Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Scout campsites should think about electrick hookup pitches

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    You can convert a Defender, but it costs pretty much as much as a new Tesla! (I wonder if they literally are just buying Nissan Leafs, scrapping the body and fitting the gear to the Landy... )
    Do they have full 4wd functionality? If so i imagine they'd need to buy two Nissan Leafs for each defender!!

I drove a defender (borrowed one of the farm vehicles to use the winch) for the first time in a few years last week... an old 200tdi but still runs sweet as a nut. It would almost seem a shame to take it to bits and put a load of electrical nonsense in it

Thanks
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,594 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by campwarden View Post
    Do they have full 4wd functionality? If so i imagine they'd need to buy two Nissan Leafs for each defender!!

I drove a defender (borrowed one of the farm vehicles to use the winch) for the first time in a few years last week... an old 200tdi but still runs sweet as a nut. It would almost seem a shame to take it to bits and put a load of electrical nonsense in it
    I've just sold mine, sadly. Very fun vehicle but not really practical with fuel costing too much, it likely to need a fair bit spent soon and it not being comfortable for long drives. I did always want to own one and I think I did at the right time. Sad to see it off, though, and it wouldn't have been viable to just leave it sat there until electric conversion became affordable.

I don't think you'd need two motors, the conversions I've seen just connect it to the gearbox in place of the engine (or remove the main gearbox and just connect to the transfer box).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by campwarden View Post
    I had hoped that Mitsubishi would have the answer. Their Outlander PHEV is a pretty decent car and with uprated motors and replacing the weight of the engine and fuel tank with additional batteries it would probably have made a decent EV. Sadly Mitsubishi is withdrawing from the european market, and it looks like Nissan may well follow.
    Just picked up my PHEV in March. Hugely impressed so far
    Chris

Akela - 8th Mirfield
    Heavy Woollen District

Thanks
    When we go a long way we use a local hire minibus+driver who tows our trailer - when we go local a request to parents to help tow is put out - I'm a post 97 pass with no minibus driving or even towing the trailer on my licence.

As for camps - we camped a few years back at Willersley ( nice site near ashby-de-la-zouch on the Leicestershire/Derbyshire border been may times since) however behind us was an army cadet group - armed with a generator chugging away all weekend- with it only being shut off at 11:30pm

Another one involved an international jamboree type, where they placed small generators near the toilet blocks to provide power for the lights - one of these small generators was behind a groups leaders tents and that regularly got turned off by the group, before someone form the camp turned it back on again - that was until it mysteriously developed a fault ( spark plug removal) and couldn't be started again each night just before midnight.

I've also soon some shocking examples of high ( ie mains level) voltage on camps from extension leads and sockets sitting semi submerged in water, to a 240v set up using inverters on lorry batteries and the metal frame of a tent producing a slight shock.

For a weekend camp, a few powerbanks will keep things going - i usually use two a large one for overnight charging, and a smaller pocket one for day time top ups
    For a week or longer camp, i use a solar charger similar to this https://www.amazon.co.uk/RAVPower-UK...18923592&psc=1 which charges my main powerbank, a secondary powerbank with capacity to spare to charge a few Li-ion 18650 cells for my collection of torches

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Just picked up my PHEV in March. Hugely impressed so far
    It's a good vehicle but a bit on the pricey side. Give it 3-5 years, though (that's why I think I've just bought my last manual diesel car[1]). Even looks good (for some reason I think the boxy shape looks good). Shame they're withdrawing from Europe, maybe they will be back.

[1] Ford Kuga. Definitely not a Defender, sadly (though probably no less a vehicle than the new "fake" Defender ), but twice the fuel economy, and the Defender was looking likely to be about to cost me a small fortune fixing bits. There's also absolutely loads of them around used (they are a popular fleet car) so they can be had quite cheaply.
    Last edited by Neil Williams; 31-07-2020 at 07:24 AM.

Thanks
    The cost of putting in hookups for sites will be expensive. There are several sites that already have some electrical hookups, but these are often in because they are near toilet blocks or other facilities that make a small spur off for a site worth it.

Also many sites won't have the capacity to create what is in affect an IDNO and be able to support it.

Rule 66. A map and compass offers no protection against getting horribly lost.

Thanks
    Odd that it was mentioned about converting a defender to electric as i've been watching this show https://www.vintagevoltage.tv/ and they just did one.
    Like everything its the batteries that are the problem still not the motor, yes the motor was i think several grand but it was a pretty powerful one but only about the size of the gearbox.

