Thread: Anyone want a job

Thanks

Anyone want a job

https://www.scouts.org.uk/volunteer/...-commissioner/

Looks like Tim might have had enough...
    Well it's been fun...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 931 Posts
    Interesting, he has only been UK CC for 4 years, although 4 fairly tumultous years esepcially the last one. I woudn't take on the UK CC even if they paid me to do it nevermind as a volunteer.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL
    2002 - 2018 AESL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Thanked 2,555 Times in 1,464 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    Interesting, he has only been UK CC for 4 years, although 4 fairly tumultous years esepcially the last one. I woudn't take on the UK CC even if they paid me to do it nevermind as a volunteer.
    The standard term of office is 5 years, so with time for recruitment maybe that takes him up to the standard 5 years. Though it says you can break at 3 and go up to 7 years.

Also says...

Up to twenty four weekends per year and some mid-week engagements
    Extensive travel
    6-8 hours a week administration
    Available at reasonable times during the day and evening

So...every other weekend basically? Wow. Nope, I'm out
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Interesting that last time it went quietly onto Tim who was Deputy UKCC at the time. Glad it's not the case this time as both really annoy me for different reasons and have done so even more with their front line handling of recent projects.
    --
    Dan Sheehan
    Group Scout Leader
    9th Muswell Hill Scout Group

web: www.9thmuswellhill.org.uk
    twitter: @9thMuswellHill
    facebook: /9thmuswellhill

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dsheehan For This Useful Post:

BenOfThe12th (01-09-2020),pa_broon74 (01-09-2020),shiftypete (01-09-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,724 Times in 1,202 Posts
    Must admit, this is not a job I'd want or be in any way qualified for.

Also, I think it's fair to say, I wouldn't be right for it, nor it for me.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,594 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dsheehan View Post
    Interesting that last time it went quietly onto Tim who was Deputy UKCC at the time. Glad it's not the case this time as both really annoy me for different reasons and have done so even more with their front line handling of recent projects.
    I hope Graeme Hamilton goes for it. He's not pleased everyone with his blunt approach, but to me that means you know where you are, and he does seem very happy to consult and engage on social media in the way Wayne did on here.

But then maybe it's only gone out because he didn't want it, as it is a bit of a natural succession from deputy? I did expect our deputy CC to go for CC when the CC reached the end of his term but I believe he wasn't interested.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neil Williams For This Useful Post:

London Scouter (01-09-2020),marcush (02-09-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    I hope Graeme Hamilton goes for it. He's not pleased everyone with his blunt approach, but to me that means you know where you are, and he does seem very happy to consult and engage on social media in the way Wayne did on here.
    Hope for everyones' sake he doesn't as all the recent Covid related fusterclucks are down to him.
    It would certainly mark a sad day in UK Scouting...
    Well it's been fun...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BenOfThe12th View Post
    Hope for everyones' sake he doesn't as all the recent Covid related fusterclucks are down to him.
    It would certainly mark a sad day in UK Scouting...
    Have there been many covid cluster f?

They seem to be quite flexible pro-active rules to me.
    Last edited by mattcollins171; 02-09-2020 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Removing swearing
    --
    Dan Sheehan
    Group Scout Leader
    9th Muswell Hill Scout Group

web: www.9thmuswellhill.org.uk
    twitter: @9thMuswellHill
    facebook: /9thmuswellhill

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 931 Posts

But then maybe it's only gone out because he didn't want it, as it is a bit of a natural succession from deputy? I did expect our deputy CC to go for CC when the CC reached the end of his term but I believe he wasn't interested.
    I would have agreed with that up until the point he has clearly been responsible for the ridiculous decision and and implementation of insisting on Written Risk Assesments for all and every activity which is way beyond the advice of even the HSE for work environments.

Even the Coronor in the Great Orme enquiry didn't recommend that Written Risk Assesments be required for all activities, his critisim was that there was no process for deciding when a dynamic or written risk assessment was most appropriate. So they could have simply set out clear guidance for when a RA should be written down

The trouble is that Kester Sharpe was equally appaling in her defence of the ridiculous decision to alter the opening hours of the Info Centre so that anyone who works normal hours will struggle to ever ring the info centre ever again.

