Thread: Christmas post...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,725 Times in 1,203 Posts

Christmas post...

Hmmm...

I don't want to do it, (and I can't see how we can under the circumstances, little envelopes of potential doom - handled by what might be the single most damaging vector... Anyway, I digress...) Is anyone else doing it?

If we do it, it means we're on the hook for AMS this year...

Hmmm...

Thanks
    The Christmas post in our area has been cancelled for this year.
    Peter

3. The Following User Says Thank You to skipwest For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (23-10-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    Hmmm...

I don't want to do it, (and I can't see how we can under the circumstances, little envelopes of potential doom - handled by what might be the single most damaging vector... Anyway, I digress...) Is anyone else doing it?

If we do it, it means we're on the hook for AMS this year...

Hmmm...
    Shouldn’t you follow the advice of the Scottish medical chief and do it all digitally?

Thanks
    I see two sides to this. Is it any more dangerous than people posting via the royal mail? Indeed if cards are staying in a small village and not being transported to a mail centre and back is it safer?

But... are there precautions that the Royal mail are taking that you couldn't take?

I don't send many Xmas cards... just to a few elderly relatives. (Before you call me a skinflint, For the last few years I've spent the money I would spend posting cards on food for the local food bank. But if I had a choice of paying the royal mail or the scouts I'd pick the scouts... and I think I'd trust the scouts to be as safe as the royal mail (and probably safer than the takeaways etc that put menus through the door)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,579 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by campwarden View Post
    I see two sides to this. Is it any more dangerous than people posting via the royal mail? Indeed if cards are staying in a small village and not being transported to a mail centre and back is it safer?

But... are there precautions that the Royal mail are taking that you couldn't take?

I don't send many Xmas cards... just to a few elderly relatives. (Before you call me a skinflint, For the last few years I've spent the money I would spend posting cards on food for the local food bank. But if I had a choice of paying the royal mail or the scouts I'd pick the scouts... and I think I'd trust the scouts to be as safe as the royal mail (and probably safer than the takeaways etc that put menus through the door)

Round here, the Royal Mail deliver the takeaway menus...

I will refrain from commenting on the currently most infectious group handling the mail...
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by campwarden View Post

Our GSL pointed that out.

To be honest, I think we probably could run it with minimal contact. We could even leave it all sitting for a few days before we delivered.

But, it will end up costing us to do it because it would mean doing a 'face to face' meeting, and we're suspended for now.

Unless we can get adults to do it...

I also don't send any Xmas cards. I send none at all. Not because I'm a skinflint, but because my hatred for that time of year is fairly legendary.

I absolutely detest it. (Also, I'm a skinflint )

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    Round here, the Royal Mail deliver the takeaway menus...

I will refrain from commenting on the currently most infectious group handling the mail...
    Looking at what has come through/to our door in the last week or so, we've had items delivered by:

- Royal mail
    - community association
    - local takeaway (or a contractor delivering on their behalf)
    - parcelforce
    - hermes
    - dpd

I doubt one more would make a hugh difference in risk, and that scouts would probably take far more precautions than some of those listed

That said, I can't see how scouts could sort the mail without multiple handling of items. Doing so while maintaining social distancing might be even harder.

And then there's the issue of selling the stamps, and whether there would be demand.
    Last edited by campwarden; 24-10-2020 at 08:01 AM.

Thanks
    Our local/county wide scheme, Stamp and deliver has closed after 38 years, http://www.stampanddeliver.com it was a large county wide scheme with central sorting offices/collections etc.
    As far as i know the scheme worked roughly like this :
    stamps sold by scouts and in some local shops, post put in special post boxes in local shops etc from there it was collected and sent up to a regional sort office processed and then either sent to a regional sort office elsewhere and then from the sort offices sent back to groups for a final local sort and then delivered.
    Apart from Covid, from what i know this year (2020) was going to be the final one due to a few groups wanting to drop out ( probably due to a lack of volunteers ) and a lack of general volunteers to run the scheme. Covid has just hastened the process

Thanks
    We used to have a district scheme "Back in the day". Worked quite well - rural area where people often send cards to friends in neighbouring villages and remote cottages etc.

There wasn't a regional sorting hub type thing... instead each group used to sort it by "village" and put it into the bag for the group who was allocated to deliver in that village. This was pre-internet so a fair bit of time spent with OS Maps with marked boundaries (good learning exercise).

The leaders from the various groups would usually meet in a pub somewhere one night at the end of "collection" week and exchange bags in the car park before heading in for a pint and to chew the fat about the DC!

The following week groups would distribute and deliver.

Must be well over 10 years, maybe 15 since it last ran. Like many things it died out because the person who organised it retired, and no-one took over. A couple of groups tried to carry on in a half-hearted way but it no longer had the appeal of covering around 10-12 villages and the town. I remember being told that there were always disagreements about how to distribute the money... should it be done on stamps sold, items delivered, or just split equally between the groups.

Thanks
    We only delivered in the village and surrounding farms and houses. We don't do stamps. We set up a table and folk drop off there and pay. (The kids usually man that and stamp the cards with an ink stamp). We do a rough sort as we go and proper sort back at the hall. We collect two Saturdays in a row then deliver on the Sunday.

Since in Scotland kids under 12 don't have to socially distance, we thought it was a great opportunity for legal child labour...

But, if (say) ten kids turned up, we'd have to declare them on the census in January. That will account for any income we'd get from it - and it's a fair bit of work, and usually it's freezing too.