Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: #RaceRoundTheWorld thoughts?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pstretch View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-54724463

How can ‘more than 7,000 groups’ have already signed up for this already?

And why no mention of Group’s single biggest cost and how it’s increasing by 30% in 2021?

They have done a good job at getting it into the media and hopefully this brings external fundraising to scout.

As for the 7,000 groups that have signed up, that cannot be true- there are only 7,500 groups in the country! https://www.scouts.org.uk/groups/ I guess in the group survey run a few months back, they asked whether groups would want fundraising- No one is going to say no to that one!

I had a look at the scouting donation page: https://scouts.enthuse.com/RRTW#!/

£ 20 One-off - Could give a young person internet access on their phone to take part in online activities for a month
    £ 60 One-off - Allows a group to hire an indoor venue, giving 60 young people fun and adventure for a whole month
    £ 100 One-off - Helps Scouts buy walking boots and rucksacks for outdoor activities to achieve top level awards

Are there groups that need to pay for young people to get internet access (maybe provide the equipment?) and pay for walking boots (we would find someone to lend this and have done in the past)? Would 60 pounds really cover hiring of an indoor venue for a whole month?

Would it not be better to quote that it would cost around 20 quid to hire a venue for one session? Then for 30 pound, you can allow one scout to attend scouts for the whole term who would not be able to afford it (paying subscriptions) or attend a camp (when we can do it!)
    Last edited by Simon11; 29-10-2020 at 09:57 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,725 Times in 1,203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    They're not, it's based on who's a member as at the census date.
    Right, that would be the absolute logical version of how it's supposed to be. But since I'd be telling TSA etc that our census is zero due to stopping for covid it would, in my view, be difficult to return no members on the census on that basis if we'd been active during the period of Covid restrictions.

Which is why I said it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    I heard a bit on the radio this morning - a group at risk of closure because they cannot do any fundraising...

No group should be run on the basis that it cannot survive if it does not fundraise. (I am sure that it's perilous state is down to more than the lack of fundraising)

I have always argued that you take your fixed costs, and divide them by your minimum number of members, and base your fees on that figure. There can be a bit of leeway on start-up, but surely the fixed costs must be met from subs, else you are on a hiding to nothing.

In our example, we said a minimum viable number of 15, we worked out our fixed costs, divided it by fifteen, and any membership over 15 was a bonus. It worked out at about £3 per week. Which is favourable to any other activity in our area, cheaper than some that should have lower fixed costs!

Fundraising is for extras. Surely?
    I think it depends. We're the other way round - although - I think it's a perspective/subjective thing, that's just how I view it.

Our fundraisers are (or were) established. They could be relied upon, so the did fund the fixed costs. Our share of subs, (bearing in mind our subs are very low) subsidised activities. Again though, maybe that's just how I look at it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    Right, that would be the absolute logical version of how it's supposed to be. But since I'd be telling TSA etc that our census is zero due to stopping for covid it would, in my view, be difficult to return no members on the census on that basis if we'd been active during the period of Covid restrictions.

Which is why I said it.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it depends. We're the other way round - although - I think it's a perspective/subjective thing, that's just how I view it.

Our fundraisers are (or were) established. They could be relied upon, so the did fund the fixed costs. Our share of subs, (bearing in mind our subs are very low) subsidised activities. Again though, maybe that's just how I look at it.
    So you would knowingly commit fraud by putting zero?

Rule 66. A map and compass offers no protection against getting horribly lost.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by marcush View Post
    I thought pa was saying the opposite - if he'd run an activity during covid he couldn't in conscious say the group had stopped during covid.
    John Russell
    ex-CSL now ACSL 1st Pinhoe Exeter Devon
    Cubs don't care how much you know, but they need to know how much you care.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnR For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (29-10-2020),shiftypete (29-10-2020)

Thanks
    Actually, I was trying to do the right thing morally - which goes beyond the expectations of POR.

If we were to adhere to the rules as laid out by Neil, we could run Xmas post in December, and get the kids out for a virtual camp in their back gardens in the middle of January - and still return zero numbers on the day of census.

But we didn't want to do that, because it seems dishonest. However, not having done anything at all since June, and telling parents and members that we have suspended Scouting until Easter 2021 - we thought that was a clearer position.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

Bushfella (29-10-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,579 Times in 1,938 Posts

Not what he has said.

But, if you have not been running, taken no suns, then Zero is a truthful response.

If I had to do a census, I would return Zero, I also am paying no insurance this year...
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (29-10-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pstretch View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-54724463

How can Ďmore than 7,000 groupsí have already signed up for this already?

And why no mention of Groupís single biggest cost and how itís increasing by 30% in 2021?
    Because it is clearly an unchecked press release from TSA, perhaps?
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.Ě Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBaloo View Post
    Because it is clearly an unchecked press release from TSA, perhaps?
    Sometimes the BBC report like a local newspaper. A lot of what's in the article is probably just a generalised guess. I would suggest it's not really news, more an advert for the fundraisers.

(I also think the claim 'The majority of groups were now "back up and running"...' is probably optimistic.)

nele
    Thanks
    I signed up for our group, then discovered the fundraising page isn't capable of taking donations from abroad without considerable extra costs per transaction and you can't sign out again.. Nor can BSO groups benefit from 20% back to the group, or even nominate a UK based group to get the money instead.. So after discussing briefly we aren't taking part, but can't get off the list.

We've lost 20% of our membership this year.. We are now back in lockdown here, although we did run some outdoor face to face meetings earlier this term. We set up our budget to include extra rental as we can't meet in the schools we use normally and/or cost of some external resources for virtual meetings. We also have double HQ fees because we're a member of Belgian scouting as well as UK which is a fixed cost pp, so we can't avoid paying that. I've sent an activity pack to our scouts, to help them do activities from home. Much more crafts then we'd normally do in one term, but they are all things we've done successfully in the past. It means even if they don't join online they can do some of the programme without parents scrabbling for resources. I couldn't do that at no cost, although I've used up a lot of stuff that was sitting in cupboards too. On our budget we're taking a substantial loss, but really who can budget for all the unknown elements? We hope to be camping etc again next spring...

We charge subs annually in September. We have offered reductions or spread fees if that was an issue, but the majority paid.
    However some parents decided they wouldn't risk F2F at all, and didn't like virtual and are taking up to a year off. Most are back on the waiting list, so they don't need to pay.. in many cases by next summer they'd have moved sections anyway. They will have priority to rejoin at any point they feel safe to do so. I felt that was better then them just leaving with no link, they may not all rejoin, but we will at least send them invitations.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nele For This Useful Post:

johnL (06-11-2020),scoutgamer (07-11-2020)

Yes, I've got the T-shirt Sparkgap's Avatar
    Thanks
    We've been lucky in that although we haven't been able to meet F2F we still have an income from various hirings of our HQ, plus we've qualified for some of the various grants available which has helped. We have the local British Legion poppy appeal based in a room in our HQ which they rent from us, but in view of their loss of income we've waived their rent for this year. We also won't be spending so much on heating and lighting! Our main expense is the annual extortion from district/HQ, however going on numbers taking part in our online meetings I expect we'll be returning a drop of at least 50% in the next census.

Like some of the other comments, if HQ had said to split the fundraising 50/50 we might have been able to generate some interest, but 20%? No chance.
    Andy
    SL 1st Wellington
    www.wellingtonscouts.org

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparkgap For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (06-11-2020)