So I would not want either Deputy UK CC to be given the UK CC role as I think both have shown poor judgement and willingness to defend bad decisions rather than reacting to the feedback from Leaders and altering course to a more sensible one.
    Last edited by shiftypete; 01-09-2020 at 08:32 PM.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL
    2002 - 2018 AESL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shiftypete For This Useful Post:

[email protected] (01-09-2020),pa_broon74 (01-09-2020)

Thanks
    I hope Graeme Hamilton goes for it.
    And when he does not get it we can have great pleasure in telling him to "Just get over it"!

We are at a point where Scouting is in crisis thanks to Covid but also to the ineptitude of many in charge in managing communications, Great Orme and many other aspects. We need someone who listens, consults, thinks, empathises and actually understands front line volunteers.
    John Alexander,
    ASL and Assistant Webmaster
    1st Weald Brook
    http://www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wealdbrook For This Useful Post:

BenOfThe12th (01-09-2020),big chris (01-09-2020),[email protected] (01-09-2020),Dave Davies (01-09-2020),dralphs (02-09-2020),pa_broon74 (01-09-2020),shiftypete (01-09-2020)

Thanks

Consult and engage on social media?

He lectures on social media, there's no consultation involved at all.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

big chris (01-09-2020),[email protected] (01-09-2020),shiftypete (02-09-2020)

Thanks
    Tim is approaching the end of his five year term as UKCC. It has been a very challenge and difficult period, and we must remember that this is a volunteer role and a big one at that.

I like Graeme, he has a way with words and has joined in with some of our county stuff so willingly and it's been nice to read his blogs.
    Keith "Hawkeye"
    (Acting) Beaver Scout Section Leader (Woodbadge)
    Group Executive Committee Member
    Group Badge Secretary
    Group Web Manager
    Group Social Media Manager
    1st Ingleby Barwick (St Francis) Scout Group

https://www.inglebybarwickscouts.org.uk

Facebook Page
    WE NEED MORE ADULT VOLUNTEERS!
    Volunteer at 1st Ingleby Barwick Scout Group
    Section Leaders, Assistant Section Leaders, Sectional Assistants, Occasional Helpers, etc.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dsheehan View Post
    I was involved in the consultation last time. Tim didn't get it because he was Deputy UKCC at the time, there was a whole recruitment process.

- - - Updated - - -

From what I've seen Deputies don't tend to get the top job in Scouting at whatever level. DESC to DC is a very common move. CC has rarely been a deputy.

Rule 66. A map and compass offers no protection against getting horribly lost.

Thanks
    I think the first qualification should be - 'Must be someone who can think while climbing a tree'
    That leaves me out on two counts.

Thanks
    In terms of jobs, for a voluntary organisation...

https://cms.scouts.org.uk/media/1038...3D5E51,43SXR,1

This was contained within the most recent white-wash email (where we're all happy campers blah blah blah).

Is there any place for a document of this complexity in a voluntary organisation?

I can't help but think, in creating all of this bureaucracy, there is a cohort of people who have created some fantastic sinecures for themselves. I'm even prepared to believe they think they've done it for the right reasons, (safety).

I don't doubt for a moment that we need rules, but do they need to be this complicated?

edit

They've added in for exec members trustees...

Complete Module 1 Essential Information,
    Safety, Safeguarding, GDPR and Trustee
    Introduction training within 5 months of the
    role start date.

On page 467. (Joking. It's on the top of page 8, of 34.)

/edit

edit 2

Quite a lot in that document which doesn't make an awful lot of sense. Probably needs another thread - which would be pointless anyway, because I doubt anyone will actually read it. (But it goes on to change the 'manager role' in scouting to include anyone 'who has the responsibility for the effective running of Scouting in their area', but doesn't include section leaders. (on page 4008. Joking. It's on page 19.)

Which I think most section leaders will find confusing...)

/edit 2
    Last edited by pa_broon74; 02-09-2020 at 09:09 AM.