Have a breakthrough on battery tech so they fit in the same space as the fuel tank with another pack in the engine bay and get the cost down and i can see a lot more of these conversions happening.
    Dave Ralphs
    Yarnton Scout Group (Treasurer)
    DofE Advisor & District Exec Member - Oxford Spires District
    http://yarntonscouts.org.uk/

I work for O2, any posts are my own personal views & do not represent O2

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
    Yes, I remember the Olden Days as well. We didn't have mobile phones, so we had to find a phone box or ask the Camp Warden to use his / her phone! Good times!
    Aaaaaahhhhh! Camping! I remember that. No phones, no generators. Candles in jam jars and the smell of a hurricane lamp!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnmcmahon For This Useful Post:

boballan (31-07-2020),Robin Hood (20-08-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmcmahon View Post
    Aaaaaahhhhh! Camping! I remember that. No phones, no generators. Candles in jam jars and the smell of a hurricane lamp!
    Smell of a few hissing Tilley lamps

And either travelling to camp sat on the tents in back of van or (shock horror) being allowed as 14yr olds to cycle to camp, stopping overnight wherever we could find somewhere usually the back of a pub beer garden or similar
    Dave Ralphs
    Yarnton Scout Group (Treasurer)
    DofE Advisor & District Exec Member - Oxford Spires District
    http://yarntonscouts.org.uk/

I work for O2, any posts are my own personal views & do not represent O2

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dralphs For This Useful Post:

boballan (31-07-2020),pa_broon74 (31-07-2020),Robin Hood (20-08-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    It's a good vehicle but a bit on the pricey side. Give it 3-5 years, though (that's why I think I've just bought my last manual diesel car[1]). Even looks good (for some reason I think the boxy shape looks good). Shame they're withdrawing from Europe, maybe they will be back.

[1] Ford Kuga. Definitely not a Defender, sadly (though probably no less a vehicle than the new "fake" Defender ), but twice the fuel economy, and the Defender was looking likely to be about to cost me a small fortune fixing bits. There's also absolutely loads of them around used (they are a popular fleet car) so they can be had quite cheaply.
    My understanding looking into it further is that Mitsubishi cars may well be sold under the Renault brand in Europe. So the Outlander will most likely be replaced in the European market by the Renault Koleos or something similar. The new Renault Alaskan will most likely replace the L200 in Europe.

It's a shame that Mitsubishi are leaving the market though, as they have such a wide range of good quality 4x4s. Not sure anything produced by Renault will have the same reliability. I will miss them when they're gone.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to campwarden For This Useful Post:

Neil Williams (31-07-2020)

Thanks
    I had the previous outlander badged as a Peugeot 4007 ~15yrs ago and loved that one too, although it clobbered me on company car tax if I recall. Main reason for current phev was the big tax saving
    Chris

Akela - 8th Mirfield
    Heavy Woollen District

Thanks
    Thanked 3,694 Times in 1,610 Posts
    Paris: charging points in the road.
    London: charging points on the pavement.
    Oxford prototype popup charging point is still a massive obstacle once popped up.

Photos all from twitter

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I would imagine that if you have the "heavyweight" infrastructure for tungsten or sodium street lighting and you swap it to LED, that gives you a fair bit of spare capacity on the existing wiring for a charger or two.

Thanks
    Also London by the way: charging points integrated into lampposts.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I had the previous outlander badged as a Peugeot 4007 ~15yrs ago and loved that one too, although it clobbered me on company car tax if I recall. Main reason for current phev was the big tax saving
    I beleive the Outlander Mk2 was sold badged as a Peugeot and also as a Citroen. It was available with a choice of engines over its lifespan... the VW and Mitsubishi engines used were fine but the PSA (citroen/peugeot) one is now known for having issues. I cant imagine why anyone would want to take a car from a reliable Japanese manufacturer and stick a dodgy euro engine in it!

The americans on the other hand have 3 litre V6 petrol engines in their outlanders as standard. And we worry about OUR carbon footprint

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    Paris: charging points in the road.
    London: charging points on the pavement.
    Oxford prototype popup charging point is still a massive obstacle once popped up.

Photos all from twitter

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    All of these are based on a self contained structure with the entire system built into a bollard. The idea i'm envisaging relies more on individual sockets built into the side of the kerb stones, control screens on the side of nearby buildings/walls/lampposts, and the various transformers/inverters/whatever located underground out the way, or high up on a wall somewhere with a cable running underground to the socket.

This could of course be made more feasible by the cable to from the charging unit to the car being part of the car, rather than part of the charging unit, and therefore not having to store a pull out cable in the charging unit.

Even better would be charging systems where you park over a patch on the road, lower something resembling a train pantograph from the bottom from the bottom of the car, and all the charging infrastructure is out the way.

There are solutions to every problem - but sometimes its necessary to think outside the box.