Thread: 2020 National Census Numbers

Thanks
    Thanked 2,555 Times in 1,464 Posts

2020 National Census Numbers

January 2020 seems like a while ago eh? Probably the last normal steady census for a while.

Link to my annual update spreadsheet here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Data taken from here:
    https://prod-cms.scouts.org.uk/media...rt-2019-20.pdf

There may well be errors, also, it's getting messy, HQ have changed how they report things, so all "managers" are lumped together, and a few other adult changes, and so my comparisons of GSL numbers and the like are now impossible. Also they're reporting on the gender in more detail so I've added them in, no comparisons obviously as it's the first year.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

dralphs (08-09-2020),Ian Mallett (09-09-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 931 Posts
    Scout numbers higher than 1997 even with a reduced age range and Explorer number back up above their previous high point of 2015. Pretty happy with that.

Lets hope we can keep these numbers as high as possible under the current circumstances. We have started having emails from parents saying their kids aren't returning this term so we will have to make a decision of how many if any we take off our waiting lists to fill the gaps without stretching our leaders and possibly finances.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL
    2002 - 2018 AESL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

4. The Following User Says Thank You to shiftypete For This Useful Post:

ianw (09-09-2020)

Thanks
    It is showing that the work in the older sections is working. What is concerning is still the younger sections.

Rule 66. A map and compass offers no protection against getting horribly lost.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,724 Times in 1,202 Posts
    With us, it's the younger sections which come and go the most. As leaders pack in and we struggle to replace them. Not sure why, but the scout section seems just to have always been a bit more of a stalwart. (I wonder if the older sections work better because they have a (somewhat) ready supply of new leaders coming directly out at the end?)

I suspect there will be a big drop over the next couple of years, due to Covid (obvs) but also due to rule changes. Already from the tone coming from TSA, we can see they're using the former to cover for the latter.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    I suspect there will be a big drop over the next couple of years, due to Covid (obvs) but also due to rule changes. Already from the tone coming from TSA, we can see they're using the former to cover for the latter.
    Can you explain this a bit more please. I'm getting fed up with seeing the number of beavers who go up to cubs, either failing to move up to scouts, or dropping out of scouts after 6-12 months if they do move up.
    Simba (my daughter wouldn't let me be Rafiki, and now she's a Network Scout & ABSL)
    ABSL
    Birstall Scout Group
    West Yorkshire

Thanks
    Thanked 1,724 Times in 1,202 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mallett View Post
    Can you explain this a bit more please. I'm getting fed up with seeing the number of beavers who go up to cubs, either failing to move up to scouts, or dropping out of scouts after 6-12 months if they do move up.
    Not sure what you want me to explain. My comment you quoted was more to do with the changes made and the timing of them. I think management are going to blame the inevitable drop in membership come census 2021 entirely on Covid - and will utterly fail to acknowledge it has anything to do with the rule change around WRA's.

However, my theory on loss of members between sections (and it's just a theory, albeit based somewhat on experience), is to do with differences in leadership between sections. I know we had it for a while with cubs coming up to scouts. This is a mutual thing, so it's not the fault of any one set of leaders - it's just how things sometimes work. We talk to our scouts as equals - more or less. We don't babble at them like children's TV presenters. We were loosing 50% plus of cubs coming up at one point. It was down to differences in leadership and (possibly more interestingly, or not) a change in management at the local primary school - apparently, the new head was very 'nursery orientated' (not my words, but those of teachers and parents there).

At that time, the kids coming up to scouts were very 'young' - if you see what I mean. We'd have instances of older scouts swearing, and they'd be utterly scandalised. We had a phase of apologetic complaints from parents. They (parents) knew how older kids spoke, but their kids just didn't and were shocked by it. They either grew up quickly and acclimatised, or left.

I only know of this with cub-to-scouts. I have no idea if it exists with beavers-cubs. I suspect it might not be as prevalent because there's still the consistency of schooling. (For us - in Scotland - our losses tend to be mid-scouts when kids move from primary to secondary schools. Since most of our kids are at secondary school, we sometimes tend to cater - in terms of how we lead - to that older age group. We actually find it's better if cubs come up as close to 11 as possible.)

There's also the age-old thing about parents sending their kids to Beavers and Cubs, but the kid choosing to go to Scouts.

It's all anecdotal though.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 931 Posts
    In our Group we have always had our biggest number of drop outs in Scouts and especially the move from Cubs to Scouts.

There are several reasons for this.

1) Our Beavers and Cubs both meet on the same night in adjoining halls and they tend to do a few joint activities, one a term usually. So the move between them is very easy and doesn't involve much disruption in their routine. Scouts (and Explorers) meet on a different night in the same halls. So Cubs moving up to Scouts have to change meeting night, they also are much less likely to have taken part in joint activities as part of weekly meetings so they will have much less idea who the Scout Leaders are (we are more likey to have done a joint camp though).

2) When they move up from Primary to High School, we tend to get some drop outs then as well as our Scouts meet on a Friday and they say they are "too tired" to do Scouts, I am not sure there isn't also some peer pressure involved here as they move to high school and still doing Scouting is seen as uncool.

3) Like Pa-boon we also used to have quite a difference in leadership styles between the Cub and Scout Leaders but this has lessened in the last couple of years with a new CSL but is definitely still a factor in some Cubs not sticking in Scouts after they move up.

However we have worked hard to improve retention in the last few years and if it weren't for Covid would have been on target to return our Group's largest Census return on record (in the current Census system which I have access to)

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL
    2002 - 2018 AESL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shiftypete For This Useful Post:

Ian Mallett (21-09-2020),pa_broon74 (17-09-2020)