a requirement that we make some sort of judgement on the hirer's RA. TSA says:

    "They [ie, third party users of a scout hut] must complete their own risk assessments of the property and activities they plan to undertake. A copy of this risk assessment should then be given to the appropriate Trustee representative for review alongside the premise’s own risk assessment."
    https://prep-cms.scouts.org.uk/media...r-premises.pdf

    Unfortunately, TSA says absolutely nothing about what purpose the review should have. If it isn't some sort of broad judgement on the hirer's RA, what is it?

    I don't think we should be micro-managing hirers. For instance, if the hirer's activity includes singing and their RA says they will mitigate the risk by having signers wear visors, I'm pretty sure it isn't up the hall owner to judge if this is sufficient mitigation. But what if the RA doesn't even recognise the risk from singing and thus does nothing to mitigate it?

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,576
    Thanks
    2,243
    Thanked 1,564 Times in 1,108 Posts
    I'd be looking at this from the other end. Who's liable. If it's not you, then the contents of the RA have nothing to do with you.

    TSA asking hall operators (voluntary, exec members at that) to police this, is a bit of an imposition.

    I really don't think TSA has it's collective head screwed back on properly for coming out of lockdown.

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    1,177
    Thanks
    158
    Thanked 486 Times in 304 Posts
    I would have thought your review was to check that it didn't go against your own risk assessment.

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    245
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 56 Times in 41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by campwarden View Post
    I would have thought your review was to check that it didn't go against your own risk assessment.
    Maybe. I've asked them to clarify.

  8. #7
    Senior Member chris@8th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    848
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 34 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    TSA asking hall operators (voluntary, exec members at that) to... ( fill in the blanks yourself) ... is a bit of an imposition.
    Everything TSA are asking at the moment seems a bit of an imposition on volunteers
    Chris

    Akela - 8th Mirfield
    Heavy Woollen District


  9. The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:

    pa_broon74 (12-07-2020)

  10. #8
    Senior Member Bushfella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Huddersfield
    Posts
    16,522
    Thanks
    631
    Thanked 3,445 Times in 1,877 Posts
    Well. our community centre appears to have no premises risk assessment and no cleaning schedule. Its food hygiene rating is 1 ( and Fiona who chacks up on school kitchens reckons that the rating is generous ).

    I am now looking for Plan B meeting places. But I suspect that most comunity halls will have no RA and no Cleaning Schedule either. Looks like the only halls that MIGHT have them in place will be Scout Halls!
    Ewan Scott

    It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....





    Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers



    www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Similar Threads

  1. Risk Assessments
    By Walsallwizard in forum Scouting Talk
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 27-10-2013, 08:04 AM
  2. Risk assessments
    By SimonM in forum Scouting Talk
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 17-08-2011, 09:14 PM
  3. One for your risk assessments
    By stevelinton in forum Scouting Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 18-10-2010, 11:43 PM
  4. Risk Assessments
    By johnmcmahon in forum Scouting Talk
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 24-07-2009, 06:12 PM
  5. Risk Assessments
    By robinhood_2nd in forum Scouting Talk
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 09-02-2008, 08:11 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •