Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ah go on then...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,724 Times in 1,202 Posts
    Because the original comment, in terms of it's qualities as a wooden spoon, wasn't quite stirring enough...

I wasn't going to, but I think this is a side of Scottish politics you might not see in England. It's an example of the bizarre lengths some will go, to do down nationalism and the (main) party that supports it. To be fair, Ian Smart is a definite outlier, the point here is, if that was an SNP member of similar standing, he (or she) and the comment would be headline news in the Scottish national press (possibly the UK too) for days.

Also, it's topical, begin as it's very much a comment about Scouts.

smart snip.png

Thanks
    Thanked 3,579 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    Because the original comment, in terms of it's qualities as a wooden spoon, wasn't quite stirring enough...

I wasn't going to, but I think this is a side of Scottish politics you might not see in England. It's an example of the bizarre lengths some will go, to do down nationalism and the (main) party that supports it. To be fair, Ian Smart is a definite outlier, the point here is, if that was an SNP member of similar standing, he (or she) and the comment would be headline news in the Scottish national press (possibly the UK too) for days.

Also, it's topical, begin as it's very much a comment about Scouts.

smart snip.png
    Well, you learn something new every day.

So, Donaldson would have used WW2 to leverage independence, just as the Irish did in WWI - as a local retired Tory politician told me, the ends justify the means ( I didn't agree with him - the Tory that is).

From the viewpoint of someone in England, viewing the media and doing what I can as a keyboard warrior, it is clear that there is no real picture, or understanding of what is happening in Scotland, the bulk of the people are simply not interested. They have the world view of an Idaho potato farmer. It is clear that there is a media bias and the media, BBC in particular are keen to bash Scotland and Scottish developments, all the more so when originated by Holyrood.

However, the incredible thing is that the Scottish newspapers are almost exclusively Unionist in bias. In the past, there was a division between the conservative broadsheets - The Herald and the Scotsman, and the red top Daily Record generally being Labour oriented, as this was where its readership lay. With the largest party, with the largest share of the vote, by any count, is the SNP, then these media outlets sticking firmly to Unionist stances are alienating half of their potential readership - it does not make sense.

It is like the BBC Scotland's perceived bias, which is now under Holyrood scrutiny, it only serves to build mistrust in half of the audience, maybe more. It is an eye-opener, I watch BBC news in Yorkshire and sometimes the features cause raised eyebrows - how could they possibly come up with this story at this time? Where do they find these people? Who are they speaking for?

It was interesting to see that as the influence of the Nationalist grew, and there were increasingly positive reports and letters to The Herald, they decided to , as an English owned publication, launch The National, an Independence oriented newspaper, with a low circulation, and thereby remove the growing influence of Independence writings in the hallowed conservative Herald - firmly pinning its Unionist colours to the masthead - as it were. The Scotsman has always been anything but pro-independence, and was at its worst when edited by Andrew Neil.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,724 Times in 1,202 Posts
    I think the truth of Donaldson's motives and wishes will depend on who/what you read. I haven't read up massively on it so couldn't comment. Except to say, if unionists are using it as a club to beat nationalists, then it's probably not wholly true.

Interestingly (or not), there was a section of SNP support who were for the party going into coalition with the Tories if there was a hung parliament so they could get Brexit through. I think this was when Theresa May was in power. But, the SNP have long made it a rule they'd never go into coalition with the Conservatives, so didn't. (I wasn't in that group, I felt it was a wee bit too much of a compromise, and look what happened to the lib dems. The leadership eventually said naw...)

The newspapers are as much of a joke as they've ever been, and lets not get me started on the BBC... Suffice to say, the headlines in Scottish editions often portray the exact opposite of what is in English Editions, even although they're reporting the same story.

All good fun though.